What happens when you are threatened?

This is a discussion on What happens when you are threatened? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The thing about situational awareness being your best defense. That is true to a point. But you can't live in condition orange or red all ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What happens when you are threatened?

The thing about situational awareness being your best defense. That is true to a point. But you can't live in condition orange or red all the time. Situational awareness won't catch every threat. There are people out there who make it a point to strike when you are not paying attention. Often times, that may be only for a few moments. But if they are there watching you when you are not paying attention, they will exploit that.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

There have been two times where I have pulled a weapon to prevent a perceived attack. In both cases the sight of a weapon on my part defused the situation.
    Both times I was truly afraid for my life. What happened next with my feelings I do not fully understand. I became calm but at the same time I was terrified. Not terrified of the attackers but terrified that I was going to kill them. I was no longer afraid for my life but for the idea I was going to take a life. It was like I had accepted the fact these people were going to die. I still cannot totally explain this.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    What happened next with my feelings I do not fully understand. I became calm but at the same time I was terrified. Not terrified of the attackers but terrified that I was going to kill them. I was no longer afraid for my life but for the idea I was going to take a life. It was like I had accepted the fact these people were going to die. I still cannot totally explain this.

Michael
    I think that is a common feeling. I've experienced it a few times before, although not over an incident involving guns, but did involve self defense situations against strangers wanting to do harm to me.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I agree with this 100%. The problem is most of us don't have the time and/or money,health, or patience to continue to go to training classes. In order to deal with the type of threat described by the OP, you need training more like martial-arts or tactical gun fighting. Because shooting at a still paper target will not produce adrenaline like needs to be done for this type of training.
    maybe you don't have the time, money or interest in going to many SD classes but everyone should make the time and save the money to get to at least one or maybe two, what you will learn will certainly enhance your skills, open your eyes to things you may have never seen and could probably make you a better shot and a safer gun carrier. YMMV but I urge everyone to train with a professional trainer, even if it is just a one time thing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links