take off gun/holster when laying down?

This is a discussion on take off gun/holster when laying down? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G19 in a CB supertuck. my question is, when laying down on the couch or bed with other members walking around and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: take off gun/holster when laying down?

take off gun/holster when laying down?

I carry a G19 in a CB supertuck. my question is, when laying down on the couch or bed with other members walking around and also being in the living room, do any of you take the gun off or leave it holstered. I just feel weird breaking the 4 rules of safety by pointing my muzzle horizontally at others in the room and house. By laying down, my muzzle is pointed straight through the house at hip level.

When no one is in the house I just keep it in while laying down. With others in the house I just feel unsafe and take the whole holster off and set it on the floor beside the couch.

any thoughts?
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it is holstered with the trigger guard covered, I would leave it alone. This is no different than sitting across the table from someone while pocket carrying.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I leave mine holstered. I feel it's better secured in a holster than loose somewhere else with me asleep.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My firearm stays in the holster.

As for it pointing at someone, if the firearm is holstered and you are not playing with it, how is it going to discharge? There's not a single case of a gun going off all on its own - in or out of a holster.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

still feels very weird to be laying with my feet (and loaded gun) pointed at my girlfriend and others through a thin wall. I do very well realize the above points and they are very valid. I know nothing bad will happen, but still..
    ”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Safest two places for a firearm:

1) On you (safest)
    2) In your safe (almost as safe)

Mine stays on my person all the time except when showering, swimming, doing a few other choice activities, any time when legal to do so...... even then it is within reach.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I usually wind up napping on the couch wearing it, for the most part I get dressed in the AM, part of being dressed is putting the gun on, and undressed before going to bed. the gun rarely comes off of me in between

I don't want to be rude, but isn't this a little extreme and overthinking things? I have guns on the nightstand, on the kitchen table, behind the mirror in the bathroom and where ever I'm at in the house. They are mainly unholstered, and ready to grab and shoot. I have done this all of my life, except when children are present, or guests. They have never decided to fire on their own.

Gun safety is good, and so is muzzle control. But it's the finger on the trigger that will get ya. A little common sense goes far.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

You should do what makes you comfortable relative to safety.

With that said, it is a matter of your becoming comfortable with a quality firearm in a proper holster. I'll give you an example similar to yours. Whenever transporting a prisoner/arrestee (prior to cages) I sat in the back set behind my partner with the prisoner/arrestee in the right rear part of the seat. My holstered gun pointed directly at my partners back. It never was a problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

"prior to cages". Gloves, you are giving away your age :)
    INccwchris likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My pic is posted in the gallery, so its a little late to worry about that.

Sorry about the diversion.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    You should do what makes you comfortable relative to safety.
    I think that is a pretty good summation. I DO carry in the house while sitting. For example, I may go outside and watter the flowers, come back in and watch TV, go out and get the mail, come back in, then, maby out to the deck for a while. I my case it is easier to ware it than fool around with arming, disarming etc. Of course, this changes due to seasons and other factors.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I lay down with it on the couch all the time. Trigger is covered by my CBST so I don't worry about it at all. When I sleep in my bed I put it in my bedside safe.
    They don't call him lucky Ned Pepper for nothing

Where will it be pointed if you lay it on a coffee table or on the couch cushion next to you? Regardless of how you slice it it is pointed at something. In a holster on your person is best in all situations.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

There is only one "polite" direction for a gun on a table to be pointed in a group situation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links