Draw/rig - considerations.

This is a discussion on Draw/rig - considerations. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since a good shooting session last Friday with caseydog - a very occasional member here - I got to thinking about some factors which affect ...

Assistant Administrator

Since a good shooting session last Friday with caseydog - a very occasional member here - I got to thinking about some factors which affect draw time and fluidity.

When at the latter stage of our drills we used the timer - it turned out that his carry rig, an OWB O'Rourke was slowing him down. If he changed to his ''range''/IDPA kydex, he was way faster.

Now the O'Rourke is a fine rig - nicely made but ........... it has IMO too much leather up high under grips and so - as the hand goes for the hold - it fumbles slightly. I was nudging 1 second on draw and shoot from retention (OK hardly super quick!) - Ray was up around 1.8 with this rig doing same - and I kept hearing the leather sound as he drew which is what got me interested. So we analyzed it.

Many know I carry OWB - I consider myself lucky in that respect and, while my K&D Defender holds gun super tight to body - my fwd bend with sidebending rotation left on draw, frees up enough space under the grips to enable quick aquisition.

This got me to also thinking about similar problems from very tight holding IWB's - I get the feeling that you MUST be able to get that grip aquired easily and fast - but if gun super tight to body to excess, then this is surely gonna slow that good fast grip aquisition.

So - IWB folks and those with a lot of leather ''backing'' behind grips - how do you find this grip aquisition? I am more and more thinking that a gun way too tight to body in IWB in particular, is gonna be slower to draw. Right? Or wrong?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I trim my kydex rigs so there is room for knuckles to fit easily below the grip while holstered. Also my thumb helps pull the grip outward during the draw. No times , as I have never shot against a timer, will have to try it though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Timed stuff Rocky can be over played sometimes but - it sure does tell some tales tho!

Ray got (forget make) one of the timers same as we use at club for IDPA - very handy as it will when you scroll back give splits - they cost about $120 IIRC. I find it useful more for judging consistency than actual super fast times only - if a drill, like draw, one from retention and two from two handed (for example) it is real useful to relate those times to the target hits.

I can imagine your Kydex rigs work real well.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Most of my rigs are very close to my body, which I like b/c it is easy to conceal and the weapon does not move around. I have practiced my draw and I lean away from my holster (ie slightly to the left for a strong side right handed holster) so that I create some more room for my hand to wrap around the gun. The little bit of extra room also makes it so that I don't grab a handful of t-shirt during my draw. My rig does have a sweat shield or body protector, but I have not found that my fingers touch it during my draw.

Lead Moderator
    Now than dingle mentions it, i guess I do naturally bring my strong side shoulder up and lean slightly during a draw stroke.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use a Blade-tech OWB holster. It has enough offset that I do not have to lean at all in order to secure a solid grip on my weapon. I am consistently getting hits at 10 yards in ~1.20 seconds from concealment. On the rare occasions I carry IWB, draw times are ~1.30 from concealment.

The Blade-tech is slightly more difficult to conceal than an IWB holster but not overwhelmingly so.

fm2
    I value the ability to get a combat grip on the pistol, while in the holster, very highly. If your knuckles hit the holster on your drawstroke, that's a possible fouled draw/dropped/re-gripped gun. I am looking for a robust & consistant drawstroke. I drive the web of my hand high into the tang and flag my thumb on the #1 of the drawstroke. The flagged thumb creates the space so I don't have to bend sideways.

I am also a very firm believer in shooting in your carry gear as much as possible. You give up a good chance to test your gear as well as yourself under a little stress.

Links