Why do you carry? (A serious discussion)

This is a discussion on Why do you carry? (A serious discussion) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry because I occasionaly deal with the evil that this world has to offer. To see it and experience it in every way possible, ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Why do you carry? (A serious discussion)

Senior Moderator
    I carry because I occasionaly deal with the evil that this world has to offer.

To see it and experience it in every way possible, to see the carnage and the broken lives that result from it and NOT carry, is INSANE.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones, period.

I totally agreed with you!

I believe with everything that is in me, the blessing America has been given with the Constitution of our great Republic. For every right that sacred document has given us, we each have the responsibility to preserve it. For all those who have fought and died to protect our freedoms,.I write this because the First Amendment gives me free speech. I carry a weapon as a means to protect myself because the Second Amendment gives me that right, and because I have that right, I have that responsibility.
    Last edited by tcon67; September 30th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Just as someone's signature on here says (will quote when I find it), something to the effect of "I carry a gun to finish a fight that I never wanted to be in."
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Read my screen name and my signature.

My $.02

I think the discussion of why people carry is mostly about accepting certain facts. There is no magic answer, it's kind of like asking a Republican or a Democrat why they are which. Both sides know the answer each will give to the question, if you think about it. The differences between the Dem's and the Repub's and between us the the anti's are which answerers you accept as valid. It's typically a combination of life experiences and the family environment you grew up in.

My father and all my uncles spent time in the military, they grew up dirt poor and in the boonies. Me, I grew up in a semi rural part of town, there was a gun cabinet in the den that had the key in the door since before I was born. They were tools used for a purpose, varmints, hunting and pleasure. No big mystery and nothing to be scared of, respected yes, but not feared.

The decision for me to carry was no different that deciding to carry a pocket knife. It's a tool that has a specific purpose. Nothing more, nothing less. That purpose, is to be the last line of defense for my family and myself in a world that has become far too unpredictable.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Why do you carry a handgun? Because I have seen firsthand what one human being can do to another just because.

· Have you personally ever been threatened with violence? Yes.

· Are you the victim of a violent attack? No. The fact of carrying a firearm prevented it

· Do you carry simply because it makes you feel macho? No

· Do you doubt the ability of police to protect you from crime? No. There is no doubt that if I call the police they will come however it is the time between the call and arrival I am concerned with.

· If you carry openly, do you use a simple belt holster or wear your pistol in a tactical thigh rig? N/A

· Do you make it a point to show people you carry a firearm, or do you feel it is none of their business if you are armed? None of their business

· Do you believe there should be no restrictions, few restrictions (i.e. jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, public buildings, public schools and/or hospitals) or widespread restrictions (including sports stadiums, taverns and cocktail lounges, restaurants, public parks) on where you can legally carry? I wish it was possible that there could be no restictions but alas I dont think it would work for everyone. Jails, mental facilities, courtrooms, schools, bars would probably be included in my list.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have always carried as a means to defend myself if the need arises. A couple of weeks ago, another example of why one should be lrepared for anything. A young man was killed as a random target in a gang initiation. Oh, and it was in a college town in Alabama. Not something we ever think about here, but it happened. That was less then a block away from my work. A place I pass on my bike as I ride to work a couple times a week.

There's a big banner across the storefront of my LGS...
    "AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"

I think there's a lot of truth to that statement.
    If many (we're never going to get "most", and certainly not "all") citizens are armed, wouldn't all the criminals have to give a bit of thought as to the likely success (and potential for it to end very badly for them) of their "ventures"?

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    There's a big banner across the storefront of my LGS...
    "AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY"

I think there's a lot of truth to that statement.
    If many (we're never going to get "most", and certainly not "all") citizens are armed, wouldn't all the criminals have to give a bit of thought as to the likely success (and potential for it to end very badly for them) of their "ventures"?
    I agree with this. As a compliment to this, I also like the quote, "With great power comes great responsibility."

I think a responsible armed society is a polite society.

What if I have to shoot someone? Can't do that without one!
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones, period.

As the saying goes, when seconds count - law enforcement is only minutes away.

That said, I hope all the money I've invested in guns, ammo, training, etc is all a huge waste and that I never need any of it. That would be the biggest return on investment I could ever hope for.
    I could not state it any better. My sentiments exactly. Thanks for stating it so well.
    Thunder71 likes this.

I had to run for my life when I was 18. I had to explain that on my CHL application. My house and car have been burglarized. I know people who have been held up, brutally beaten, raped, and good people who have had their loved ones murdered. I had an Ah Hah moment recently. I could be touched by the chaos of violence. I don't want to die. Or be disabled. Or, be helpless to stop this from happening to my companions. In the future I may not always carry, but for now- always and everywhere.
    I enjoy shooting and that makes training fun.
    Skillet Hot!

I carry a gun because im not Bruce lee or some ultimate bad a, Better to have one then not...
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

God has blessed me with an amazing, beautiful bride. He has also blessed us with a beautiful daughter. If I have the means to protect them, I will...and not think twice about doing so. While I pray I never have to, I have already settled it in me, that I will.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links