Time to stop being lazy

Time to stop being lazy

This is a discussion on Time to stop being lazy within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first true post about anything so I hope i don't sound to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Time to stop being lazy

Time to stop being lazy

I have been reading this forum for a while but this is my first true post about anything so I hope i don't sound to ignorant.The reason my title reads what it does is because the other night there was an incident at my apartment building and I have yet to take my CHL classes after my 21st bday earlier this year. Anyways the other night My wife and I were home, she was showering I was playing a little xbox before I went to bed. I was playing Call of Duty so the sound of shots is a common thing. However what I heard this night sounded too real, I took my headphones off almost immediately after hearing what I thought to be fireworks at first, I stepped to my balcony sliding door/window and looked out through the blinds (I live on the first floor, the window I am referring too faces the only entrances to the apartment and the street) I see nothing and hear nothing for about 45 seconds then I hear another "pop" it wasn't coming from the street but was actually coming from an apartment about 100 ft away from my front door. I realize what I am hearing is not fireworks but in fact gun shots, I run to my room and get my pistol off my desk and turn off the lights in the apartment. I go to the front door to look out of the peep hole and I still see nothing, but at this point I am on the phone with 911 reporting the sound of gunfire. I keep looking out the peep hole and answering all the questions I could for the 911 operator, then as I'm looking out my neighbors step out of their front door cautiously and start looking around. Not sure whether to warn them or keep myself safe I crack the door and whisper to get back inside. No sooner do they close their door I hear to more shots and what I thought to be a door slam then a car started and screeched off, I step back from my front door and move to my balcony door to see if I can see anyone leaving in a hurry to at least try and get a license plate. When I look out however I see police all over the street (no lights or sirens for some reason) and blocking both gates, so I go to my bedroom and sit with my wife for about 20 minutes. Not sure what to do at this point and too awake/nervous to go to bed I call the 911 operator back and ask what the status of my call was. All she could tell me was they arrested 2 men as they were trying to leave my apartments.

That was the end of my night, my question is did I handle this well? What could I have done different? It also makes me want to stop being lazy and go take my classes so if something else ever does happen I will be prepared, also I am aware that I can legally carry inside my residence but the next time I might not be at home.

I think you did ok. You armed yourself and hunkered down.

A lot of inexperienced people would've ventured out too far, and got themselves in trouble.

don't waste any time getting your permit, then get some good training from a reputable instructor. You never know when trouble will find you, even if you're at home minding your own business.

Oh, and be sure to take your wife with you
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Sounds like you did fine. Hazards of apartment living. By all means get the CWP for in case you need to bug out or something happens while you're already out.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

In Texas you can carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a CHL and concealed from car to apartment and vice versa,the reason you didn't hear sirens or see any flashing lights is because when LEO's respond to crimes in progress they turn lights and sirens off several blocks away from the scene so the BG's don't know they are coming,get your CHL and keep yer head on a swivel.

One more thing I realise that headphones may allow you to be quiet,but they may prevent you from hearing something like breaking glass until it's too late,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Where I live, it is not at all uncommon to hear gunshots. I don't live in apartments either.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think you did fine, especially if 911 did not receive any other calls but yours. It hurts nothing to be prepared.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yeah you did fine. Turned off lights, called 911, armed yourself and didn't venture out. Sounds like what I would have done. I have a scanner that I turn on whenever something is going on around my house and hear sirens. Don't have to call 911 back and tie up a line that way.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Sounds like you handled it very well. Especially by hunkering down instead of venturing out. Curiosity killed the cat. I give you an atta boy!
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

You did great! I won't give any advice other than what I may have done, and made the wife do. I probably would have grabbed the gun, cell phone and hunkered down in the bath tub and called 911. Not beyond the possibility for bullets to penetrate several apartment walls and then some. Good job!

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad I had the right idea. Will be doubly prepared if something happens again. Also already signed up for my class.
    Brady likes this.

Sounds like you did well by hunkering down for safety. Its good you didn't go outside with your gun to be a hero.

Remember, when you get your permit, its to protect yourself and not to act like a cop or try to save the world.

And good luck on getting your wife to get her permit as well. Hopefully an incident like this will be all it takes to convince her.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Sounds like you did good; especially telling your neighbor to get back inside since they apparently didn't have the sense to.
    I can't really make any recommendations, except maybe looking into a good pump 12ga. Handgun is great, but 12ga beats handgun every time- not to mention that a good buckshot would probably penetrate your door better if someone were to try kicking it in, instead of letting them get it open and trying to get a good hit with the handgun.

Just my .02.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

You did a good job man. Hard to say what would have happened had you not made that call to 911 and alerted your neighbor to get back inside. The outcome was uneventful and that's a good thing I think!

eb
    Yeah I agree man, you did exactly the right thing. Defensive carry is just that: defensive. The only excuse for possibly engaging someone offensively would be if it was clear that a bad guy was shooting innocent people or going "berserk". All too often its hard to tell when looking at a situation from afar who the BG is in the first place. Plus if the police show up and you're some dude out there with a gun, they will assume you're a bad guy so its always a good idea to let the police do their jobs and protect yourself and your loved ones first and foremost.

It sounds like your call caused the shooters to possibly be nabbed, and thats awesome. All without having to shoot anybody or get into any legal hassles yourself. :)

VIP Member
    You did fine. You armed yourself, you called 911 and most important, you stayed inside your apartment.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links