Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

This is a discussion on Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oakchas Even though they themselves were armed... that's the beautiful part... Most of these lower class thieves figure the common victim is ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Even though they themselves were armed... that's the beautiful part...

Most of these lower class thieves figure the common victim is willing and compliant... Any real resistance is confusing to them... they were prepared for the video cameras everywhere... that's a given... they stormed and jumped the counter, too...

But, for the victim to open fire... well, they never saw that coming...

I doubt he'll get his job back... his rights ended at the threshold of his employer. Shame, that.
    Yeah, I noticed that they came in like they owned the place, hoodies, sunglasses, guns....looked like they were manhandling an employee. Everything was going their way, until the pharmacist opened fire. Then they scrambled for the door. Walgreen's employees weren't supposed to be armed. That was the word on the street.

If Walgreen's made a corporate decision to arm every pharmacist who wanted to be armed, they could put an end to this nonsense in a week.
    Bark'n likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Had Walgreen's addressed the problem of safety at this store, the whole situation would never have happened.
    Pharmacy chains care nothing for the security of their employees or their customers.

With the street value being so high for prescription narcotics, pharmacies are prime targets for armed robberies.

Open 24 hours a day and having a skeleton staff on duty from 10PM to 8 or 9AM with no security measures in place other than "Compliance is safer than confrontation" is like having a 24 hour bank open with nothing but 2 tellers on duty or a jewelry store with 2 people behind the display cases.

It's not a big financial loss to a pharmacy chain when a few bottles of oxycontin, which only cost a little over $200 bucks a bottle but are worth over $1000.00 on the street, are ripped off.
    Better profit for a thief, since the value goes up not down like with stolen jewelry which has to be pawned or fenced....

Sure they have security cameras that are great for ID'ing the bad guys after the crime. BIG DEAL...

Injuries or deaths don't count. It's all bean counting. If they lose a few lawsuits and have to pay for their lack of regard for the staff or customers maybe they will see the light and at least try to make their operations safer and more secure.

Cost of security should be no issue either. The CEO's and other board members of these chains "earn" salaries in the range of 30-40 million/year (and that's before stock options and bonuses and other perks.)

Staff should not call out customer's names. Easy for lurkers to use this info in parking lots to get the edge on their prey. If they tell you it will be 20 minutes for your prescription "COME BACK IN 20 MINUTES" and ask for your stuff.

After more than 30 years in the business I am glad that is nothing but a memory to me now. GOOD riddance!!!..
    omo

bosco

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I believe if everyone on this forum boycotted Walgreens it wouldnt go un-noticed.
    Ok, I'll stop going there.
    SGT likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Too bad there weren't 2 dead perps on the floor,I would be willing to bet that Walgreens will get robbed again with the news release from the store basically saying it's ok guys you can rob us because we got rid of any chance you have of getting shot while you shop errr rob our walgreens
    Bark'n likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

so many gosh darn sheep in this world
    Last edited by Paco; September 8th, 2011 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Language

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Ok, I'll stop going there.
    LOL And Walgreens will go "Great!!! One less gun nut in our stores that we have to worry about."

For those suggesting a boycott, that's Walgreens current mentality. They don't want folks with guns in their stores. Period.

I switched my prescriptions to Walmart a long time ago. Half the price of Walgreens for the same stuff.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Cost of security should be no issue either. The CEO's and other board members of these chains "earn" salaries in the range of 30-40 million/year (and that's before stock options and bonuses and other perks.)

bosco
    Not to be a pain, but (1) Board members don't make near this much - closer to $100-250k (half of which is usually in company stock) and there are only a few CEOs who make anywhere close to $30-40M in base salary. If you add in everything, there may be 20 or so, but despite the hype again, north of $10-15M is rarified air.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    In accordance with Walgreen policy, "Compliance is safer than confrontation."
    Ummm.....Safer for WHOM??
    Mr B likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by DirkD View Post
    Not to be a pain, but (1) Board members don't make near this much - closer to $100-250k (half of which is usually in company stock) and there are only a few CEOs who make anywhere close to $30-40M in base salary. If you add in everything, there may be 20 or so, but despite the hype again, north of $10-15M is rarified air.
    Possibly correct. I can only speak for the one I retired from in 1997. The CEO at that time (according to the yearly stock holders information) earned $34 million dollars. If the other bonuses and perks were added in the amount was increased by about 10 or so million. He was also a board member at another large corporation.

Granted the board members didn't get that amount but considering that a few of them were CEO's at other large corporations to begin with, I think it fair to say that money spent on security would be no problem.

I have no issue with people earning large incomes but when they do it with little or no regard to their employees safety I do.

At 65 I have been around the block, from construction laborer to truck driver and on into the ranks of upper corporate management for one of the largest health providers in the country.

I may be wrong or off base on the exact salaries for the entire industry but for the corporate attitude towards employees I have seen it from both sides and it is just my opinion.

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Hope he gets his job back with back pay!
    I hope he gets enough to tell to stick that job

Lets hope he win this chances are better for him.
    I am hopeing that works the same for me on my case

I too hope he wins and wins big. However, the mentality of people will challenge his "right" of self defense because the stupidity of "compliance" will prevail. It seems to these days.

Wal Greens where I live are not posted for customers so I routinely carry when going there, even at their drive through. I can't speak for the employees however.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Peoples Protectorate of Kaliforniya, gulag NorCal
    It looks like he got off 3 or so shots,, did he hit any of the BG's?

My ex wife works for them and when she started they told her their policy was if you get robbed leave them alone and don't follow! Just call police. This is in Texas, so whenever I went to pick her up, I was carrying especially during the holiday seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Possibly correct. I can only speak for the one I retired from in 1997. The CEO at that time (according to the yearly stock holders information) earned $34 million dollars. If the other bonuses and perks were added in the amount was increased by about 10 or so million. He was also a board member at another large corporation.

Granted the board members didn't get that amount but considering that a few of them were CEO's at other large corporations to begin with, I think it fair to say that money spent on security would be no problem.

I have no issue with people earning large incomes but when they do it with little or no regard to their employees safety I do.

At 65 I have been around the block, from construction laborer to truck driver and on into the ranks of upper corporate management for one of the largest health providers in the country.

I may be wrong or off base on the exact salaries for the entire industry but for the corporate attitude towards employees I have seen it from both sides and it is just my opinion.

bosco
    According to Forbes Magazine, in 2010 the CEO of Walgreens earned $1,066,667.00 in salary and had a total compensation package of $8,030,843.00

Gregory D. Wasson Profile - Forbes.com

Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but a little shy of the thirty and forty million base salary numbers that some think he earns.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Even though they themselves were armed... that's the beautiful part...

Most of these lower class thieves figure the common victim is willing and compliant... Any real resistance is confusing to them... they were prepared for the video cameras everywhere... that's a given... they stormed and jumped the counter, too...

But, for the victim to open fire... well, they never saw that coming...

I doubt he'll get his job back... his rights ended at the threshold of his employer. Shame, that.
    I agree. But I think that it's great that this guy is going to fight in this arena as well. Give'em hell sir!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links