Concerns about carrying conceal and...

This is a discussion on Concerns about carrying conceal and... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; people seeing my weapon print. So I have been carrying concealed for 3 weeks now my normal attire has been in the iwb with a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Concerns about carrying conceal and...

people seeing my weapon print. So I have been carrying concealed for 3 weeks now my normal attire has been in the iwb with a tight fitting tank top under shirt and a loose fitting button up shirt over that with 2 buttons buttoned leaving the bottem button undone, my issue is when I am standing straight up there is no problem but if Im leaning over or bent over my shirt seems to want to wrap around the grip of the gun and Ive noticed some people have noticed it and seem to back off. Should I worry about this or not. I am getting sick of wearing the button up shirts and looking at getting a tuckable holster like the mtac or something close but I am afraid with a tshirt this problem will be worse unless I wear a shirt way to big for me then I will look like a thug wearing clothes to big for me. Any suggestions or just tell me shut up and dont worry about it.

VIP Member
    Put a little more cant on your holster if it is adjustable, and upsize your cover garments. Belt holsters and form fitting clothing rarely go together. If that is your "style" then you may want to consider a different carry method or the size of your firearm. Pocket or ankle carry of a sub-compact or J-frame revolver might be a good alternative.
    Bombsaway and tcox4freedom like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    A lot of people are scared at the sight of guns and will run and report a MWAG. Makes no difference to them if it's legal or not. I keep mine concealed, but like you say, sometimes I slip up and print. I learned a long time ago that I cannot control how other people think or feel, so I don't worry about it. If they call me in I just show the LEO my HCP when they show up and so far all has been well.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

I used to worry about printing, but the more I carry, the less it concerns me. I'm one of those people who dresses around my weapon, but there are instants where you're going to print no matter what you're wearing.

Best thing is just to keep carrying until you realize that most people are too self-absorbed to notice anything around them. And if they do notice, then for all they know I could be wearing a cell phone or an insulin pump.

Ya I have been starting to feel that way ,I mean Im legal and I do the best I can to conceal so I will just not worry about the people around me. Thanks guys .

I am very self conscience about printing as well. Do you need to worry about it? IMO your asking the wrong the question. You obviously ARE worried about it so that's the important part. The question that needs to be asked and answered is how to address it. More cant (as was already suggested) is a good tip. Larger cover garment (as also already suggested). Perhaps a different gun? What are you carrying now? Are you snugging your belt up tight enough to keep the gun close to your body? What type of holster are you using?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I'm not sure how the laws are in CO, but as long as it isn't breaking the law to print, I wouldn't worry about it. I used to be overly concerned about it to and for years I went to great lengths to prevent printing, even though it often caused me much discomfort. Now I realize that no matter how badly I print, nobody really notices. Try some experiments, that is what I finally did. I put on a tighter shirt and an OWB holster which prints a lot more than normal and then I spent the evening with several friends and family over a period of a week or so. At the end of each encounter I'd ask the people I was with if they noticed anything unusual about me or my clothing. Nobody did. Even after I pointed out the bulge, most people did not know what it was, even people who were aware that I carried a gun.
    PPKman likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

hdsteve69,

1. Carry gun
    2. Holster
    3. Clothing

In that order...

Your choice of carry gun determines the holster. The package of gun and holster determine the clothing.

Secret Service carries some BULK under those (custom tailored, no doubt) suits.

Most advocate dressing around the gun... I HATE to do that. I do it , but I do it as little as possible...

For truly deep concealment where there are no outward signs (or "tells"), you will most likely need 2 handed draw... SmartCarry and it's type are one way, Cel Pal is another... Cel Pal does allow a onehanded draw, but it's slower. And, in all honesty, you could maybe do one handed draw with smart carry.. Both of these holsters carry a variety of handguns, and can truly conceal most all of them... but you gotta find the "sweet spot." And then you gotta practice the draw thousands of times to get it fast and efficient, and ingrained in "muscle memory."

Pocket holsters. Lots of options here, if your weapon platform is diminutive enough to fit in a pocket...

Some of the .380s can take the place of a wallet (in a wallet type pocket holster, and not print at all... I do like this option, as if you are mugged and the BG wants your wallet... well... he can "have it!" But I don't yet have a .380

Some go in the front pocket... and will allow slightly bulkier weapons... But for me that would mean bulkier pants with deep or custom pockets.

From there we have to dress around the gun even more...

Next is tuckable IWB, Many holsters do this. Many of them are adjustable for cant and depth of carry. Some allow a 30 day trial, or longer... you could try some of them, and not fill up a holster drawer (or box) with unused holsters. "Blouse" the shirt at the bottom, no "military tuck" or tailored shirts.

OWB ... LOTS of options here... and here's where you have to have cover garments. Your cover garment can be as little as a Hawaiian shirt in the summer, to a jacket in the fall and coat in winter. Some have adjustable cant, some allow 3 styles of cant, vertical, FBI, or small of back (latter is not recommended unless you want a spinal injury). These will fill a holster box quickly.

Shoulder rigs... Require Cover Jackets (Secret Service (TV version) comes to mind, complete with ear buds, coiled wires and shades). But you can look "normal" with a shoulder rig in cooler weather...

The full sized 1911 can conceal well because it's so slim. Double stack semi auto weapons get a little "fuller" in the grip and this is what "prints" most of all. Small revolvers conceal remarkably well, because everything is rounded.

There are belly bands, and Tshirts that will hold a weapon... now you gotta rip buttons, or get velcro fake buttons or snaps or magnets... custom clothing to carry a gun... I just don't like the idea...

Now, here's the last word... you can probably wear "tac clothing," print like mad, and wear a CWP lapel pin (the badge is just toooooo much)... and most people will not notice... But all the wrong people will notice (that includes LEO in this case, he's gonna think you're a wannabe at the least).

You wanna know what I carry?

P64 in an ACE case tuckable... sometimes instead, a CZ82 in the same holster... The ACE case has NO retention.. the belt has to do that... and I can't probably do handstands to "prove" I'm not carrying. I can tuck it if need be, or wear Hawaiian shirts and be untucked. Most here would not recommend the ACE case... It has served me very well... To each his own...

Remember: MOST PEOPLE ARE TOO SELF ABSORBED TO NOTICE A LUMP UNDER YOUR CLOTHING... It could be a cel phone case...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I carry one of these 3 weapons a kahr k40,springfield xd40 subcompact or a glock 19 surprisingly the glock prints less than the kahr cause the kahr has rubber grips which tends to grab the shirt when I am bending over. Like I said when I standing straight up there is no problem with either weapon .I am carrying iwb with a typical cheap open top conceal holster which I will be replacing next week for a tuckable holster. When I am carrying I keep my belt pretty tight I am thinking canting will fix my problem and maybe alittle less worrying about it on my part.

I have similar concerns about printing but recently came to the conclusion, that the only people who will notice are like minded individuals who are probably carrying also :)

A little bit larger clothes probably won't make you look thuggish.

But most people will have no clue anyways.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    hdsteve69,
    1. Carry gun
    2. Holster
    3. Clothing

In that order...

Your choice of carry gun determines the holster. The package of gun and holster determine the clothing.

Secret Service carries some BULK under those (custom tailored, no doubt) suits.

Most advocate dressing around the gun... I HATE to do that. I do it , but I do it as little as possible...

For truly deep concealment where there are no outward signs (or "tells"), you will most likely need 2 handed draw... SmartCarry and it's type are one way, Cel Pal is another... Cel Pal does allow a onehanded draw, but it's slower. And, in all honesty, you could maybe do one handed draw with smart carry.. Both of these holsters carry a variety of handguns, and can truly conceal most all of them... but you gotta find the "sweet spot." And then you gotta practice the draw thousands of times to get it fast and efficient, and ingrained in "muscle memory."

Pocket holsters. Lots of options here, if your weapon platform is diminutive enough to fit in a pocket...

Some of the .380s can take the place of a wallet (in a wallet type pocket holster, and not print at all... I do like this option, as if you are mugged and the BG wants your wallet... well... he can "have it!" But I don't yet have a .380

Some go in the front pocket... and will allow slightly bulkier weapons... But for me that would mean bulkier pants with deep or custom pockets.

From there we have to dress around the gun even more...

Next is tuckable IWB, Many holsters do this. Many of them are adjustable for cant and depth of carry. Some allow a 30 day trial, or longer... you could try some of them, and not fill up a holster drawer (or box) with unused holsters. "Blouse" the shirt at the bottom, no "military tuck" or tailored shirts.

OWB ... LOTS of options here... and here's where you have to have cover garments. Your cover garment can be as little as a Hawaiian shirt in the summer, to a jacket in the fall and coat in winter. Some have adjustable cant, some allow 3 styles of cant, vertical, FBI, or small of back (latter is not recommended unless you want a spinal injury). These will fill a holster box quickly.

Shoulder rigs... Require Cover Jackets (Secret Service (TV version) comes to mind, complete with ear buds, coiled wires and shades). But you can look "normal" with a shoulder rig in cooler weather...

The full sized 1911 can conceal well because it's so slim. Double stack semi auto weapons get a little "fuller" in the grip and this is what "prints" most of all. Small revolvers conceal remarkably well, because everything is rounded.

There are belly bands, and Tshirts that will hold a weapon... now you gotta rip buttons, or get velcro fake buttons or snaps or magnets... custom clothing to carry a gun... I just don't like the idea...

Now, here's the last word... you can probably wear "tac clothing," print like mad, and wear a CWP lapel pin (the badge is just toooooo much)... and most people will not notice... But all the wrong people will notice (that includes LEO in this case, he's gonna think you're a wannabe at the least).

You wanna know what I carry?

P64 in an ACE case tuckable... sometimes instead, a CZ82 in the same holster... The ACE case has NO retention.. the belt has to do that... and I can't probably do handstands to "prove" I'm not carrying. I can tuck it if need be, or wear Hawaiian shirts and be untucked. Most here would not recommend the ACE case... It has served me very well... To each his own...

Remember: MOST PEOPLE ARE TOO SELF ABSORBED TO NOTICE A LUMP UNDER YOUR CLOTHING... It could be a cel phone case...

+1, Good post, but now you've gone and done it....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

99.6% of people will never know your carrying unless you tell them. I'm giving the .4% the benefit of the doubt. The more I carry the less I think about it. If you have good equipment and use good judgement you won't have any problems. I used to think you had to carry little bitty guns to conceal them, not so. I just traded my G26 for a G19 not a lot off difference, but it is a slight bit larger with more capacity. I also carry a G30 much of the time its roughly the same size as the G19. The only difference I notice in my three most common carry weapons is weight. G19, G23, & G30 I personally feel they are all easily concealable.

I think you are your weak link in your concealment, RELAX its all good.

All the above are great suggestions.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

eb
    Open carry is legal in CO, so printing isn't an offense. I carry OWB in slide holsters (usually a Ruger LCR) and just wear loose button down shirts to cover it. People are oblivious in general, nobody notices. I just casually "fix" my shirt as I stand up from a restaurant booth or exit the car to make sure all is where it should be, and I move on with my day. I'm a fairly clean cut looking guy, so I doubt most would immediately assume I was a thug if they saw the gun. They'd be more likely to assume I was some sort of LEO in my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    Open carry is legal in CO, so printing isn't an offense. I carry OWB in slide holsters (usually a Ruger LCR) and just wear loose button down shirts to cover it. People are oblivious in general, nobody notices. I just casually "fix" my shirt as I stand up from a restaurant booth or exit the car to make sure all is where it should be, and I move on with my day. I'm a fairly clean cut looking guy, so I doubt most would immediately assume I was a thug if they saw the gun. They'd be more likely to assume I was some sort of LEO in my opinion...
    You raise a good point. Perception is everything, and someone who is neatly dressed instead of wearing "pants on the ground" is usually not perceived as any sort of threat.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links