Why do you carry? (A serious discussion)

This is a discussion on Why do you carry? (A serious discussion) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Monday morning (9-12), I did an Examiner on-line column that was at least partly inspired by many of the posts I've read here while lurking. ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Why do you carry? (A serious discussion)

Why do you carry? (A serious discussion)

Monday morning (9-12), I did an Examiner on-line column that was at least partly inspired by many of the posts I've read here while lurking.
    I'm looking to get some thoughtful answers and observations, both here and in the feedback section below my column about why people carry defensive firearms.. There are some 6.2 million of us out there (more on the way in Wisconsin!) and as I note right up front, answers do not often get the reception they deserve.

Take a look at the questions I post in there and any answers you post here, please cut and past and post in the feedback section, too. Not everyone who follows my Examiner column is a member here (as you probably guessed!)

True confessions: Why do you carry a gun?

True confessions: Why do you carry a gun? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Though I’m not interested in cross-pollinating my post I will contribute to this thread.
    I carry today because I don't care to die by the hand of another. There was a time where I didn't carry at all but the whole 'change we can believe in' mantra isn't working out so well.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones, period.

As the saying goes, when seconds count - law enforcement is only minutes away.

That said, I hope all the money I've invested in guns, ammo, training, etc is all a huge waste and that I never need any of it. That would be the biggest return on investment I could ever hope for.

Dave, you do the cutting and pasting, I don't use the methods of posting my comment that your Examiner offers.

Over one's lifetime, according to the National Safety Council (2007), the odds of dying in a firearms assault are 1 in 306. The odds are about the same for a reportable house fire... I have experienced the latter and my home was a total loss. I have a fire extinguisher, and if I am home in the event a fire breaks out, I have a line of defense to stop it early with little loss.

The logic is the same to me. A person carries a firearm to defend their life or the life of their loved ones. It is a line of defense that is intended to stop someone from killing or causing great bodily injury to myself or my family.

The police are not there to protect me (regardless of what the shield says). They are there to catch the people who have already committed a crime against me. It is incumbent on me to protect myself.

While I have not been the victim of violent crime, a close personal friend was stabbed, beaten, and left for dead walking home one night. If not for some good Samaritans, he would not be here today. Yes, the bad guys were caught! Yes, they were brought to trial and found guilty, 1 year later. How many other innocent victims were there in the interim or before my friend was nearly killed?

I carry a gun. I hope I never have to use it in self defense. But I will not hesitate to do so.

That's as "pithy" as I get.
    afojc, Tzadik, Chief1297 and 2 others like this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

I carry because I have a family that I care about.

I carry because I understand that it is my responsibility to protect myself and mine. I accept that responsbility.
    Sig Sauer P229 SCT 9mm
    CrossBreed Super Tuck
    Glock 27
    Galco IWB
    SureFire E2D

I carry a gun or two because; it's ridiculous to believe that anyone but myself gives a darn about me or my families life. Even first responders have to use caution when responding to calls evolving violent crimes, by then it's usually already to late for the victims, as the deed has already been done. I prefer to be ready and have a fighting chance to survive a lethal encounter.
    WHEC724, BkCo1, afojc and 5 others like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    In Luke 22:36 "But now," he said, "take a duffle bag if you have one and your money. And if you don't have a sword, better sell your clothes and buy one! For the time has come for this prophecy about me to come true: 'He will be condemned as a criminal!' Yes, everything written about me by the prophets will come true."

"Just before his arrest and death Jesus told his disciples to sell their clothes and use the money to buy a SWORD". My understanding of those words is that because he would no longer be there with them they needed to take care of their own needs. Self protection being one of those needs.

The charge to be responsible and take care of our own needs still stand today. Self protection still being one of them.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

ITW
    I thought the fire extinguisher analogy was about right.

When acting proactively and politely doesn't work, it's nice to have other options.

I would prefer if I didn't feel I had to do so. For me, it's really just another hassle and time that would be better spent on doing something positive.

And isn't that the dilemma.
    oakchas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveWorkman View Post
    Monday morning (9-12), I did an Examiner on-line column that was at least partly inspired by many of the posts I've read here while lurking.
    I'm looking to get some thoughtful answers and observations, both here and in the feedback section below my column about why people carry defensive firearms.. There are some 6.2 million of us out there (more on the way in Wisconsin!) and as I note right up front, answers do not often get the reception they deserve.
    Okay. Here are some truthful answers:
    • To protect myself, my loved ones, my home and property, and possible even a complete stranger from the evil thugs of this world.
    • To protect myself from wild animals
    • To become part of a group of people who carry guns, with hopefully the result being a deterrent to potential criminals who might stop to consider some citizens are carrying guns.
    • To make sure my name goes down as another "vote." For example, when politicians look at the statistics of how many people have concealed permits (thus signaling how popular the law is and how many make use of it)
    protek and garyj97 like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    In my years on earth I have come to realize some things:

1. While the police do their best, they are seldom going to around when you need them.
    2. The criminal element of society prey on those they perceive as weak. As I enter my senior years, more and more I will be viewed as an easy target.
    3. Life is to uncertain to take anything for granted. You must be prepared for whatever comes at you.
    4. A gun is not the answer to all problems, but when it is the answer, you better have one available.

I don't carry because I want to be a LEO.
    I don't carry because it makes me feel macho.
    I don't carry to save the world.

I carry because I want to go home at night and spend what time I have left on earth with my loved ones.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Only I carry the responsibility for the well-being of myself and my family. It is not the government's job, and it is not the LEO's job. It's an old-fashioned notion of responsibility and accountability.
    scout706 likes this.

In the current state of technology, it is the most practical and effective method of stopping criminal aggression.
    oakchas likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I carry to protect myself, family, and others from the evil of bad people who would harm or kill the same.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

1. To protect myself and my family.

2. It is my right to do so.
    FW21

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links