take off gun/holster when laying down? - Page 2

take off gun/holster when laying down?

This is a discussion on take off gun/holster when laying down? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The muzzle rule does not apply to a properly holstered firearm. I've said it before & I'll say it again........ When you walk around on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: take off gun/holster when laying down?

Administrator
    The muzzle rule does not apply to a properly holstered firearm.

I've said it before & I'll say it again........

When you walk around on the second floor of your house with your muzzle pointed SAFELY DOWN toward the floor you are (in reality) pointing your gun right at the tops of the heads of the people on the floor below you.

You just can't see them but, the vast majority of floors will not stop a bullet.

I really think this is over-thinking and taking the "never covering or pointing at something you do not wish to destroy" a bit too far. I would apply this more directly to when you have unholstered and have your firearm in hand. Otherwise I am not sure you can even avoid covering something you might not wish to destroy.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
    I really think this is over-thinking and taking the "never covering or pointing at something you do not wish to destroy" a bit too far. I would apply this more directly to when you have unholstered and have your firearm in hand. Otherwise I am not sure you can even avoid covering something you might not wish to destroy.
    I have to agree, the OP is over thinking it, and as KQShooter siad, it does not apply to a holstered weapon. If you ever go upstaird. snyonr on the floor below has your weapon potentially pointed at them. Unless your removing it and locking it in the safe, your gun is safer on your person than on the floor/coffee table/ or anywhere else.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The only time I wear a gun around the house is when I'm breaking in a new holster. I can get to one quickly enough if necessary. Even the cowboys in the westerns I watched growing up took off their gunbelts and hung them on a peg by the door when they came home.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I always wear mine even when laying down, it comes off when I actually get into bed at night. You are fine laying down with it, like everyone else has said.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

What if you carry in a shoulder holster? You're pretty much always covering someone. Pocket carry? You're most likely covering your own leg/foot at least.

There are plenty of other important things to worry about. Things like "When does the game start?", and "Do I have enough (insert cold frosty beverage of choice) in the fridge or am I going to have to get up off the bed and get some?"

I used to remove my guns and lock them in the safe when I was home. Long story short. I was home one day and was the victim of a home invasion robbery. Got pretty badly shot up and played dead to survive. Lots of valuable stuff exited my house. I have since moved and have a gun with me/on me at all times with the exception of taking a shower. You may think it will never happen to you until it does. You have a gun to protect yourself and you can't accomplish the mission if you do not have your gun. Keep it in its holster until you may need it. You will be glad you did.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

I guess Im the wierd one I put my gun in the closet when I get home. I feel safe enough that if something was to happen i could get to it if neccesary also I have a 1yr old so we are always on the floor rolling around and i usually wear some gym shorts and a tshirt while in the house. I carry sometimes when Im alone and working in and around the house but normally i only feel the need to carry if I'm leaving must be the neighborhood and location that makes me feel safe enough to do this.

When I lay down (couch or floor) I keep it on me and holstered. As others have stated if it's holstered and trigger is covered you are fine. I would also recommend a quality holster so there is no fear of it dropping out. I've seen to many of the cheap nylon holsters that barely keep a firearm retained while standing... let alone laying down.

sgb
    I don't wear a gun around the house.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Read 45Gunner, I place my weapon on the commode tank while showering, all other times, it,s on my hip. I've been carrying over 50 years. Pulled it once to dissuade a fellow up to no good, other than that nothing, no UD's, nothing.

Never understood all the drama about where the muzzle is pointed, "keep your finger away from the trigger"

Your vehicle is way more dangerous than your gun. How bad it is pointing your car at a lot of people while you drive at killing speeds everyday but our skills prevent the slaughter so hone your weapon skills and you will be much less likely to cause injury from a gun than from your vehicle.

I don't recall hearing anyone say "we better not set in the kitchen because the car in the garage on the other side of the wall may start and run right through the wall and kill us"
    , same with your gun, the thing don't go off by it's self.

When I read how unsure people are of handling their weapon, I think of all the ammo we give the antigun folks.

If we continue to discuss how dangerous having a gun is, we'll never get people on our side because if we ain't confident, how can we place expectations of them.
    mfcmb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
    I used to remove my guns and lock them in the safe when I was home. Long story short. I was home one day and was the victim of a home invasion robbery. Got pretty badly shot up and played dead to survive. Lots of valuable stuff exited my house. I have since moved and have a gun with me/on me at all times with the exception of taking a shower. You may think it will never happen to you until it does. You have a gun to protect yourself and you can't accomplish the mission if you do not have your gun. Keep it in its holster until you may need it. You will be glad you did.
    Bad experience, great advice. I also think it is better for being comfortable, familiar and efficient with one's pistol to wear it whenever possible.
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

I take mine off. Its a hassle when I get woke up cause I rolled over on my gun.

I've got the couch setup so that if it were to go off in the holster then we'd need a new fridge but the girlfriend would only be mad at me not injured. In the holster nothing can enter the trigger gaurd, so we are told and made to believe it is "safe"; it is a trade off of physical precaution of the direction of muzzle for the physical precaution of a holster preventing trigger pull; if you have every broken down a Glock you'll understand this comprise of precaution being taken so you can pull the trigger to disassemble. However the four rules are a way of life and one does remain conscious of the barrel direction, and IMO that's a good thing. Keeping that in the back of your mind is a good habit for proper gun handling and reduces complacency. If someone comes through your front door and it's holstered and pointed at a loved one, hopefully that awareness keeps you waiting to draw until you're on your feet and not sweeping them so when you draw under stress your finger doesn't slip where it's not supposed to be and cause a tragedy.

I am aware of it, when possible I take actions to prevent it, but because I've ensured an extra equal layer of physical precaution I'm not overly worried about it for the same reason I don't disarm every time I shift my weight and have my IWB EDC sweep my foot, leg or calf.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark View Post
    Exactly!!

The OP never thought about how many times a day the gun was pointed at himself. I carry mine at 5 o'clock and it would probably blow a nice hole in my rear end if it ever went off(guns do have a mind of their own ya know)

Quit worrying about where your gun is pointed unless it is loaded and in your hand. If its unloaded and you are cleaning it, dont worry about it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links