Local Store Visit While CC

This is a discussion on Local Store Visit While CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by LeadReign Everyday carry have become a way of life for me since I obtained my CC permit. All the Goodies from Flashlight, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Local Store Visit While CC

Quote Originally Posted by LeadReign View Post
    Everyday carry have become a way of life for me since I obtained my CC permit. All the Goodies from Flashlight, lighter, multi tool, pocket knife, extra magazine and firearm. I walk into my neighborhood grocery store just yesterday and I get this weird feeling at the check out. I notice that the rent a cop has come around behind me and has setup on me 6' behind my left shoulder. Now i can see this with my periphreals and see how a cashier has taken the people that came up behind me in line to another line. So the rent a cop/security guard is watching me with his arms crossed and I am still keeping my back to him and he still doesnt know i have noticed him yet. I am keeping my strong side slightly facing away from him.

This is the weird part. Most of the people that work there know me as a regular customer. Even the rotating security guards that work there have conversed with me more than once in the past 3 years.

Why would this one day be so different that they would have to make the hairs on my neck stand up?

Granted my attire was the same as always; but I was wearing my FS M&P and not my compact cause i sent it in for a throat job and apex parts.

Just curious on your thoughts.
    You're carrying too much "stuff". That and your body language gave you away. And/or you were printing
    BkCo1 likes this.

2. Remove Ads

ITW, A security guard most likely would attack to restrain a person not to harm or kill someone. Of course if the security person was presenting a leathel threat, one would take appropate action. If one was restrained then it is better to let the lawyers fight it out. I never would agree to let someone do great harm to you.
    Welcome Aboard
    Semper Fi

What kind of clothes do you wear?

Some may consider it an unjustified biased, but I don't...I'm more likely to trust someone dressed respectably than someone wearing baggy pants and skull-printed shirt.
    “Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.”
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by GunKeen View Post
    What kind of clothes do you wear?

Some may consider it an unjustified biased, but I don't...I'm more likely to trust someone dressed respectably than someone wearing baggy pants and skull-printed shirt.
    Guess you go bonkers when you see a Spikes Tactical tee shirt with the skull on front and spider on back.

As to the baggy pants, sorry it's an old mans disease, bad case of Noassatall.
    Don't shoot, it's just me.

ITW
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    ITW, A security guard most likely would attack to restrain a person not to harm or kill someone. Of course if the security person was presenting a leathel threat, one would take appropate action. If one was restrained then it is better to let the lawyers fight it out. I never would agree to let someone do great harm to you.
    Welcome Aboard
    Semper Fi
    BkCo1, I understand what you're saying.

But if you're carrying you have to assume any physical altercation has the potential to relieve you of your weapon.

At the point your weapon retention is in jeopardy, you no longer have control of it or control of how it can be used.

This is weapon retention 101, and isn't covered adequately in most CC classes in my opinion.

Unless it's a law enforcement officer, you can't take that risk. That means if a security guard invades your space or tries to get touchy feely on you, you say in a loud voice;

'step back, I'm legally armed.'

Then take whatever action is necessary to prevent anyone from overpowering you.

This is where it can get dicey in a public environment. Because if you're in a store, and store security suspects you have a weapon, doesn't understand the law and attempts to be a hero you risk other patrons/shoppers joining in against the guy with the gun. At that point you've got multiple people all fighting over control of your weapon. That could get ugly fast.

IMO, you can't afford to be intimidated when carrying by anyone that's not an LEO. By law they don't have the legal authority to detain you, restrain you or disarm you. All they can legally do is ask you to leave.

And if they try to get physical on you or take your weapon, at that point your life is in jeopardy. Perhaps from an accidental discharge, perhaps in the heat of the moment a bystander gets ahold of it.

Thanks for the welcome.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Did you consider either turning around or not, and asking, "Is there something I can help you with?" By the description of the rent-a-goon's posture, it looks like they suspected you of something. It may be that you were 'spotted', it may be something else.
    Just wondering...given certain discussions I have been in...how do we know the "rent-a-goon" did not see himself as a sheepdog, and was concerned he had spotted a wolf?
    "To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence." Friedrich Nietzsche

photo.jpg Pretty much every day like this switch out shorts for pants in winter.
    M&P 15 T
    M&P .40
    M&P .40c
    Moss 500

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links