Concerns about carrying conceal and...

This is a discussion on Concerns about carrying conceal and... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am moving to Colorado and have been doing some research, as has been noted CO is an open carry state, as is Missouri where ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Concerns about carrying conceal and...

I am moving to Colorado and have been doing some research, as has been noted CO is an open carry state, as is Missouri where I now live, so don't worry about printing, nothing illegal. There has been plenty of good advise already given on keeping concealed so take what works for you and use it.

I worked at a gun shop/indoor range and open carried for a summer almost every day, you would be surprised the number of people that would start talking to me about guns (wearing my logoed work shirt) and be surprised when I told them I was carrying a gun at the time, and get bug-eyed when I pointed it out. I carried a Para-Ordnance P-14, a double stack 5" 1911, no small piece and many, many people never noticed it, So don't worry too much about the average sheeple spotting you printing, especially with everyone carrying smart phones these days, bulges under shirts don't automatically mean a gun.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnInFla View Post
    Whether people notice or get spooked or whatever is beside the point ... if "concealed is concealed" then I believe it's up to me to minimize printing as much as possible. My solution was to go FROM IWB carry @ 4:00 TO AIWB carry @ 2:30. Now I can bend or twist or squat or whatever and have not a hint of printing. I've got the holster set to a significant cant so that when I'm sitting, the muzzle points to the outside of my leg. It's more comfortable that way as well as being safer.
    I've done basically the same thing. I carry at the 2 - 2:30 position 99% now.

My experience is people are generally oblivious to their surroundings. I mean really, who is going to look that hard at your hip? In the world of larger "smart phones" most people probably just think it is a phone.

Paranoid is a &*?@ sometimes!
    I trained everyday and will be ready for the day that I have to defend myself or my family!

As a new CCL holder myself, this was a real worry for me. I am not a skinny guy and the gun "to me" seemed to protrude more than I like because of my love handles. I have a particular way I dress that does not involve oversized clothes and considering the weather in Texas this summer, just wearing clothes put me in the minority it seemed. My first step was I adjust the gun I was carrying to a smaller frame. Second, i invested in a top IWB holster. Third, I experimented. I found that even in my most fitted shirts, no one noticed or cared to notice what may or may not be sitting on my hip. How many times do you notice buldges or "prints" on peoples belt lines?? (especially before you carried) Truth is people just don't pay attention to oddities like a slight buldge on the belt. Wear whats comfortable, and OUTWARDLY pretend its not there. People will notice unusaul movement before unusual clothing. (constantly adjusting gun, continual playing with the hem of your shirt, awkwardly reaching for items...etc.)

eb
    I am able to spot people carrying these days from time to time, but before I carried myself I never did. I just know what to look for now. The average person doesn't walk around looking for gun imprints or even assumes that you'd have a gun in the first place. There is only so much you can do, so just do the best you can and experiment.

I have noticed if I go to large sporting goods stores that sell guns like Bass Pro, Cabelas or Sportsmans that I can usually spot a few CC'ing as these places attract folks like us usually. I sort of think of it as a game when I go to those stores now. I did see a guy at Bass Pro on Sunday that was pretty small and attempting to conceal what must have been a full-size service pistol or 1911 IWB appendix carry wearing a loose button down shirt. I could completely make out the handle and rear part of the frame, so his method could use some work, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    If someone ever does balk at my waistline, I will just tell them "It's my colostomy bag. Its getting a little on the full side from the mexican lunch I had....care to go with me to change it out?"
    ROFL :)

Got to remember dat....

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    1. Cargo pants, check;
    2. Remora, check;
    3. PM9, check.

No print, no problem, SD is in the pocket.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

I OC most of the time. I have never had oposition to me with a gun. ( Idaho is not the same as everywhere else) But I am clean cut very polite and make sure my behaviour is perfect. Impressions are more important than an occasional flash or print. Just my two (2) pennies worth.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I would add that there is a difference between somebody actively noticing something and passively noticing. Here's a few examples:

Active noticing: I have a concealed carry license so I always look around every door when I walk into a business to see if they have any signs that pertain to me. That doesn't mean I will always see it if it is the size of a credit card and hidden in an inconspicuous place. In order for somebody to actively notice you have a buldge in the side of your shirt, that means they were probably looking for it specifically.

Passive noticing: I walk next to a guy in Wal-Mart who is dressed as a clown with colorful hair, makeup, clown-suit. I'm going to notice him almost no matter what unless I'm blind. But if a guy has a t-shirt on that has the lyrics to some song from a band I've never heard of or care about, I'm not likely to notice.

Its the same with the printing. Nobody is looking for it, and most wouldn't know what it is even if they saw it. As long as you don't draw attention to yourself, nobody has any reason to look at you. Now, mind you, if you are a hot girl with a nice body and you are wearing tightly fitting clothing, you can expect every hetero-sexual male over the age of 13 to look you over at least once when you walk by. Your curves will be foremost on his mind, so if there is a strange bulge in a place that doesn't belong, then it might be noticed. But if you are a male, or an ugly girl then you probably have nothing to worry about.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Cool

5.11 shirt or any shirt made to be worn outside the pants.

Quality IWB holster (High Noon Public Secret shown here) worn appendix .

Quality belt (Beltman shown here).

Glock 19, 23 (shown here) or 36.

No real problems. It's what works for me.

photo.jpgphoto.jpg

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I know that for me at least IWB holsters conceal very well. Also "Soft" grips rubber,neoprene ect. clothing tends to cling to those grips.

I think it's normal when you first start carrying to be nervous about it and worry about printing. After awhile you start to realize that nobody really cares. I'm convinced 90% of people wouldn't notice if you open carried. Concealed, nobody is going to notice. They're too worried about making it home to watch the latest episode of whatever stupid reality show is on tv than to care if someone else in the store/gas station/church/whatever is carrying a gun. Out of sight, out of mind.

David

I've been carrying concealed for about 35 years. I do my best to conceal and choose my attire with this in mind, but printing and other "wardrobe malfunctions" occur. I have come to take the position that I have no control over how others may react, so it does me no good to worry about it. If the fact that I am armed upsets some of the sheeple, they can plant a nice big wet one right on my ! As the polite version goes, "If you can't take a joke you are one!"
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Vampire Crossdraw Driving Holster

This holster can be worn horizontally anywhere on your belt. Position of the butt makes it the easiest to conceal & not print. I wear t-shirt & shorts most year round. Horizontal position makes wight factor almost nil and the draw is fast.
    Smith&Wesson1.jpg Holster E.jpg Holster C.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links