Concerns about carrying conceal and... - Page 3

Concerns about carrying conceal and...

This is a discussion on Concerns about carrying conceal and... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by apvbguy the OP probably hasn't taken his wally walk yet. I did that a couple of weeks ago. Definetly felt weird at ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Concerns about carrying conceal and...

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the OP probably hasn't taken his wally walk yet.
    I did that a couple of weeks ago. Definetly felt weird at first, then got to be fun so I followed up with a Grocery Outlet, Trader Joes, and Autozone. No one notice a thing. Then , on the way home I ended up getting caught up in a DUI screen ,, that got my heart pumping, cops everywhere. Got there early though and they were still setting up and just flagged me through.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The full sized 1911 can conceal well because it's so slim. Double stack semi auto weapons get a little "fuller" in the grip and this is what "prints" most of all. Small revolvers conceal remarkably well, because everything is rounded.
    This is why I was considering trading in my HK for a 1911... Unfortanutely I am very fond of the 9mm round and I really really like double stack 9mm's so I'm just going to have to dress better.

As for the OP I would suggest "experimenting"... Hickock45 is doing a new line of videos on youtube about carrying a firearm and he makes good points, while giving high praise to the CBST. I'd check out those videos if I was you. I VERY rarely find myself carrying small of back (I know it isn't recommended) because sometimes that double stack HK just wont conceal well at 3 oclock and the grip will print at 4-5 oclock.

It's not illegal to print where I live, but my worry about printing and or brandishing isn't the anti-gun people that will freak out... I have a fear that I will become a target, like someone (that saw my gun printing) looking for troubble making false accusations that I pulled my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    You raise a good point. Perception is everything, and someone who is neatly dressed instead of wearing "pants on the ground" is usually not perceived as any sort of threat.
    Shirts with patterns (like tacky Hawaiian shirts) seem to break up printing to where it isn't noticeable. I OC with an IWB at times and hardly anyone seems to notice. Too absorbed in their blackberries.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Don't be bad mouthing my shirts.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Try adding a little more forward cant to tuck the rear of the grip in more. While I don't have any patterned shirts, I use dark solid colors (gray, black, blue) for my cover shirts. I'm a tails out T-shirt and blue jeans kind of dresser. When bending over in public, I usually drop to my strong side knee which keeps any possible printing to an absolute minimum. I carry a bobtailed full size 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck at the 3:00 position and have never been made. Build-wise, I'm 6'-0" and 205 lbs.

If someone ever does balk at my waistline, I will just tell them "It's my colostomy bag. Its getting a little on the full side from the mexican lunch I had....care to go with me to change it out?"

I too, am a biker, I too have long hair in a pony and a long beard. LOL I am an accountant. I have a vest that has conceal inside pockets, it has a band to hold the gun close. I put a piece of thin cardboard on the outside of my weapon to keep from printing. I carry a Ruger SR9 or SR 40 big guns to conceal but it works well. My vest has some patches about second amendment stuff. And the one over the pocket says if you can read this you are in range. No problems relax.

Quote Originally Posted by dusty153 View Post
    I too, am a biker, I too have long hair in a pony and a long beard. LOL I am an accountant. I have a vest that has conceal inside pockets, it has a band to hold the gun close. I put a piece of thin cardboard on the outside of my weapon to keep from printing. I carry a Ruger SR9 or SR 40 big guns to conceal but it works well. My vest has some patches about second amendment stuff. And the one over the pocket says if you can read this you are in range. No problems relax.
    Really, no CCW badge... maybe a sash?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    This is why I was considering trading in my HK for a 1911... Unfortanutely I am very fond of the 9mm round and I really really like double stack 9mm's so I'm just going to have to dress better.

As for the OP I would suggest "experimenting"... Hickock45 is doing a new line of videos on youtube about carrying a firearm and he makes good points, while giving high praise to the CBST. I'd check out those videos if I was you. I VERY rarely find myself carrying small of back (I know it isn't recommended) because sometimes that double stack HK just wont conceal well at 3 oclock and the grip will print at 4-5 oclock.

It's not illegal to print where I live, but my worry about printing and or brandishing isn't the anti-gun people that will freak out... I have a fear that I will become a target, like someone (that saw my gun printing) looking for troubble making false accusations that I pulled my gun.
    Buy a 9mm 1911, problem solved
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Bend at the knees so as to keep your back straight. It's better for your body mechanically, & you get the benefit of not printing as much. I went with as heavy of a cant in the 4:30 position as I could comfortably draw from to further reduce the possibility, & I find it more comfortable for me.

What I find helps most, though, is to not give a squat about someone figuring out what that bulge is. I don't think most people recognize the form of a pistol grip anyways.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Watch this and let me know if you are still worried about the general public noticing a bulge in a random person's shirt out in public.

Derren Brown - Person Swap - YouTube
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

^ funny and hardly anyone noticed^.. I've printed and no one ever mentioned any thing to me
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

That is quite funny

In Louisville, ky you can open carry-gold star state and plus I have my CCDW permit. So I really don't care if my weapon is printing and once you get use to carrying, you learn real fast that most of the folks don't care! Because they are probably carrying to. Just my two cents on this matter!

Quote Originally Posted by hdsteve69 View Post
    Ya I'm sure I will become more comfortable after time . I think my concern comes cause I Am not to clean cut ,long hair worn in a ponytail ,gotee ,tattooed from wrists to neck both sides with both ears pierced twice usually on my harley so people tend to look at me with some fear to begin with. But its just the way I look . I always say I'm like a peanut m&m hard candy shell, soft and sweet on the inside but alittle nutty.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Dude, No one is going to notice a bulge. They are way too busy trying to not look at you. LOL!

I'm thinking the hawaiian shirt won't work for you. Vest with carry pockets would more fit your look.

+1 on the bend at the knees thing. Also learn to position your carry side away from people when you are bending or reaching And when reaching, reach with you weak hand this will help keep your cover garment from pulling up and exposing the gun
    Question Everything!

Mmmmmm...me thinks that YOU, worry way too much.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links