9/11 Anniversary, Has it affected your Carry Habits

This is a discussion on 9/11 Anniversary, Has it affected your Carry Habits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the upcoming 10th anniversary of 9/11, the recent death of Osama Bin Laden and the increasing number of warnings of a 'Lone Wolf' terrorist, ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 9/11 Anniversary, Has it affected your Carry Habits

With the upcoming 10th anniversary of 9/11, the recent death of Osama Bin Laden and the increasing number of warnings of a 'Lone Wolf' terrorist, has anyone here changed their carry habits(caliber, # mags, etc.)?

I do know people that have their CHL but only carry when going out late at night or into a bad part of town. I also know people that have a CHL and practically never carry.

Myself personally, I carry daily but generally leave the mag pouch at home or in the car.

I started thinking about this yesterday after hearing about the tragedy in Nevada, assuming it was a jihadist after hearing National Guard soldiers appeared to be targeted (recalling Killean x2 and the 9/11 anniversary).

What do you guys/gals say about this; should CHL'ers step it up a notch for the next week. Perhaps carry the .45 instead of the .380, maybe an extra magazine?

Just Curious what everyone else says/thinks/is or is not doing...

Haven't changed a thing. I still don't carry in the shower.
    wmhawth, nerdyvirgin and JD like this.

I'll carry my usual set-up, which I feel I'm prepared for whatever I may encounter. If 19 rounds of 40 caliber aren't enough to get me through, then I'm toast either way.
    tarheel34 and SGT like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    I'm staying with what I do.

I've got 31 rounds of 9mm for my G19, I am just keeping it the same.

No change here; carry every day, everywhere it's legal.
    SGT and Marc1103 like this.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    same setup I will have on 9/10
    nerdyvirgin likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    No change here either,Always Carry,Never Tell.

Senior Moderator
    No, I haven't changed anything. Terrorist attacks are usually concentrated on large public places where maximum casualties will ensue. I'm lucky if I'm around more than a dozen people on any given average day... small town life has its perks.

That being said I'm not really sure what carrying an extra magazine would do against a plane or a bomb or several guys with AKs.. or even one guy with an AK. Handguns are pretty crappy options in those kinds of situations and the most you can hope for is that you are able to evade and escape if you are even made aware of anything unusual before you're blown to bits along with everyone else.

If I had no other choice but to engage someone with a rifle with a handgun I would do so but it would not be odds I would be happy about.

Only John McClane would go up against a dozen terrorists with automatic weapons armed with nothing but a Beretta and an extra magazine.

The increasingly violent nature of the world that we live in influenced my decision to carry in the first place. Incidents like the shootings at Columbine and Virginia Tech played a larger part than 9/11. Having a carry permit and a handgun wouldn't have done you a lot of good if you were in the World Trade Center on that day.

From Jack the Ripper to the Boston Strangler, Son of Sam, Ted Bundy, and others, there have always been people that killed others in large numbers...but they usually did it one at a time. Today, we have nutjobs with guns who kill indiscriminately and in large numbers. As in the recent incident at the IHOP in Carson City, you have no idea when one of these people will step out of a vehicle and start firing. Add to that the druggies kicking in doors to get pills or money, the other druggies holding up pharmacies, the general riff-raff armed robbers, bad guys on parole, disgruntled employees, domestic disputes, and a generally pissed off society......and it's a pretty scarey world that we live in.

While a gun may not be the answer to these problems, it can keep you alive, until somebody comes up with the answer.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Not changing a thing. Like 'Lima' said; small town living has it's perks. If anyone wants to try anything in a smallish college town (Winthrop), I'm fairly certain that they won't be doing so at or around the Pep-Boys. (I also hope that, because I can't carry at work) But, if anything WERE to happen while I'm around, I think my .357 with a total of 18 rounds on hand will get me away. Probably not without a few holes of my own, but I'll make one 'serious' distraction so the missus can get away.

But, I have on occasion (usually only when I'm leaving town) carried BOTH my .45, spare mag, .357 and two speed strips. Not that that makes me feel 'safer', it just means I know where my guns are, and I have options. And it's a little uncomfortable- I have a good belt, and good pants, but that double stack .45, AND the revolver don't seem to leave a whole lot of room for me in my jeans.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Nothing changing here...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

SGT
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'll carry my usual set-up, which I feel I'm prepared for whatever I may encounter. If 19 rounds of 40 caliber aren't enough to get me through, then I'm toast either way.
    I concur and that's my normal carry as well. If I know I'm with my family or extended family, some of which also carry a similar firearm, I often add an additional magazine (should they not have one), in addition to the normal EDC items.

~SGT

SGT
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    No, I haven't changed anything. Terrorist attacks are usually concentrated on large public places where maximum casualties will ensue. I'm lucky if I'm around more than a dozen people on any given average day... small town life has its perks.

That being said I'm not really sure what carrying an extra magazine would do against a plane or a bomb or several guys with AKs.. or even one guy with an AK. Handguns are pretty crappy options in those kinds of situations and the most you can hope for is that you are able to evade and escape if you are even made aware of anything unusual before you're blown to bits along with everyone else.

If I had no other choice but to engage someone with a rifle with a handgun I would do so but it would not be odds I would be happy about.

Only John McClane would go up against a dozen terrorists with automatic weapons armed with nothing but a Beretta and an extra magazine.
    As always Lima, good points and very true. I also enjoy the perks of small town life, even though here you can feel it starting to change. A 70 year old man was beaten walking home a few weeks ago for the $14 in his pocket by a few teenagers. Sad.

VIP Member
    I still carry everyday, every where it is legal to. The only thing I have changed is caliber. Went from .40 to .45. It has nothing to do with stopping power, the change was made due to a wrist injury that makes .40 hard to practice with.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links