Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

This is a discussion on Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This case may serve to establish precedence for cc-ing while at work. Hopefully, he wins his case. Gun-Toting Mich. Pharmacist Sues After Being Fired...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar

Pharmacist sues former employer, Walgreen's

This case may serve to establish precedence for cc-ing while at work. Hopefully, he wins his case.

Gun-Toting Mich. Pharmacist Sues After Being Fired

2. Remove Ads

You beat me to it.. but it was in your state!

I love this from Walgreens in the WZZM story:

Walgreens sent a statement to WZZM 13 News, saying employees are trained and expected to comply in crisis situations:

"Our policies in this area are designed to maintain the maximum safety of our customers and employees. Store employees receive comprehensive training on our company's robbery procedures and how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation. In past incidents, employees have told us they've found this training effective. These policies and training programs are endorsed by law enforcement, which strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects. Compliance is safer than confrontation. Through this practice, we have been able to maintain an exemplary record of safety."
    There are families of victims all around this country who would beg to differ with the statement that "Compliance is safer than confrontation."
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

While "compliance may be safer than confrontation", and I'm not sure there is any solid evidence that backs that up, compliance also encourages more of the same behavior from lawbreakers. "Just give them whatever they want and maybe they will go away and never bother us again."

Appeasement doesn't work for criminals, whether they be Walgreen's robbers or terrorists.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    In accordance with Walgreen policy, "Compliance is safer than confrontation."

And just how "far" should Walgreen employees comply? Does this mean that the (female) employees should do anything the BG says?

I am so sick and tired of the "compliance" mentality!!! Ask the WWII vets how that worked for England, France, Russia, Poland, Austria, and the rest or europe when they tried to "appease" Hitler in the 30's! It doesn't work for dictators, it doesn't work for terrorists, and it doesn't work for criminals! There is an old saying, "Give them an inch, they'll take a mile"! It's about time people stood up and stopped "complying" and "appeasing"! Just my .02 worth.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    While I agree Walgreen Drug has the right to prohibit guns on their property, I have not been to one that is posted.

It is my understanding from the original story that this was not the first time this store had been robbed in recent months. If I remember correctly the pharmacist and other employee's had voiced safety concerns to Walgreen Corp Headquarters which had been ignored. The company ut profits above the safety of their employee's.

Had Walgreen's addressed the problem of safety at this store, the whole situation would never have happened.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I believe if everyone on this forum boycotted Walgreens it wouldnt go un-noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorCityGun View Post
    In accordance with Walgreen policy, "Compliance is safer than confrontation."

And just how "far" should Walgreen employees comply? Does this mean that the (female) employees should do anything the BG says?
    Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!! This is why policies like this, and the fact they are enforced without common sense, are why they will only work in small percentages.
    SGT likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Hope he gets his job back with back pay!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Hope he gets his job back with back pay!
    With the current demand for pharmacists, I doubt that he's unemployed and I doubt that he wants that particular job back. If you win a lawsuit against a former employer, it's usually best to move on. They tend to have long memories and just watch and wait for you to screw up.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Here's a link to a copy of the video:

And one to the site of the news org that posted it first (Grand Rapids Press):

Walgreens pharmacist shooting at robbers - Video | MLive.com
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Here's a link to a copy of the video:

And one to the site of the news org that posted it first (Grand Rapids Press):

Walgreens pharmacist shooting at robbers - Video | MLive.com
    When they faced resistance, they scattered like roaches confronted by a can of Raid, didn't they?

Every situation is going to have a diferent response. If someone comes into the store and grabs some stuff off the shelf and runs out of the store, thats one thing. But if someone comes into the store with a gun with the intent to forcefully rob the place of money or drugs and i was an employee that had a CCW permit, your damn right that im going to shoot back. Im not going to just stand there and allow my self to be a victem regardless of what the store or company policy is. How do i know if the bag guy is going to shoot me or not so i can`t be a witness against him ???.
    hazard123 likes this.

mel
    We live in a society that has lost all respect for their fellow man. The Pharmacist was well within his right to protect himself, if Walgreen's doesn't want to afford their employees that ability then they should be required to hire law enforcement officers or private armed security guards. As times get tougher, and they will, drug stores are going to be easy targets, especially Walgreen's, because criminals know that their employees can't protect themselves.

Maybe this pharmacist will win his case and start his own drug store chain, maybe call it Smith and Wesson Pharmacy?
    hazard123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    When they faced resistance, they scattered like roaches confronted by a can of Raid, didn't they?
    Even though they themselves were armed... that's the beautiful part...

Most of these lower class thieves figure the common victim is willing and compliant... Any real resistance is confusing to them... they were prepared for the video cameras everywhere... that's a given... they stormed and jumped the counter, too...

But, for the victim to open fire... well, they never saw that coming...

I doubt he'll get his job back... his rights ended at the threshold of his employer. Shame, that.
    Bark'n likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links