Another Bad Example

This is a discussion on Another Bad Example within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are so many law abiding CC'ers, I hate to see an article like this where so many are trying to change the stance of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Another Bad Example

Another Bad Example

There are so many law abiding CC'ers, I hate to see an article like this where so many are trying to change the stance of the state.

Virginia man charged with handgun violations - The Frederick News-Post Online

So many times an example like this outweighs the hard work of others. Although I may not agree with the law at times, working to change it is the best way to approach it until all of our constitutional rights are honored in all states as they should be. Kudos to all that do it right.

~SGT

2. Remove Ads

Unfortunatly, it only takes one bad example for others to classify a group of people...it throws a wrench into the advancements (in gun laws, cc reputation ect..) that most of us have worked very hard to get ove the years...
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

Exactly my point. I have a lot of friends in MD working and hoping the "may issue" is changed to "shall issue". As I grew up in MD, I'm very glad that I now live in a state where shall issue is the norm and Castle Doctrine is now in place. This is often how main stream media gives law abiding gun owners, and those OC/CC'ers a bad wrap, utilizing the evil gun crimes and never noting the positive impacts such as lower crime rates, etc.

Openly carrying in front of a police officer when in a state that doesn't reciprocate....FAIL. At least he wasn't doing something super boneheaded like drinking or shooting himself in the leg. Either he didn't realize he was out of state, didn't know the laws on state reciprocation, or he was just ignorant all the way around. In any event, not good for anyone.
    21bubba likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Yep, It is my opinion that 10 - 20% of people who carry probably should not be allowed. Can't fix stupid.
    threefeathers and SGT like this.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Is the charge a misdemeanor or a felony,if it's a felony and he is convicted,then he will lose his right to carry anywhere
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Is the charge a misdemeanor or a felony,if it's a felony and he is convicted,then he will lose his right to carry anywhere
    I believe in the Peoples Republic of Maryland it is a felony charge.

If your going to carry, know the laws of the state your in and traveling through. There are too many resources available NOT to know the law.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It is incumbent on those of us with permits to KNOW the laws regarding carry in our own state cold. It is our responsibility to (at the very least) familiarize ourselves with the laws of the states we are traveling thru.

Until the permit is treated like a drivers license (valid in all states), we can't be stupid about it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Whats a "Highpoint?" LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT View Post
    Exactly my point. I have a lot of friends in MD working and hoping the "may issue" is changed to "shall issue".
    It will probably never happen in either your lifetime or mine. I lived in Baltimore for 18 years and the anti-gun sentiment in both houses of the legislature is famous for their quashing of anything that even smacks of supporting the 2nd Amendment. There hasn't been a pro-gun AG in Maryland in at least the last 25 years.

My wife was assaulted outside our home, just two blocks from the Inner Harbor, and it took BPD over 20 minutes to respond.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by SGT View Post
    Exactly my point. I have a lot of friends in MD working and hoping the "may issue" is changed to "shall issue". As I grew up in MD, I'm very glad that I now live in a state where shall issue is the norm and Castle Doctrine is now in place. This is often how main stream media gives law abiding gun owners, and those OC/CC'ers a bad wrap, utilizing the evil gun crimes and never noting the positive impacts such as lower crime rates, etc.
    From what I understand usually when a state goes from may issue to shall issue, they also allow for reciprocal honoring of out of state licenses because they overhaul so much of the law that they throw that in. It would really be something if MD were to allow licenses from other states. As a Florida resident, I have to go completely unarmed when I visit my parents in MD.

I wonder, however, whether "shall issue" is enough. I think MD also requires a permit to purchase and possess a handgun, as well as registration. So maybe even with shall issue and reciprocal arrangements, you might have to do something else to bring in a handgun, even as a tourist, into MD.

Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    Whats a "Highpoint?" LOL.
    A HiPoint is a brand of inexpensive weapon that is known to be accurate, reliable after break in, guaranteed for life, and equally capable of killing a person as any other brand of handgun. Generally too heavy and cumbersome for concealed carry on person, they can make a very good "trunk gun" or "truck gun."

Some have been known to fail after having some 20,000 rounds put through them. But a quick, painless trip back to the factory results in a complete rebuild, at no cost (except shipping) and the owner would probably get a free additional magazine on it's return.

So, LOL back at ya bud.. this ain't a snob forum. Carry whatever you can afford to, do so responsibly (unlike the fellow in the article), and best wishes to you.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ugh, gotta pay attention man! And if it was spotted, he wasn't CCing very well now was he.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedG30 View Post
    Yep, It is my opinion that 10 - 20% of people who carry probably should not be allowed. Can't fix stupid.
    This. The same goes for driving and from much the same members of the population.
    SGT likes this.

I understand gun rights activism and the proper use of civil disobedience, but that was just plain stupid.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links