question for the TX people

This is a discussion on question for the TX people within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in TX for the next few days and I have noticed these signs in a couple of bar/restaurants I visited today. the sign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: question for the TX people

I am in TX for the next few days and I have noticed these signs in a couple of bar/restaurants I visited today.
    the sign says that there is a $10k fine for the unlicensed carrying of guns on the premises. So am I correct in assuming that since I am licensed to carry a concealed weapon those signs don't apply to me and I can carry in places that post that sign. I know about the 30.06 signs and the TABC 51% signs, I've never noticed these signs in my past visits. Please advise, thanks

Only legal signs are 30.06 and 51%,the other ones hold no weight for licensed carriers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You are correct in your assumption.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

You are correct. You will notice these signs posted on a window at the entrance of most retail outlets such as convenience stores, malls, and such. It is more a deterent factor by the property owner considering that the statute exists any public area that is not prohibited by 30.06 or TABC. If you were just walking down a sidewalk with an unlicensed weapon you could be cited or arrested on this code. If I remember correctly the sign mentions the $10k fine and imprisonment up to 5 years.

The biggest annoyance here in Texas for us CHLers is the chain restaraunts that post "no weapons" signs at their door. There are no legal ramifications, they can just throw you out if they see it. When I see one, I will usually make a point to ask the manager if he knows how much business he is losing because of that sign as their are some active groups that boycott these restaraunts as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    You are correct. You will notice these signs posted on a window at the entrance of most retail outlets such as convenience stores, malls, and such. It is more a deterent factor by the property owner considering that the statute exists any public area that is not prohibited by 30.06 or TABC. If you were just walking down a sidewalk with an unlicensed weapon you could be cited or arrested on this code. If I remember correctly the sign mentions the $10k fine and imprisonment up to 5 years.

The biggest annoyance here in Texas for us CHLers is the chain restaraunts that post "no weapons" signs at their door. There are no legal ramifications, they can just throw you out if they see it. When I see one, I will usually make a point to ask the manager if he knows how much business he is losing because of that sign as their are some active groups that boycott these restaraunts as a result.
    The primary reason for the "unlicensed possession" signs where alcohol is sold is that it notifies unlicensed carriers that what is normally a misdemeanor becomes a felony if alcohol is sold there.
    Hopyard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    The primary reason for the "unlicensed possession" signs where alcohol is sold is that it notifies unlicensed carriers that what is normally a misdemeanor becomes a felony if alcohol is sold there.
    Bingo, we have a winner.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post

Why is it an annoyance? If your gun is properly concealed, noone will ever see it and you won't be asked to leave. You simply go in and eat your meal just like normal folks would.

As far as the signs being posted or affecting folks walking down the road, I fail to see the connection. These signs are only posted where alcohol is sold for on premises consumption and less than 50% of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol. Here is a link for FAQ on places that sell alcohol. TABC General Questions
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Bingo, we have a winner.
    Ooooh, what did I win? :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxMM View Post
    Ooooh, what did I win? :)

Hmmm, how about a big attaboy.

Yea, pretty crappy prize but its a bad economy right now.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Hmmm, how about a big attaboy.

Yea, pretty crappy prize but its a bad economy right now.
    Could have been worse. Could have been a bus ticket to Oklahoma!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Good point. I'll take the attaboy. It will spend just as well as any other prize I have won lately.

thanks guys, now for my next TX issue, I got nailed for a speeding ticket, are there any outs?
    I was pulled over, informed the cop I was armed, he didn't seem to care too much, just said show me your carry permit which I did, and then he gave me my speeding ticket

I don't know if it works for non residents but my wife got to pay $75 or something like that and watch a video on line and take a test. To make sure you watch the video they ask you questions like "What color shirt was Bob wearing?" She then printed her certificate and sent it in to the J.P. office. No points on the license.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Your only out...

Gun's are cool, it's great you have a CHL.

Also...Don't Speed In Texas.
    My wife and children are on these roads.
    Hope you got where you wanted to go in time to do what you needed to do.
    Also, I hope you learn a lesson when it comes time to pay your fine.
    Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Be safe and slow down. =)

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    My Kansas Permit is good in Texas, allthough I am not planning a vist to Texas any time soon one never knows.

So here's my question: What is ment by 30.06 & TABC 51%?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links