Can't carry @ work, do you store your gun in car all day?

This is a discussion on Can't carry @ work, do you store your gun in car all day? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Being retired military I visit the local base often so I'm unarmed a lot. It sucks but that's just one of the perks I could ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Can't carry @ work, do you store your gun in car all day?

VIP Member
    Being retired military I visit the local base often so I'm unarmed a lot. It sucks but that's just one of the perks I could do without.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I leave my gun in my car everyday. Luckily Florida has a law that says employers are not allowed to prohibit us from keeping weapons in our vehicles while on company property. Ever they were to ever find out(which they shouldn't) there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    You need to as yourself:
    Why do I carry?
    If it is to protect your life.
    Ask yourself what is more important, your life or your job?
    Then decide what to do.
    A. Obey the rules of work.
    B. Disobey the rules and hope you do not get caught.
    C. Look for a different job.
    Well I'm pretty sure over 90% of job out there you can't carry at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    We can't carry at work but I always have some kind of suitable defence handgun in my SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    You need to as yourself:
    Why do I carry?
    If it is to protect your life.
    Ask yourself what is more important, your life or your job?
    Then decide what to do.
    A. Obey the rules of work.
    B. Disobey the rules and hope you do not get caught.
    C. Look for a different job.
    Ahh - back to this canard....

This is what is known as a false choice argument. Wiki it if you need to.

I cannot carry at work, either. I leave it locked in my vehicle while in my office. The likelihood of me needing a firearm to defend myself in an office where you need a security fob to enter is so minuscule compared to the likelihood I would be found out and lose my job. These odds are not identical. Also, carrying a firearm in no way guarantees you will not be killed by a violent assault. Your argument assumes: the odds of being killed at work are the same as being found out and being fired. Your argument also assumes having a gun on your person means you won't get killed. Neither assumption is correct.

My job pays very well, and through my employer I carry $1.4 million in life insurance. Sure, I could make bird houses in my garage (while armed to the teeth) and sell them through a hole in my home security door in order to "protect my life." Or I could enjoy my life and realize there are many other times I cannot carry - specifically when I travel outside the country and when I need to be in the office.

If I am killed at work (or even outside of work), my wife will receive a nice payday, and I am happy I can then take care of her for the rest of her life.

Even though my company doesn't have a no firearms policy, I still lock my gun in my vehicle every morning. In fact, I lock it up before I leave my driveway so I don't have to worry about people watching me. We have a few anti's at the office, and I don't want the company to decide that they need to add a no firearms policy in case I do decide to carry at work. If I plan on stopping anywhere before heading home after work, I quickly holster up in my car before heading out (#1 reason why I love Remora holsters). This doesn't mean that I am "un-armed" all day and without any sort of defensive tools. My bag has lots of nifty pockets where I am able to store my pepper spray and flashlight.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since I am in the Navy and stationed on a ship that's homeported at the Naval Base, I can't even have a gun on me and even in my car. It's not allowed on govt. property and military bases. My guns stay at home and all I can carry are a tactical folding knife of considerable blade length and tactical flashlight.

VIP Member
    JD nailed it perfectly.

I work for the railroad and I'm the same way no guns at work or on property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    I'm a trucker, and probably 75% of all shippers and receivers have signs up proclaiming "no firearms".

My workplace does not allow any firearm of any type on the property period(outside of a knife used for work puposes), so I cant carry at work, nor can I have one in my car in the parking lot...Sucks,but its a job..

I can't carry at work and I only have a 5 minute drive. I carry back and forth and lock it in a safe in my truck during the day. You never know where you may be going after work.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Another reason to carry to work, even if it is a short commute, is that you want to have that weapon available to you when you are arriving home. What would you do if there were a B&E in progress and they ran out the front door as soon as you were pulling in (or any such similar situation).
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I can't carry at work either, but I do leave it in my locked car per State law. One hour drive, anything can happen going to and from work so I feel the need to have protection.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Another reason to carry to work, even if it is a short commute, is that you want to have that weapon available to you when you are arriving home. What would you do if there were a B&E in progress and they ran out the front door as soon as you were pulling in (or any such similar situation).
    They are leaving my house? I would do absolutely nothing except back out, call 911, and provide as much detail as possible.
    My stuff is insured, my life is irreplaceable, and as long as there was no imminent threat to family or friends, I really dont want to spend the next several weeks if not years defending myself in court. Its a robbery, not a kidnapping or life threatening situation.
    MadMac, DirkD and bowserb like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links