what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun

This is a discussion on what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would also say revolver in a caliber you can shoot with one hand. Something like a Ruger lcr or Jframe....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun

I would also say revolver in a caliber you can shoot with one hand. Something like a Ruger lcr or Jframe.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    With a bum shoulder in the mix, you're going to want something with a lot of ammunition on board as reloading may me a PITA. If you're shoulder is bad enough that you can't perform immediate action (tap, rack, bang), you may want to consider a revolver...
    I can perform immediate action (although not pretty)
    my shooting instructor an close friend suggested I look into a smith an wesson body guard 380

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by leok View Post
    I can perform immediate action (although not pretty)
    my shooting instructor an close friend suggested I look into a smith an wesson body guard 380
    I wouldn't advise that, it's light (will make for more felt recoil), low capacity, and low in power. Yes is will be easy to manipulate the slide as it's small and have a light recoil spring, making it easy to cycle by hand, but I doubt it would be any less stiff of a spring when compared to a full size 9mm. The shorter the recoil spring, the higher the poundage (within the same caliber) but in this case, I think the bigger caliber would be better if you can shoot it effectively.

6 rounds of .380 is not a lot, if you are going to go the .380 route, get something double stack like a Beretta Cheetah (84FS) which is a double stack .380 or the Bersa 380Plus which holds 15.

The only reason to carry a tiny gun is for increased ability to conceal it from casual observation and you have a lot of ability to work around that.

JD
    Administrator
    How are you planning on carrying whatever gun it is that you select?

VIP Member
    Well my friend, the sky is truly the limit albeit physical limitations of function. I too have limitations so I prefer a revolver. I had mine horned out and moon clipped so the empty moonclip floats right out with one hand. This also makes it simple to reload. Either way, a basic revolver may work too. Anyway, this is my two cents.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    How are you planning on carrying whatever gun it is that you select?
    in a fanny pack holster is how i planned on carrying or an inside the pants holster

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by leok View Post
    in a fanny pack holster is how i planned on carrying or an inside the pants holster
    OK, you state that most of the time you're in a mechanized chair, what kind?

I understand the want behind the laser, but point shooting at someone in close proximity while seated shouldn't be that big an issue

When seated, an IWB holster can be problematic enough as it is, and that's before adding in a tiny grip that doesn't leave much to get a grip on, if your chair is of the classic wheel chair variety, the arm rests may further hamper your drawstroke.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Can't make an informed comment on a laser--never owned one. As far as a handgun goes try to get a Colt detective special in your mit. It is a 6 shot 2 inch barreld steel framed revolver with an almost unreal factory double action trigger and a light crisp single action trigger.

These little Colts have a cult following for a reason: Lightweight but not to light,(steel) 6 shots instead of 5 almost jam proof and darn accurate!

The only thing I will add is that your ability to put fast, repeated, accurate hits on target is far more important than the caliber you are using.

If your limitations mean that the .22 is the best you are able to handle, then get lots of practice with it, and carry it with confidence.

As far as the laser goes, I think it would be a benefit to you, since you seem to have difficulty bringing the gun up to eye level to use the sights. I've used several different makes, and IMHO the Crimson Trace lasers are the best, due to their instinctive operation - simply grip the gun normally and the laser is on.

Good luck, and try as many different handguns as you can.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I too have physical disabilities,not as bad as yours but I am an incomplete quad,JD has given you some excellent advice,do you have any paralysis in your shooting hand,and is the dislocation an injury that is healing,they do make railed 22 pistols like the walther P22,but if you can handle the recoil a 380 or 9mm is better.they also make 22 revolvers and have come out with some newer calibers like the 327 that may work for you
    Prior to my spinal cord injury I was a right handed shooter,but due to partial paralysis of my right hand now shoot lefty,with a laser you may have a better option of shooting right handed,at least until your left is healed up
    I'm an incomplete quad also the shoulder is permanent unless I want to get it fused, which would mean more pain an more restrictions.
    my right hand I can use also but not as fast or as well. its mainly cause of my brain injury I had 7 yrs ago from the same accident. but, I'm already doing 1000 times more than anyone thought I'd ever do living on my own. managing my own finances an what not. I guess getting mugged was just part of the deal
    my friend suggested I take a look at this gun an shoot it an get a laser installed for it later on
    obviously try an find it a bit cheaper if I like it

Grouse has a really good point, the Colt Detective Special was my first carry gun. Very accurate, very reliable, the weight was good for the recoil felt... I could shoot that bugger quite well... and it concealed well, and it even saved me in a real potential altercation once, just by discretely displaying it in it's holster on my hip.

JD makes good points about carrying in a chair, I was in a regulation chair for a couple of years off and on... there's quite a bit of restriction in one with the arms on. and if you're under power, at least one arm rest is in place to hold the controls IINM.

Point shooting is great, I would think a laser would be a good addition, though they do require some training if you're used to using the front sight.

If it were me, I'd think a fanny pack or even the "Safe Packer" that JD mentions... could be right on your lap at all times... If you're in a chair, people don't notice much of the accoutrements in the chair... they've been taught it's rude to stare... (BTDT).

With the limitations you have stated... and even though being able to tap rack and bang (albeit in an ugly manner...) is what makes me think a revolver is the best option... But that is entirely up to you.

Best wishes... I hope you find some combination of weapon and holster you are truly comfortable, accurate, and happy with...
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I know I said revolver but if you are still thinking semi and have the money to set up a laser mount and all that I'd go with the full size M&P like JD said.

17 rounds
    Polymer so it's lighter
    Picitanny rail
    Crimson trace laser looks AMAZINGLY beautiful on that gun
    And you can get a safety or ambi safety on it for safer carry... safer being a relative term.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    If you are going to put a laser on it I would recommend you look at the S&W MP9c. The CT Laser Grip is a perfect fit on that gun.

Another possibility would be one of the small S&W revolvers with a CT Laser Grip.

Jim

ok I took into advice of everyone on this forum an went looking at several different handguns yesterday.
    didn't get the chance to fire any of them cause range was closed for repair's (flooding)
    but at least got my choices narrowed down to these so far
    these are not from there web site because they don't have one yet
    Sig Mosquito .22LR
    Smith & Wesson 637 .38 Spl+P 1-7/8", Crimson Trace Grip
    S&W M&P22 22LR 4.1 12R BL/BLK
    Taurus 5 Round 38 Special w/2.5" Barrel
    S&W BODYGUARD 38 103038 1.9 LASER BLK

Carry what is best for you and a pistol you will carry every day.

Lasers are a good thing. These are my EDC pistols...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links