How to bar the door

How to bar the door

This is a discussion on How to bar the door within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to beef up the security on my safe room by adding some sort of bar (e.g. a 2x4) I ,or the wife, can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How to bar the door

How to bar the door

I'd like to beef up the security on my safe room by adding some sort of bar (e.g. a 2x4) I ,or the wife, can drop accross door into some sort of bracket.

I tried googling around but have not found anything. Anybody got any good ideas, plans, or the parts I need from HomeDepot to accomplish this?
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...curity%2520bar

are you talking about something like this?
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Assistant Administrator
    If you have some basic tools on hand - you could make something.

Such as - get some steel bar - maybe 1 1/2 x 1/8 could do - cut one piece to span the door and have enough left to make two holder pieces of say 6" each.

Drill those on one half with two or three holes for fixing - and then put in a double bend so you make pieces sorta like generic lightning symbol.

Screw those to frame and have the top parts spaced away from door frame sufficient to drop in the bar. With a bit of drilling and welding - perhaps add scrap steel pieces such that you can apply a padlock.

Not hard to make but darned hard to describe in words.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

http://www.google.com/pagead/iclk?sa...curity%2520bar

are you talking about something like this?

I found that, but it would be too slow to put into action in a hurry.

My safe room is the walk-in closet/bathroom off the master bedroom, so I need something that the wife can just swing into place after she closes the door. Think of the bars they used on medieval manor house doors...
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    If you have some basic tools on hand - you could make something.

Such as -...
    Not hard to make but darned hard to describe in words.
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to bug one of my friends who can help me with something like that... I just thought that somebody would make something like that.
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

Assistant Administrator
    I like you, am sure something is made - and hope maybe someone knows.

I guess being an old engineer I always make stuff like that!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I saw something advertised once; it was shown for the front door but would work for you....

You drilled a hole in the floor and there was a nice looking fixture that you put in the hole that was a socket; then to block the door there was an oval loop of metal with a post that fit into the floor socket so the door was blocked from opening. The whole thing was brass finished and not too bad looking; I have done a couple Yahoo searches and can't find anything.
    Last edited by F350; August 9th, 2006 at 04:38 PM.

Brad B.

tec
    Before you spend some money on this sort of security, you may want to find out if your door your going to mount this on is solid or hollow. If it's a hollow door, don't waste the time or money. You can punch thru a hollow door with your fist, literally. If it is hollow, "skin" it with 3/4 inch plywood, screwed to the perimeter of the door, reinforce the hinges by installing LONG strong screws where the short hinge screws were, then install the security bar.

For the security bar, try a store like TSC (tractor supply company) or somewhere where they sell barn doors. They sell that sort of stuff for barns.

costs
    Plywood 45.00
    screws 10.00
    metal brackets ?25.00?
    Lag bolts for brackets 4.00
    stain/paint 8.00
    brush 8.00
    2x4 for door brace 4.00

If the door is solid, you could still do the plywood (i would anyway), or just do it without and save some coin.

I have thought about doing this to my place, but I would also "skin" the interior of the closet walls with the plywood or even some steel. If the closet is big enough, like mine, then you could layer another layer of drywall over the top of that and nobody but you would know its there.

My closet is adjacent to the garage attic, tho there is no access door. I plan on installing a door that can be hidden behind some luggage or something, then we could go thru there, drop down, and hop right in a car and scoot outta there.
    Last edited by tec; August 9th, 2006 at 08:44 AM.

How about something from these people
    http://www.mastersecuritydoors.com/products.asp they have security doors , safe room doors and security closet doors to name a few.

LT
    EVER FORWARD
    “You're not in a minefield Bedford3-6, there are no minefields at that grid according to my mine map.”- Base Defense Operations Center Commanding Officer, Bagram Afghanistan

3sh
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRavens
    I'd like to beef up the security on my safe room by adding some sort of bar (e.g. a 2x4) I ,or the wife, can drop accross door into some sort of bracket.

I tried googling around but have not found anything. Anybody got any good ideas, plans, or the parts I need from HomeDepot to accomplish this?
    You would probably want to look for farm hardware or barn door hardware... that type of thing.

While it does sound good at first, you might want to think about the possibility of being locked out of your safe room. If that bar somehow managed to drop when you didn't intend it to... ie. Some vibration or shutting the door sometime while leaving the room. So then when you need to get into the safe room you won't be able to. In order to stop that, you would need some type of retention mechanism where the bar rests while unlocked... but this would defeat the purpose of it being quickly deployed.

If I were you, I would look into either a magnetic lock or an electric door strike. Then you can just have an on/off button on the inside which will activate the electric/magnetic lock. Once the electric lock is set, you then of course would probably still want a manual deadbolt or two... or three to set on top of that. (case of a power outage or some malfunction)... and make sure to get the deadbolts that do not have key access on the outside and only require you to turn it on the inside.

Big Door Jammer

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...LG0O4?v=glance

I've got one for my bedroom door, and it works very well. It's a 20 gaguge steel bar that fits around the door knob. Works on all floor types and can be adjusted to fit any door with a door knob.

I would try a tractor/barn place as stated above. Or get two U brackets with high lips, mount them on both sides of the door, to centered studs in the wall, and buy a 2 x 4.

Im not touching on reinforcement, all the above have- to which I would heed. Just simply answering the original question!

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRavens
    Yeah, I guess I'll have to bug one of my friends who can help me with something like that... I just thought that somebody would make something like that.
    Phill,

As stated above, you might try a farm or horse supply store. I picked up a couple of prefabbed units for the tack room and stalls in my barn. Basically it consists of a "U" bracket on either side of the door, and one with a fixed pivot on the door itself. The brackets on the hinge side of the door are upside down so when the bar is closed it pivots up into it and down into the bracket on the open side of the door. It uses 2x lumber across the door to secure it. I have two 2x6s across my tack room door that are joined at the center and open and close together (my design), and 2x8s across the stall doors. I don't think there was any brand name to it, but if you try one of these type of stores they will know what you are talking about.
    Last edited by p8riot; August 9th, 2006 at 10:23 AM.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Administrator
    Ditto: above

They already make these thick bent steel brackets with pre-drilled lag bolt holes in two different styles.

One style a length of standard 2x4 slides into & the other a length of 2x4 drops in from the top.

Oh then there is a Door Security Bar...probably a large hardware store item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links