Possible homeowners insurance policy that will cover defensive Firearm liability - Page 2

Possible homeowners insurance policy that will cover defensive Firearm liability

This is a discussion on Possible homeowners insurance policy that will cover defensive Firearm liability within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm next door in CT. Keep us posted....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Possible homeowners insurance policy that will cover defensive Firearm liability

VIP Member
    I'm next door in CT. Keep us posted.

I do not believe I would consider this. I like insurance salesmen about as much as I like a tax collector.

I am a four-line Licensed Resident Insurance Producer in Michigan, but am currently in finance. To the best of my knowledge, I am covered through my Personal Liability Umbrella Policy through my carrier. I believe I am covered as long as I am not partaking in an illegal activity, but will dig out the policy language tomorrow to verify. The description on the the policy says "accidentally injure someone" though.

Doing the math, you would pay $8,000 in policy premium over the course of 40 years of coverage. I don't have the statistics, but I am curious as to the risk.

Umbrella policy. Will cover you on top of your home owners limits, also for things that are far more likely than a defensive firearms use.

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    Umbrella policy. Will cover you on top of your home owners limits, also for things that are far more likely than a defensive firearms use.
    Right. You may pay a bit more to up your auto liability limits, but the added coverage is well worth it. I think I am at about $120 a year or so for just the umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by hazard123 View Post
    I do not believe I would consider this. I like insurance salesmen about as much as I like a tax collector.
    I am in insurance...
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I applaud your efforts and interest in doing something like this. I wish you good luck.

FYI, there is already a very well developed, four year old membership organization called the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network, which offers protection for those involved in a legal defense of themselves and their families. It operates in every state of the union and includes training, information and a proprietary list of attorneys who specialize in self-defense cases and law, for every state.

Should you have an incident in an area where there is no attorney, we provide boots-on-the-ground support immediately. There is a significant cash fund available to provide legal assistance and in the event of an incident, the first $10K of a member's legal costs are paid right up front. Period.

The $85 per year cost for all of this is one of the most affordable in the arena. Tha ACLDN chose not to be an insurance product, but rather a membership organization, so they are free from much of the red tape that can be part of that process. The help to members is direct and immediate.

I wish you very good luck on your project! There is always room for other alternatives.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by telechris74 View Post
    The description on the the policy says "accidentally injure someone" though.
    Certainly doesn't SOUND like they would over your intentional shooting of an intruder (neither inside your home, outside on your own property, or off your own property.

I've got a State Farm umbrella, and they verbally told me I'm covered, but I'm not certain that it's ironclad.

I had my liability increased from 300.000 to one million for just 4.00 a year

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    Certainly doesn't SOUND like they would over your intentional shooting of an intruder (neither inside your home, outside on your own property, or off your own property.

I've got a State Farm umbrella, and they verbally told me I'm covered, but I'm not certain that it's ironclad.
    Mike, if they told you are covered you are... Do get clarification though... Your agent has what is called binding authority which means your insurance covers whatever he told you are covered for.
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post

My PLUP is through State Farm as well. Take a look at their website (I can't find my policy here at the moment) and it does say "accicentally." Knowing my agent's office, I would really like to get clarification from Claims.

Mike, if they told you are covered you are... Do get clarification though... Your agent has what is called binding authority which means your insurance covers whatever he told you are covered for."
    I would be concerned that the agent might not be correct. We are in sales after all :) I have seen where an error in statement was made. Now, would the agent's Error and Omission Policy come in to play in that situation? I imagine if it was the difference between paying a $1,000,000 claim or not, what was said between the agent and the client could be questioned. The policy language is what would hold up. Just my thoughts.

I am finally offering an insurance product that offers much better coverage than the NRA excess liability policy with optional self defense coverage. Take a look at my you tube video for a comparison between my policy offering and the NRAs. I'm only offering it in NY for now. Feel free to contact me with any questions. My contact info is listed in the video. Feel free to pass it along to any friends or family located in NY state. We write insurance all across the entire state. Being a gun owner, a NRA member, and an insurance agent provided me the motivation to first and foremost find the best policy to protect my family. And now I'm working with several gun clubs and many firearm dealers across NY state. Feel free to shoot me an email with any questions. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14nSa...e_gdata_player

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    As for NRA insurance, one of my clubs is insured by them and I am NOT impressed with their claim handling. Two of our buildings collapsed last Winter and it took >6 months for Lloyd's of London (underwriter for NRA) to agree to their own US adjusters numbers and cough up the money to rebuild the buildings. Hopefully, I'll never have to deal with any claims against my NRA Instructors coverage, as they have shown their incompetence in dealing with claims.
    Because my GF is a licensed insurance producer, I've heard of Llyod's of London MANY times over the years. There sole purpose is to insure the uninsurable. Not surprising (like most ins companies) they don't like to hold up their end of the bargain when the time comes.

Which insurance works?

As a former insurance claims person, I am a strong believer in Murphy's Law. I also adhere to the insurance version of Murphy, which says, "If we can deny it, we will." It is my understanding that the liability portion of a homeowner's policy covers you for accidental or unintentional acts that might take place where you are involved. A self-defense shooting is defined as an intentional act, and under most liability situations, could be denied. And that coverage may or may not follow you away from your property. Verbal reassurance from your local agent may or may not be considered binding. That's why I need a definitive answer regarding whether or not I'm covered under my homeowners policy, or if I need to purchase additional shooter's liability insurance.

In Texas we have groups offering shooter's liability, and the reports are varied on their reliability and truthfulness. I hear about umbrella policies and others, but the "accidental" versus "intentional" act continues to be a recurring question.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." ~ Thomas Jefferson

I'd be interested in taking a look, if and when you bring it to PA.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links