what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun

This is a discussion on what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; right now I'm carrying a Beretta 22 lr an I know its not the biggest or baddest caliber around. but, due to the fact I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun

what is your suggestion for a concealed carry gun

right now I'm carrying a Beretta 22 lr
    an I know its not the biggest or baddest caliber around.
    but, due to the fact I spend about 90% of my time outdoors in a power wheelchair and that I shoot left handed (left shoulder is dislocated) with my right assisting in lifting it (my hand) up
    I can handle the recoil with no problems
    I was just wanting to know what your suggestions would be
    because I'm thinking of putting a laser on my chosen weapon for fast an accurate shot placement an to eliminate the need for my right hand assist or in case I ever need to get to cover fast while still being able to protect myself.

2. Remove Ads

Glock 19, very easily concealable, 15+1 capacity, extremely reliable and one of the finest combat hand guns ever made. I carry one everyday.

VIP Member
    Another vote for the G19 (I prefer the Gen3). There's a reason why it gets recommended the most, and it's not because we're all brain-washed. Many people (including myself) research, and experiment with just about everything and end up coming back to the G19. Unless your religion forbids Glock, it really should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Another vote for the G19 (I prefer the Gen3). There's a reason why it gets recommended the most, and it's not because we're all brain-washed. Many people (including myself) research, and experiment with just about everything and end up coming back to the G19. Unless your religion forbids Glock, it really should be considered.
    Yes I agree, Gen 3 for me too

VIP Member
    With your physical issues, do you have a specific weight/size requirement/restriction?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

JD
    Administrator
    Because you're in a wheel chair, you can carry a bigger gun in a Safe Packer or something similar, I'd go with a G17 or M&P-9. Also, if you're in a chair, I'd recommend a lanyard in case the gun is dropped. Do not mount a holster to the chair in case you are removed from it (knocked over etc.)

With a bum shoulder in the mix, you're going to want something with a lot of ammunition on board as reloading may me a PITA. If you're shoulder is bad enough that you can't perform immediate action (tap, rack, bang), you may want to consider a revolver...

Administrator
    JD gave you some good advice, I have nothing to add.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i would do M&P 9 full size. prefferably the pro series with the 4.25 barrel.

There simply is no "perfect" firearm that fits everyone. We all have differences, whether it be hand size, left of righty, or having a disability. All these factors come into play!!! In major ways!!!

For you, you should look at pistols that have apendexitrious(SP) controls.

What you should do is go to a local range and test all the rentals offered. They do charge per rental, but in certain circumstances at most ranges they will disregard the fees for the right reason(for firing... handling is like duh, free)....

Edit: If you choose something with a laser, check with Crimson Trace first, I love their pressure sensitive lasers.

I'd go with the Revolver... I'm young and healthier than most (with a little nerve damage that causes pain in my right arm) but even I noticed that racking the slide on a semi isn't as easy as it looks. I used to make fun of my gf alot because she couldn't rack the slide on my SpringfieldXD 3"... And then purposely tried to do it at half strength... IT IS HARD lol.

As for a new CC weapon I had and loved my G19. I wouldn't call it the perfect gun but it's a very well rounded gun for all uses, I'd say a perfect workhorse gun. And you can throw those new sights with a integrated laser or a crimson trace. I wouldn't trust the lasermax, only reason being I don't think you should change any internals in a carry gun especially springs.

Sorry I'm long winded but in conclusion my two cents is go with a revolver, as for the laser talk... from the State troopers I've talked to and cops, in a defensive situation the "tactic-cool" stuff (such as lasers) don't matter.

I too have physical disabilities,not as bad as yours but I am an incomplete quad,JD has given you some excellent advice,do you have any paralysis in your shooting hand,and is the dislocation an injury that is healing,they do make railed 22 pistols like the walther P22,but if you can handle the recoil a 380 or 9mm is better.they also make 22 revolvers and have come out with some newer calibers like the 327 that may work for you
    Prior to my spinal cord injury I was a right handed shooter,but due to partial paralysis of my right hand now shoot lefty,with a laser you may have a better option of shooting right handed,at least until your left is healed up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by darebear View Post
    I'd go with the Revolver... I'm young and healthier than most (with a little nerve damage that causes pain in my right arm) but even I noticed that racking the slide on a semi isn't as easy as it looks. I used to make fun of my gf alot because she couldn't rack the slide on my SpringfieldXD 3"... And then purposely tried to do it at half strength... IT IS HARD lol.

As for a new CC weapon I had and loved my G19. I wouldn't call it the perfect gun but it's a very well rounded gun for all uses, I'd say a perfect workhorse gun. And you can throw those new sights with a integrated laser or a crimson trace. I wouldn't trust the lasermax, only reason being I don't think you should change any internals in a carry gun especially springs.

Sorry I'm long winded but in conclusion my two cents is go with a revolver, as for the laser talk... from the State troopers I've talked to and cops, in a defensive situation the "tactic-cool" stuff (such as lasers) don't matter.

In most shooting situations, it's over before you even have time to think about your laser.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

To sort of reiterate what a few others were saying, I'm guessing racking the slide on bigger caliber semi-autos would be difficult with a dislocated shoulder. However, I've found my Heckler and Koch USP 9mm (and probably other HKs, but I haven't handled others in a while) is much easier than most other semi-autos I've tried. My mom can barely rack the slide on the Springfield XD9 subcompact, but has no issues with my USP. Being in a wheelchair, I would carry a full-sized gun, nobody will notice. I find the USP easy to reload too, when you hit the magazine release, it actually pops out, it doesn't just "unlock" and slide out. If you use the slide lock to release the slide in a reload, it is nicely oversized, so its easier to find and work compared to Glocks, XDs, etc. They do come at a premium price though.

If you have no problems racking the slide, Glocks or the XDs are fantastic guns. I personally chose the XD over the Glock because I like the grip safety and found the grip significantly better for me, it is also better than my USP. Other HK pistols have improved their grips though. I haven't shot a M&P, but I am interested in trying one and probably buying one at some point, they look like great guns, but I've just never handled one for more than 30 seconds at the gun store.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Power wheelchair, Right hand drive, left arm weak side (due to injury or other matters not).

We've all talked about the need to "get off the x" when engaged. The OP needs his right hand free to operate the controls of his means of evasion, and at least currently cannot easily raise a weapon to bear with the weak side.

I think a revolver would be a good choice. Less chance for a FTF, FTE, or other malfunction calling for Tap Rack Bang etc. The laser may allow firing from the lap or hip, as long as it's easily engaged. Practice of same required, and lots of it.

In this case; dashing for cover, moving to concealment, and other options that give the hale and healthy a better chance, are not available.

I see the handgun as a means of last resort to give us a fighting chance.

Leok,

You're at a disadvantage from the start. Your fighting chance isn't likely to come from OC Spray, a knife or anything but what for many of us is the last resort, the handgun. Disparity of force comes into play from the onset of any altercation.

Further, you have a limited ability to move away from the threat while fixing a non-functioning weapon. That's why I think the revolver a good choice, and perhaps the New York Reload (a second revolver) a good option as opposed to speed loaders or strips.

Only you can determine what recoil you can handle, and this determines the caliber of your weapon and it's construction (light alloy vs heavier steel). If the injury to your left is more or less permanent, I would strongly consider training with the laser and shooting from the lap or hip. You need your right to work the wheelchair.

Best to you and good luck...

I am not an expert in firearms or any such thing... I just think this makes the most sense to me... based on what you explain in your post. others may feel differently.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

VIP Member
    Listen to JD, he knows what he's talking about.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links