Division of Motor Vehicles and Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Division of Motor Vehicles and Concealed Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The irony of this being my drivers license expired on 9-11-2011 a Sunday. The DMV was closed so I am on vacation this week and ...

Thread: Division of Motor Vehicles and Concealed Carry

Division of Motor Vehicles and Concealed Carry

The irony of this being my drivers license expired on 9-11-2011 a Sunday. The DMV was closed so I am on vacation this week and can literally walk down the street where it is located from my home. So, I did that today 9-12-2011 and arrived at 9:12 AM.

I know the building has a "Firearms Are Prohibited" sign that greets you at the front door, so the pistol had to stay home. Yet, when they wanted additional forms of identification, they accepted my Concealed Pistol/Revolver License! I was a tad surprised. They didn't ask me if I was carrying, I expected that next.

I got my new drivers license and am now good to go. Who would have thought I can use my carry permit as ID for it, but not allowed to carry the handgun into the building where I renew it.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

You can't carry in the BMV branches here in Ohio, either. Signs posted on the door. Of course, you can't carry into any government buildings in Ohio, but the BMV branches are contracted out.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Did the same thing on base when I lost my retired military ID, she needed two forms of picture ID and all I had were my DL and FL CCW. Her eyes got a little big but she accepted both.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Luckily carry in state buildings is not prohibited here in VA, except for court buildings. Of course I wouldn't walk to the DMV, so even if prohibited, I would be armed until leaving it in my truck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    You can't carry in the BMV branches here in Ohio, either. Signs posted on the door. Of course, you can't carry into any government buildings in Ohio, but the BMV branches are contracted out.
    There was an armed robbery at a Columbus location a couple years ago. (I guess the guy was tired of waiting in line!)

But, they still have those signs posted...

State issued document is OK for ID almost anywhere............

Here at the DMV,unless there is a Justice of the Peace,or court in the same building we can carry,the one closest to my house has a JOP so no carry inside,I got another 2 years before my license expires
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I carried at the one nearest my house when I renewed last year. No problems doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by steelhawk View Post
    I carried at the one nearest my house when I renewed last year. No problems doing so.
    Our WV Division of Motor Vehicles is posted right on the front door, you cannot miss the sign, one of those with sillouhette of a handgun inside the red circle-slash across. It is illegal in WV to carry into a building that is posted with no particular kind sign. I just found it ironic that they will accept my Concealed Pistol/Revolver License as identification, but won't allow me to carry a firearm inside of the building.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Another reason to love Texas. Government owned or leased buildings or properties are prohibited by law to restrict carry with a CHL. I can even go to the capital building and not only I am allowed to carry, but they have a special entrance where you don't have to go through the metal detectors like everyone else.

Links