Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's - Page 4

Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

This is a discussion on Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hoven had permit to carry a concealed weapon but apparently didn't notify his employer he was carrying a gun.. DUH ???????!!!!!!! If he notified his ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

Hoven had permit to carry a concealed weapon but apparently didn't notify his employer he was carrying a gun..

DUH ???????!!!!!!! If he notified his employer that he was carrying then it would not be concealed now would it ??????? God Bless

No criminal action will take effect. In civil action, company policy will be determining factor. They had legal right to fire him, no civil win here. Moral factor is never a court factor. Walgreens did not step on his 2d A rights. They didn't say he couldn't care a gun at all, just not while on duty in their store. He didn't have to work there. None of us gets to have our own way everywhere and all the time.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I find this story funny because my Granddad was a Pharmacist and always kept a .45 by the register. My how times have changed!

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I find this story funny because my Granddad was a Pharmacist and always kept a .45 by the register. My how times have changed!
    Did he work for himself or someone else? Makes a difference.

Michael

Just saw this on the news (can't remember the station), but they showed clips from the surveillance tape. I hope he wins this thing. It will set precident for some much needed changes with big business in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Did he work for himself or someone else? Makes a difference.

Michael
    He worked for himself, I didn't think about that.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    My prediction: The bottom line in this case will be that this guy violated his contract with Walgreens, and there is no superseding federal or state law to save the day.
    I find this difficult since any half decent attorney should have looked at the employment contract before attenting litigation. He should have a good case. Jurors will be simpatetic to his situation also (depending on the area). He probably saved some lives.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey I agree we all should be allowed to be CC if we qualify per state standards but, and that is a big BUT, you decide to work for a company and it is their policy, that is the bottom line. No one forced him to work for them. I do not see him winning in any legal venue unless he gets an OJ jury. I do wonder where a civil trial by a surviving spouse and children might go if the pharmacist was precluded from CC and was killed by an armed druggie looking for oxycotin; certainly more of a PR problem with Walgreens as the widow stands next to her kids and asks "why did this have to happen when my husband was turned down in his request to CC based on his fear for his safety?".

That policy of "Just let them have what they want and no one will get hurt." really worked out well on Sept. 11, 2001.

NOT!!
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
    Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
    If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Gee, I wonder why these BG's chose Walgreens?

Eastpointe Walgreens Robbed of $4,000

Quote Originally Posted by rbh32 View Post
    Just saw this on the news (can't remember the station), but they showed clips from the surveillance tape. I hope he wins this thing. It will set precident for some much needed changes with big business in my opinion.

Indeed .

Bill on Fox did A thing on this last week .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I doubt any of the BGs have attended Walgreens' "training" and would know the employees would be only too happy to comply. Seeing as there's a Walgreens on every block in my small town, and a CVS opposite every Walgreens, there are plenty of sources of easily available cash/drugs from which the BGs can choose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

CMT
    I am sure that Walgreens would not want this publicity either:

Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy
    Published June 19, 2011 | FoxNews.com

Long Island police are on the hunt for a gunman who allegedly shot four dead at a pharmacy Sunday morning in what police say looked like a robbery gone wrong.

Sources tell the New York Post that a man with a backpack entered Haven Drugs in Medford after 10 a.m. before unloading a firearm at two employees and two customers in the store. One victim was reported to be a pharmacist, while the other was an 18-year-old female covering a shift for a co-worker.

Read more: Four Shot Dead at Long Island Pharmacy - FoxNews.com
    Springfield XD-9mm Service Model 4"
    Kel-Tec P3AT

Right or wrong, odds are he will lose.

When you hire on to most any company, you sign an employment agreement stating that you will abide by corporate policies. PERIOD!

He signed his rights away when he accepted the job.

Walgreens may settle just to close the case and shut him up. .
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links