The weight trade-off

The weight trade-off

This is a discussion on The weight trade-off within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know (and respect) the decision many folks make to carry not only smaller guns but very light ones also. I confess to being fortunate ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The weight trade-off

Assistant Administrator

The weight trade-off

I know (and respect) the decision many folks make to carry not only smaller guns but very light ones also.

I confess to being fortunate with carry options and so concealment is no biggie - and so I carry large and heavy. It is I admit not as comfortable as something lighter and smaller but - it does give me two plusses - capacity and - control. With the latter - I have (in the 226) a solid very controllable 9mm platform, where recoil is almost a non-event.

I do tho wonder about the control aspect in particular - let's take the popular 642 as a good example - even tho it is eminently concealable - pocket often - does this really give for most owners the control they'd really like?

So - if you carry lightweight - is this pure necessity from carry/concealment POV or - is it because you simply like light?

Those who favor large and heavy chip in too - I am just curious as to rationales.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    It's full sized pistols for me. I have very large mits and smaller grips just don't fit me well. I can shoot them but just don't feel comfortable doing it. So it is a matter of comfort while shooting more than while carrying. For me that is most important.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    I don't need a super light gun to carry. I can get used to most of my carry gun. Most important to me is accuracy & concealability.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I chose the Kimber Ultra CDP because of size and easy concealable for a .45, the weight is 25 ounces, not sure if that is light or not!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I can carry my USPc without any trouble. I have 12 rds. of .40 S&W and the weapon is easy for me to control and I can carry all day comfortably. I don't see any reason to "go light."

VIP Member
    I carry full size but after all the good talk about the Bersa Thunder, I'm really thinking about buying and try carrying one. I really like full size but with my body shape and the weight of the weapon, I get tired of yanking up on my belt. In winter there is no problem since I wear a shoulder holster.

If you can find one, the Colt Defender has an aluminum frame which makes it light yet you can still have the punch of a .40 or .45
    Ray

كافر, and proud of it

European American, and proud of it

Member of the NRA, and proud of it

Be courteous, be polite, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

95, I love my .45 but the 637 is just so easy to carry. Now, I have considered going to a medium size gun. I came to the conclusion that if I practice enough that I will do fine with the .38. And it is so concealable. I have worked on my car with it on and even gone on long shopping trips with the wife. It also provides the opportunity to get up close and person without the risk of jamming if the situation occurs. Secondly, it is much less pistol to grab than the .45. The snub nose is just so simple.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Not me, concealment is priority...

I am on the other side of the spectrum. I carry a 340pd, wooden handled, 12oz. Its loaded with Gold Dot, 158gr .357's. OUCH!! It really hurts to shoot. I try to hit the range monthly, shooting 15 rounds. My target is at 10 feet (sorry my original post said to yards - I wish I could shoot that thing that good at 30feet). I set my target, and pretty much go at it from IWB holster, reload as fast as I can with my speed loaders. Results are very good. My first five rounds I usually have a nice grouping, about 3-4 inches. Next 2 speed loaders usually scatter to about the size of a paper plate. After 15 rounds my hand and arm have had enough. Slight swelling in the palm, and my grip is weak for about a day. The gun, is cleaned after shooting as well if it gets wet, which is frequent. Why would I put my self through this? Simple, the gun is always with me and no one but my wife knows. I have a lot of friends and family visit all summer, horseshoes, cookouts, water skiing etc, and I am always armed. I have a holster planted under the helm of the boat while I am wakeboarding. . When not in buisness clothing, I am in shorts, and my smartcarry is completly un-noticed. While going out, either a pocket holster or IWB is used. While staying in hotel for buisness, my smart carry is on while in bed. I have many other "heavy" guns, but by far, this is the one that will most likely save my life...
    Last edited by RjVA; August 9th, 2006 at 01:21 PM.
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I find more and more that I want the impossible. Power,lightweight,low recoil(for double and triple taps),small print for ease of concealment,etc. No one can have all the above. But we do try.

Soooooo, I say,sit down with a piece of paper with the things written down that you want in a CCW. Also with a table full of all the catalogs from all the gun makers and see what is offered. Also you should (kinda) decide what level of performance you want from the different ammo in the different calibers. You should make the decission as to (pretty much always) shoot one,two,or three. When this decission is made,you should ALWAYS train this way. In a real life shoot this could quickly change as per the BG's available to be shot. I say.....power of the ammo to be used should be a factor in the caliber and type of weapon decided upon.

Don't overlook the small,fairly high cap Taurus'. For you fans or needers of the .380,they even make a (fairly) high cap(12+1) one of those, weighing only 18.7oz. Or a 12+1,9mm,that weights 18.7 oz. These are smaller,lighter,and far less costly than a G19.(I know I know,,but at least take a look.)

I never owned one of these little pistols but have shot some of them and I would say that they shoot great. Crude,fixed sights and all.

For me it's a Kimber Ultra CDP II. I like the size,weight,caliber,concealability,finish,capacity (7+1),sights,reliability,(yeah,I know the 3" bbl and all),and the mechanics of the 1911 platform.

Controlability>>? Very,with the NON+P origional Black Talon.

Oh,and also,contrary to popular beliefs,a NON+P rd could actually kill a BG.---------

Upon retiring from LE I was no longer bound by regualations on what I could carry. I began to look for the smallest/lightest gun that was shootable. I have had to carry heavy/hicap guns and have shot the ultra lights guns. My requirements were min cal 9mm/38 and the gun had to feel right in my hand. This gun is to used for my personal protection so I didn't feel the need for hi-cap. I selected three guns after looking at and firing several.
    1-Glock 36, 2-Kahr PM9, 3-S&W 640
    I carry the PM-9 with 7 rds of 124GD, the pistol is reliable,accurate, shootable (to the degree I want) and concealable.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    With my abused back its weight that is an issue not size . I settled on the Khar P series for this reason , they are light enough , shootable enough , and powerfull enough to meet my needs . the nice small /thin "footprint" of them is a bonus too lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I started out carrying a Charter Arms undercover .38. I loved it very light small and easy to conceal. But It is back at the factory for the 2nd time. Broken transfer bar this time. When comes back I'm going to sell it. (2 trips to the factory is 1 to many for a SD gun)

I have a full size Colt 1991A1, a RIA Officers Model 1911 (both all steel), and a Ruger P89 I'm switching back and forth between these 3 right now. The size and the weight of the OM is not bad and it shoots a .45. I have pretty good holsters for all on them.

The smallest one I carry right now is a medium size steel auto. And I'm pretty happy with it. I have no desire to get another revolver at this time. It can be uncomfortable sometimes. But at least I know it will go bang. When funds allow I would like to get the CZ RAMI in 9mm. (I like SA autos )

Assistant Administrator
    Quite a spread of thinking - good to hear folk's methodology.

Ben - you mentioned the Bersa .380 - I in a sense call that ''full size'' but meaning full size for cal. There is a sorta scaling between cals and tho the gun is smaller than what we might call full size as a generalization, it is IMO a gun nicely fitting that .380 niche - enough weight to make it a good shooter for me anyways.

My problems come with the super lightweights - like scandiums!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I look for concealability first and choose my platform from there. After all we must conceal the firearm and I am not in the position to wear cover garments like P95's vest or something like that. I own my own business and 90% of my day I'm with customers, on several jobsites, walk through's and many of the buidlings are posted NO CARRY! Do I anyway? why yes I do!

So I have to make sure my firarm is concealed at all times. I choose the Kimber Ultra CDP, it's light weight, has an officer's frame and is accurate for me atleast to 10 yards, after that it still is but with spread. I even put the slime grips on it for better concealment (width) and no one has ever said a thing about seeing it or noticing it on me. Even people who know I carry can't tell.

Away from work, I am carrying (usually) my Colt Commander! concealment is still good but offers more printing than the Ultra. Many know that I am having difficulty finding a BUG I want to carry so the Ultra is the smallest I go and will go for primary.

FWIW, I also think that the Kimber Compact CDP or any compact officers style (4" Bbl) would be fine as well to carry and would conceal just as well even, but I came across an Ultra first so that's what I have.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links