Another LTC shooting in the news,,

This is a discussion on Another LTC shooting in the news,, within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This time the victim had a LTC and shot back. Pennsylvania College Student With License To Carry Firearm Exchanges Gunfire With Alleged Robber | FoxNews.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another LTC shooting in the news,,

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal

Another LTC shooting in the news,,

This time the victim had a LTC and shot back.

Pennsylvania College Student With License To Carry Firearm Exchanges Gunfire With Alleged Robber | FoxNews.com

I would have just given up the wallet though.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    According to the video the 15-year will be charged with attempted robbery, since he shot first why is there no charge for attempted murder?
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

One article mentioned an armed assault charge as well.

ETA:
    Rafiq Thompson is charged with robbery, attempted homicide and related offenses, police said.
    I would hope those related offenses include illegal possession of a firearm.
    Last edited by sdprof; September 7th, 2011 at 12:13 AM.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    According to the video the 15-year will be charged with attempted robbery, since he shot first why is there no charge for attempted murder?

^^^^^^^^Well my guess would be because^^^^^^^^^^

Look where it happened___________________________Philadelphia ?????????????

Glad his wounds are not lifethreatening.

Martin Luther King, Jr.:
    Cowardice asks the question, 'Is it safe?' Expediency asks the question, 'Is it politic?' Vanity asks the question, 'Is it popular?' But, conscience asks the question, 'Is it right?' And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one's conscience tells one that it is right.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

wyo-man

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I agree, where is the attempted murder charge and also a weapons charge of using a gun during the commission of a felony.
    mprp likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Zozin, is there any guarante that you won't get shot anyway if you give up the wallet?
    Semper Fi
    Not a trick question or a flame.
    jem102 and Anubis like this.

Lucky he was off campus when this happened, unfortunately laws and rules prevent many many students around the country from having the firearm option to defend themselves, when the other guy starts shooting first that's an inherent disadvantage; and unlike employers many colleges are setup so keeping it in the car is not even an option and that may mean not being armed when heading to class for the day. Carrying in violation of policy and or law, can lead to expulsion and difficulty getting into other schools or starting down career paths outright halting some, not carrying in a situation like this could very well mean death; not a fun decision to be forced to make. When this young man goes on campus, he is forced to make that choice.

In the end this is a good one, he was off campus so he likely won't face sanctions from the school, the bad guy gets caught, good guy faces no charges and gets to walk away from it all.
    2wheelGnnr likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

When I lived in Philth-a-delphia, an Olney High school senior was robbed at gun point for her gold earrings that had been given her by grandmother.

According to Police report, girl begged perp to not take them, but he insisted. She said:"Here, take them and gave 'em up".

He shot her - killed her.

He got caught and his excuse for killing her ------ She didn't give them up fast enough.

Now how does one deal with an animal like that?
    jem102 likes this.

VIP Member
    Agreed, there should be an attempted murder charge filed also. No weapons charge may be a smart move by the DA, if the other charges don't stick, he can always pull that one from the back pocket.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    There is one aspect of these type of situations that I find troublesome. It seems as if your options boil down to: 1) hand over the goods and hope for the best, 2) shoot first. The problem is that if you hand over the goods that they may then flee, at which point it is no longer SD to shoot them and to try to apprehend them at this point potentially puts them in an SD justified position. The problem with option 2, shoot first, is the action - reaction time versus someone who has the drop on you from a close distance. As common as armed robbery is, it makes me wonder about the necessity of practicing an anticipated response to it, thinking for most men they would want a wallet, and with women it would be either a purse or jewelery, and how you could frame your actions to both distract and draw while initially appearing to comply.

If this weren't a situation involving someone at their residence, I would be inclined to start thinking stupid things in stupid places. Having been to college and lived near a ghetto in the process, I understand that the student's options may have been limited.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    When I lived in Philth-a-delphia, an Olney High school senior was robbed at gun point for her gold earrings that had been given her by grandmother.

According to Police report, girl begged perp to not take them, but he insisted. She said:"Here, take them and gave 'em up".

He shot her - killed her.

He got caught and his excuse for killing her ------ She didn't give them up fast enough.

Now how does one deal with an animal like that?
    That's why I wouldn't give them up. I'd shoot the SOB. Once someone points a deadly weapon in my face, I'm going to assume that they mean to kill me. If I felt confident that I could disarm him, I might, but at least for now I lack those skills.
    Anubis likes this.

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Zozin, is there any guarante that you won't get shot anyway if you give up the wallet?
    Semper Fi

Well the way it looks like it went down is the punk shot first after the wallet was denied. So if the victim gives up the wallet and still gets shot he's still in the same boat. Nothin in my wallet worth dying for.
    Now if we want to play scenerios, pull out the wallet from left pocket with left hand as your strong side is the right, while the punk is focused on that ease your right hand back towards the grip on your carry, start to hand him the wallet and drop it at the last second, as he bends to pick it up, bang.

This story makes it sound like he tried to peddle, was denied then attempted to rob and shot the student in the stomach, not that it was denied during the robbery, just during the ploy.
    Philadelphia Student Carrying Legal Firearm Shoots It Out With Armed Robber | TheBlaze.com

Kind of conflicting reports from what's supposed to be the same basic Fox News outlet.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    As common as armed robbery is, it makes me wonder about the necessity of practicing an anticipated response to it, thinking for most men they would want a wallet, and with women it would be either a purse or jewelery, and how you could frame your actions to both distract and draw while initially appearing to comply.
    For men, the rear pocket carry (wallet style holster) of a .380 or subcompact 9mm is, IMHO, one of the best ways to appear compliant while having a hand on your weapon and prepared to fire... as it is coming out of the pocket. Depending on the style of pocket holster, it may even look enough like a wallet until actually pointed at the criminal. If the .380 or even the nine is not what you would consider "enough gun" then use the wallet carry as backup to your cannon...

For women, if the purse is the object of desire, it may just be snatched. Which is the main reason I dislike off-body carry for women.

I'm "all about" the art of deception... I want to appear to be the gray man to the point of invisibility. I want to appear compliant until the last second. I want to avoid the confrontation at all if I can... If I cannot, then BG has chosen to mess with an old man... and you know what they say about old men...
    SIXTO likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links