After how long do you tell someone?

This is a discussion on After how long do you tell someone? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I am a younger male and have been doing the "dating scene" a lot lately. So that has got me thinking a little ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: After how long do you tell someone?

Hey all,
    I am a younger male and have been doing the "dating scene" a lot lately. So that has got me thinking a little bit. It may be a silly question, but I want to hear your opinions. At what point would you tell the person your dating you carry? I mean, obviously you don't introduce yourself and say "Hi, im ---, i carry". But on the other end if you wait for to long it could cause some issues too. So, this is more of a conversation question, but at what point do you/have you/would you tell your person your seeing you carry?

Thanks!
    -Nick.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I have dated several women while carrying. It truly depends on the situation. Relationships go through stages and if you meet a girl and you are not serious, no need to tell her. Once you become "involved" and you start confiding in each other, I think she should know. You can bring it up in several ways. As Capt. Jack Sparrow always says, "wait for the opportune moment". Let the conversation flow and when the opportunity arises, bring up personal protection, what would you do if, etc.
    OD* and atctimmy like this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I was married for many years before deciding to carry so take this for what it's worth. I think I would definately try to feel out her position on guns and self-defense either the first or second date and then go from there. If she's on our side then you may be able to tell her sooner. She may find it admirable and attractive.

Definately before ya'll get too huggy and frisky. You don't want tog et to 2nd base and get thrown out at third.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

eb
    My advice would be while talking about stuff you like to do, mention going to the gun range. If that produces an undesirable response, find a more reasonable woman.

VIP Member
    ...So, what do you like to do? Ahh you know, the usual guy stuff; computers, hanging with friends, target shooting, etc. That will be the shoe in with her follow-on questions.
    atctimmy, ASSA9, joker1 and 2 others like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

bring up personal protection, what would you do if, etc.
    You wanta try to be on the same page,when you bring up a topic about how you carry to be safe and start talking about different brands like Winchester,Federal,Hornady,Cor Bon etc and stopping power,and in some cases may not even need protection,she may think your talking about condoms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    You could always break the news to her on the way to the date at shooting range.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When dating, I usually suggest a shooting range date early on, like, within the first 3-5 dates. If she is appalled, then there are no more dates.
    Stubborn and atctimmy like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eb View Post
    My advice would be while talking about stuff you like to do, mention going to the gun range. If that produces an undesirable response, find a more reasonable woman.
    That is good advice.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    At what point would you tell the person your dating you carry?
    I'd say when the nipple makes its first appearance.

Or you are out dancing and she says "is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me". You say "funny you should ask......."

Just tell her. Chances are she will be just fine with it.

I met a wonderful woman 10 years ago after I'd been divorced from my first one. She really wasn't into firearms all that much, knew I had them but not a lot was said.

Long story short, when I told her where they were in the house, she wanted to learn how to use them, you know, just in case. With explaination of revover, semi-auto, caliber etc and a trip to the range, she fell in love with shooting, got her carry permit and now possesses a Ruger LCP and wants a Ruger LCR and also wants to pop off some rounds with my recently acquired Mosin-Nagant.

You never know, your gal just might do what mine has. So, just man up and tell her.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

Or you are out dancing and she says "is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me". You say "funny you should ask......."
    Ahhhh someone beat me to the gun in your pocket joke.

But the idea of taking her to a shooting range for a date is a great idea. If she totally freaks out or wont do it, its time to move on.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

You know, I already had my CHL when I met my wife. I met her shortly after getting the license. I actually don't remember too much of how that went down. I think I just told her one day when we were talking. She didn't seem to really care. What I can't seem to remember is if I ever carried while on a date with her before telling her. At that point in my life I had the license but I was 21 years old and I wasn't carrying every day. I seem to think I did not.. I think I had it in the car with me (which at the time actually required a license to do, although does not these days after the law changed) I was worried that if we got a little physical she might feel the gun under my shirt and freak out or something after discovering what it was. I was afraid she'd think I was a serial killer or something. But fortunately, none of that happened.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Better be talking about it before you decide to drop your pants.... then she'll know for sure.

I brought it up with one woman about the 4th time we went out, and her response was a surprise.

She said, "Oh, I was worrying about how I was going to bring this up to you..... SO DO I"... as she lifted the side of her shirt to show me her gun in an IWB holster.

The real kicker was when she gave me a hug, felt the gun there .... and said , 'a Springfield XD ? " ..... and it was.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post

BOTH... It's my 88 magnum and my firearm...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links