are there any statistics backing up carry, concealed or open

This is a discussion on are there any statistics backing up carry, concealed or open within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by boatman They must exist, just don't know where. In how many instances were robbery or assault prevented, etc. I has having this ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: are there any statistics backing up carry, concealed or open

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    They must exist, just don't know where. In how many instances were robbery or assault prevented, etc. I has having this discussion with someone who was throwing out numbers that there are way more murder, suicide, accidental shooting than helpfulness. I didn't have answers here. And the newspapers have something all the time about someone killing a family member (most recent is the case in upstate NY this past weekend). There is not much on , 'local citizen prevents.....'

Pls point me in the right direction so the next time I don't just look like a fool with my mouth open and nothing intelligent coming out when this issue comes up.
    I suggest Prof. John Lott's book, "More Guns, Less Crime, 3nd Edition".

Amazon.com: More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws, Third Edition (Studies in Law and Economics) (9780226493664): John R. Lott Jr.: Books

2. Remove Ads

I also recommend Lott. he is an honest researcher and as one said, the book is not exciting to tread. It is not supposed to be.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

One can never know if open carry prevented a crime. By lacking this information, one can only guess at a conclusion.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by boatman View Post
    They must exist, just don't know where. In how many instances were robbery or assault prevented, etc. I has having this discussion with someone who was throwing out numbers that there are way more murder, suicide, accidental shooting than helpfulness. I didn't have answers here. And the newspapers have something all the time about someone killing a family member (most recent is the case in upstate NY this past weekend). There is not much on , 'local citizen prevents.....'

Pls point me in the right direction so the next time I don't just look like a fool with my mouth open and nothing intelligent coming out when this issue comes up.
    I don't think there is accurate info around about that unless there was a shooting involved. Then it would be in Police Records

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links