Traffic Accident While Carrying

This is a discussion on Traffic Accident While Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some lady wrecked my truck last Friday. That part sucked. However dealing with the police while carrying was very easy. I carry a .38 J ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Traffic Accident While Carrying

Some lady wrecked my truck last Friday. That part sucked. However dealing with the police while carrying was very easy. I carry a .38 J frame in a pocket holster. I had it on Friday.

When the first policeman came to my door to ask if I was all right (he must have been right across the street. he got there before my head cleared and my truck quit steaming) I didn't tell him I was carrying and he was very courteous.

When the EMT came to my door to ask if I was okay I didn't tell him. He had no problem with me carrying a revolver.

Through the course of the time on the side of Rt 12 several police officers spoke with me. I never mentioned to any of them that I was carrying. Not a single one of them had an issue with the fact that I was armed. They were professional and helpful. Frankly a better group of officers you couldn't ask for.

I believe I have found a winning formula for dealing with the authorities while exercising my second amendment rights. I'm going to stick with a winner!
    bbqgrill likes this.

That's fine unless you reside in a (Must inform state).

Glad you were okay and otherwise unharmed from the accident.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

so how did they know you were armed if you didn't tell them? Did I miss something there?
    IAm_Not_Lost likes this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

VIP Member
    I'm glad you're okay, and it's good that your CCW was a non-event during your accident.

If you're CCW and no one knows, hence no one could have a problem or an issue? In Connecticut you don't have to inform, and you chose not to, so I'm guessing this is the winning forumula you mentioned, I'm a bit confused?

Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    I didn't tell him I was carrying and he was very courteous.

When the EMT came to my door to ask if I was okay I didn't tell him. He had no problem with me carrying a revolver.

........several police officers spoke with me. I never mentioned to any of them that I was carrying. Not a single one of them had an issue with the fact that I was armed. I believe I have found a winning formula for dealing with the authorities while exercising my second amendment rights.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    so how did they know you were armed if you didn't tell them? Did I miss something there?
    He's saying that no one had a problem with him carrying concealed BECAUSE no one knew (i.e. he didn't tell anyone). He just didn't do a very good job of communicating that in writing. A lot of people write like they speak... unfortunately.

Back to the point of the original post; I agree with the philosophy of a shut mouth.

I'm a little confused trying to follow along with this one as well...I'm reading they never realized that you were armed??

*edit*

He's saying that no one had a problem with him carrying concealed BECAUSE no one knew (i.e. he didn't tell anyone).
    Thanks RR...that's kinda what I was thinking...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Silence is golden, as long as where your at does not require notification.

Here in VA we do not have to notify. However when your drivers license is ran they will know you have a permit, since it is linked to your drivers license and the officer is alerted. I've notified as well as played "Don't ask, Don't tell". The results have been the same, of course that is an advantage of being in a gun friendly state.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Happy everything turned out ok!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Macantic View Post
    Yes. You apparently missed the nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by ratman57 View Post
    Some lady wrecked my truck last Friday. That part sucked. However dealing with the police while carrying was very easy. I carry a .38 J frame in a pocket holster. I had it on Friday.

When the first policeman came to my door to ask if I was all right (he must have been right across the street. he got there before my head cleared and my truck quit steaming) I didn't tell him I was carrying and he was very courteous.

Through the course of the time on the side of Rt 12 several police officers spoke with me. I never mentioned to any of them that I was carrying. Not a single one of them had an issue with the fact that I was armed. They were professional and helpful. Frankly a better group of officers you couldn't ask for.

I believe I have found a winning formula for dealing with the authorities while exercising my second amendment rights. I'm going to stick with a winner!
    With all due respect, you have made some rather invalid assumptions. Since you didn't inform (I wouldn't have either; CT is a non-inform state) and you were pocket carrying (concealed) you have NO idea what either the EMT's or the officer's feelings were. Now if you had been open carrying and no one said a word, that would have given some validity to your assumptions.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Good grief folks, the story is well written nuanced sarcasm. Yes, his assumtions are valid, and very funny. It does not matter what they responders think because the OP was smart enough to not find out what the responders think regarding ccw.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Good grief folks, the story is well written nuanced sarcasm. Yes, his assumtions are valid, and very funny. It does not matter what they responders think because the OP was smart enough to not find out what the responders think regarding ccw.
    Finally....."Let there be light".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerRon View Post
    He's saying that no one had a problem with him carrying concealed BECAUSE no one knew (i.e. he didn't tell anyone). He just didn't do a very good job of communicating that in writing. A lot of people write like they speak... unfortunately....
    Thanks, I thought I was the only one re-reading the post several times trying to make sense of it. Anyway, I'm glad the OP wasn't seriously hurt.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I would do the same thing in Arizona, but here in Texas where I'm stationed it's must inform. Glad you didn't get hurt in the accident.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Mmmm, I was also a bit confused, and by this OP's thinking, the Po-Po would not have a problem with the criminals walking down the street with concealed firearms they did not detect. I'm just sayin'...
    Let me clarify my post a bit though, I'm glad that things went smoothly for you on the CCW side, but sorry about the truck damage.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links