After how long do you tell someone? - Page 2

After how long do you tell someone?

This is a discussion on After how long do you tell someone? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 357and40 BOTH... It's my 88 magnum and my firearm... I heard that most of those 88 magnums only fire blanks, that true?...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: After how long do you tell someone?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    BOTH... It's my 88 magnum and my firearm...
    I heard that most of those 88 magnums only fire blanks, that true?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Maybe it will go like this......

Watch the last part of the scene......

Tackleberry/Kirland (Police Academy) - YouTube
    RETSUPT99 likes this.

Start gradually with a few innocent questions:

1). Is she a Democrat?

2). Did she vote for Obama?

3). Is she from California/New Jersey/New York/Maryland/Chicago?

4). Has she ever heard of the NRA?

5). Has she ever heard of the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence?

etc.....

It's been way too long to remember exactly what happened, as far as mentioning firearms while I was dating my wife, but I have pics of us shooting my S&W .357 magnum while on our honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    My advice would be while talking about stuff you like to do, mention going to the gun range. If that produces an undesirable response, find a more reasonable woman.
    Well said

More advice rent dont buy .

I learned the hard way bout buying

Ex Member
    When you hug her she will know you carry, or be REAL impressed.
    Erick46590 likes this.

I don't recall NE being all that liberal in my time there. Most of the girls I knew were not midwest "city" girls. Their families hunted and what not. I'd watch the news and just say, WOW what would you do in that situation, scary, I bet they were wishing they could protect themselves somehow, etc.

NE is kinda funny though I think it will depend on where you are....Lincoln, Omaha, or Karney (sp.) You could get hot country farm girl, or girl that thinks she is a big city girl.

Let her find it when you are making out. It always makes for an interesting experience.
    MadMac likes this.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    For me it wasn't much of an issue since we met in a martial arts class and one of our first discussions was "What do you always have with you for self-defense?"

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    Start gradually with a few innocent questions:

1). Is she a Democrat?

2). Did she vote for Obama?

3). Is she from California/New Jersey/New York/Maryland/Chicago?

4). Has she ever heard of the NRA?

5). Has she ever heard of the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence?

etc.....
    Just a few comments on your posts which I pretty much agree with but not necessarily set in stone.

1. I agree a relationship will have a lot of problems if you don't agree politically.
    2. My ladyfriend did vote for Obama (before she met me) and is very sorry she did. We both are happy conservatives.
    3. However I'm in my 60's and both my lady friend and I met here in SC and both originally from NY.
    4. I wear NRA shirts, hats and car sticker with no complaints. She also feels a safer when I carry.
    5. Brady never came up... well maybe Tom..

My house said it all. Walls have US flag, map of Texas, decorative Stetson and old leather holster belt. Bookshelves of military history and theories(pro&con) and lots of action movies on DVD. Galco packaging in recycle bin. Cabela's receipt on desk. I'm too busy to hide what I do in my free time.
    Dealing with this myself. Dating means different things. Be discreet if unsure, but be honest if someone digs you that you want to be serious with. Better to end early if they don't trust anyone to responsibly take responsibility for themselves.
    In Texas you can't tell someone you are carrying. Except a LEO. Or, on your own private property and the like. Not in public. "You have a gun right Now?!"...in public:( even friends don't get to ask cuz I don't discuss it.
    That's why I'm on this forum. Wrap it, regardless.
    Last edited by limatunes; September 17th, 2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: language

Senior Moderator
    Not that I have to worry about dating right now but I don't see much point in beating around the bush.

In the initial "meet and greet" before I even accepted an invitation to a date I would ask about things like religion, politics, kids, guns and get it all out on the table.. no point in getting emotionally involved with someone who is not going to be compatible in the long run... just makes it harder to say goodbye or tempts you to compromise on things you probably shouldn't or won't be able to give up in the long run.

Poor JD... after he asked me out the first time I sat down with him and went over a literal list of qualities I needed in a man. If he didn't have what I needed I would have said, "We can still be friends," and he wouldn't be my husband and father of my two children today.

(PS.. Patience was one of those qualities..lol)

On the other hand, if all you are looking for is a good time.................

well, then, keep the thing well hid and use protection.

As Lima said - if you're only looking for a good time, don't even bring it up. You're probably not going to talk politics or religion, so why talk guns? But if you're talking about serious relationships, I definitely agree with the suggestions of doing it early in the process while talking about things you like to do. The range suggestion is ok, but I know women who have no problem with guns or the fact that I carry, but they have no desire to go shooting. I'm not a person who has to do everything together so when they go shopping, I go shooting (which gives me plenty of range time!) but I personally don't consider it a deal breaker. One woman I used to date even got her CWP because she became interested.

If they're afraid of guns, it's a different story - they don't have to enjoy shooting them, but they DO have to know how to shoot them safely! If they refused to either let me teach them or take a gun safety class, it would be time to move on.

Well. I can see how you might be able to conceal a firearm on your person during a trip to the supermarket and such. It is unclear to me how you would manage to conceal your firearm successfully across several dates.

At least, in the way that I understand "dating," it isn't something you do standing 3 feet away from your partner, remaining swathed in concealing garments. You'll be getting in and out of cars. Dancing, perhaps. Going swimming. Strolling along the beach hand in hand. And so forth.

To conceal a firearm throughout this sort of behavior would require a stand-offishness that would preclude a favorable outcome.

Now, do you normally go about telling people that you carry a gun on your person? Hopefully, you don't. Same with your date. When the matter arises, it will be because she either sees it or feels it on your person. Play it from there.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Well. I can see how you might be able to conceal a firearm on your person during a trip to the supermarket and such. It is unclear to me how you would manage to conceal your firearm successfully across several dates.

At least, in the way that I understand "dating," it isn't something you do standing 3 feet away from your partner, remaining swathed in concealing garments. You'll be getting in and out of cars. Dancing, perhaps. Going swimming. Strolling along the beach hand in hand. And so forth.

To conceal a firearm throughout this sort of behavior would require a stand-offishness that would preclude a favorable outcome.

Now, do you normally go about telling people that you carry a gun on your person? Hopefully, you don't. Same with your date. When the matter arises, it will be because she either sees it or feels it on your person. Play it from there.
    I guess that depends on what and where and how you carry. You can be very gentle and mindful about how you let someone (even your date) touch you. If your date starts putting his/her hand around your waist you can softly take it, kiss it and put it on your shoulder. While dancing you can go low and make them go high, etc, etc.

True, if you carry a bat belt's worth of stuff (mag carrier, knife, flashlight, pepper spray, etc, etc) she'll probably find SOMETHING.

I've successfully concealed weapons on my body during dates.. even when the clothes came off there was a way to keep things hidden provided you don't let your date do all the work. Anyone who doesn't respect your boundaries or your preferences isn't worth your time anyway. You just have to be smart about it and not too stiff or standoffish or jerky.. that will alert your date more than anything else... either that or she'll think there's something wrong with her and/or you.

If you are looking for something serious then get the conversation taken care of almost immediately so you don't waste your time or emotions. Start with asking her about guns in general and then carry. You know if she absolutely HATES guns and doesn't even want to look at one you probably don't want to progress to telling her you have one on you. If it's not serious go ahead and have fun and be careful. If it started out as fun and starts to get serious bring it up ASAP before you get too involved.

Be prepared as she might be REALLY ticked to find out you were carrying a firearm with you on dates without her knowledge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links