Search Dog and Weapons Question

This is a discussion on Search Dog and Weapons Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally posted by KC135 JT, my comment was not aimed at you Ok Originally posted by KC135 some who have complained in the media about ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Search Dog and Weapons Question

JT [OP]
    Originally posted by KC135
    JT, my comment was not aimed at you
    Ok
    Originally posted by KC135
    some who have complained in the media about losing their jobs because they chose to carry in opposition to their company\'s rules.
    I agree that they should accept the consequences of their actions.

On the other hand, I have no problem with them going to the media with their story, and thereby alerting the gun-owning public (as well as the population at large) of this company’s policies and possibly bringing about change.

2. Remove Ads

Another View from the New Guy

Originally posted by Betty
    My late grandfather trained bloodhounds and worked with the police, and one of his friends had a little yippy dog that sniffed out guns. That guy used a tennis ball laced with gun oil to train the dog. That little dog was used to find guns tossed by crooks, etc.

You really can\'t fool a well-trained dog\'s nose. Grandpa used his family members as bloodhound bait, so I can tell you firsthand that dog noses are incredibly acute!

Maybe I\'ve watched too many COPS episodes :D but I\'m under the impression that when they open the door to your vehicle, the dog jumps in and sniffs out the interior. You might have a decoy, but the dog will most likely find whatever else is there.

I\'m with Bumper that my life is worth more than my job. I can always find another job.
    I will agreed with this young lady 100%-- I have 3 German Shorthair Pointers, and can tell you for sure they have the best nose after a Bloodhound. I do not wish to stray from the question, as the answer lies in the dogs training. A good pup can be trained to find just about ANYTHING--if it is done right. My first dog, on her first time out, found a Dove that had been in the water of a pond overflow for TWO hours.:o Yes, 14 years later, I am still proud of her. :) What needs to happen with some of these companies, is for them to be held responsible for their workers that they have in fact disarmed. All else said here is true- you know the rules, and you can choose to look elsewhere for another job-- The point here is-- you should not have to. If you do follow their rules, and become a victim, then they need to be held accountable. It is really just that simple. :)

JT [OP]
    Thanks for the dog info.

My instructor from my first CHL class also trained dogs for this type of work. He claimed that one of his dogs could sniff out a small container of cocaine suspended in a gas tank. Amazing stuff. He also said anything you use to mask the smell will not work. Things like Cheyenne Pepper just (a) attract the dogs attention because they smell something that is not suppose to be there and (b) piss them off because they just got a nose full of the stuff.

Unfortunately he didn’t get into the ins and outs of them searching for guns and I didn’t think to ask at the time.

Originally posted by Tusker10MM
    you know the rules, and you can choose to look elsewhere for another job-- The point here is-- you should not have to. If you do follow their rules, and become a victim, then they need to be held accountable. It is really just that simple. :)
    The other problem is it is not that simple to just find another job. How are you going to know they are “carry friendly” before you go to work there? Ask them in the interview? Good luck with that.

u sure can fool an unspayed MALE dog.

all it takes is a bit of the urine from a ***** in heat. :-) It aint THAT hard to make a gun \"unfindable\" by the MAN who is trying to followup on the dog\'s \"alert\", either. For instance, they dont have the right to CUT open parts of your car. Enough said. With all the different gun oils around, you can leave the rags, etc, laying around, create enough \"false-alerts\" to make them not want to risk getting sued over cutting up your car. What I\'d do is find someplace nearby to stash a gun, and either just leave it there, or pick it up and drop it off every day. Might even hide one AT work, that I bought with no \"papers\".

JT [OP]
    Originally posted by meme
    For instance, they dont have the right to CUT open parts of your car. Enough said.
    They don’t have a right to do a lot of things. You also don’t have a “right” to a job there. That’s the key. They are not held to the standards of legal evidence (or held to laws on where firearms are legal for that matter), when it comes to whether or not you get to keep your job.

Oklahoma is one of the few places where the law is attempting to actually tell the employers they have to let you carry in your car.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,138512,00.html

JT [OP]
    What I\'d do is find someplace nearby to stash a gun, and either just leave it there, or pick it up and drop it off every day. Might even hide one AT work, that I bought with no \"papers\".
    Part of my responsibility as a gun owner is taking reasonable caution to make sure a firearm of mine does not fall into the wrong hands (criminal, minor, etc). Stashing it somewhere in and around work does not sound like a properly secured weapon in my book. Unless you are talking about renting a place to lock it up near by or locking it up in your own desk.

I’d carry it on me around the office and risk detection and loss of my job before I would be irresponsible in storing my weapon.

There\'s stashes that will never be found,

or anyway, not without such a commotion that you\'d see the discovery coming, in time to deal with it. I\'d just pocket a flat, single stack auto, like the Kahr PM9 9mm, or a Star, Colt, or Keltec 380

If you are, who I am 99% sure you are, meme, if you get caught with a firearm, you go BACK to prison. Again.
    I carry to and from work, and we lock them in secure lockboxes provided by the Dept - they get wiggy about weapons inside the walls of a prison....but I am under the eye of several armed officers, some with AR15s and M4s, so I don\'t feel too naked.....

VIP Member
    If you are, who I am 99% sure you are, meme
    He\'s gotta be the one and only.

One of the few I\'d like to meet professionally.....

DC Founder
    Originally posted by JT
    What I\'d do is find someplace nearby to stash a gun, and either just leave it there, or pick it up and drop it off every day. Might even hide one AT work, that I bought with no \"papers\".
    Part of my responsibility as a gun owner is taking reasonable caution to make sure a firearm of mine does not fall into the wrong hands (criminal, minor, etc). Stashing it somewhere in and around work does not sound like a properly secured weapon in my book. Unless you are talking about renting a place to lock it up near by or locking it up in your own desk.

I’d carry it on me around the office and risk detection and loss of my job before I would be irresponsible in storing my weapon.
    Absolutely. If I am carrying when I am out, it is either on me or securely locked up. To do otherwise would be foolish and if found, make me responsible for anything that happened with it.

meme, do you have a CCW? Your mindset seems to be running contrary to the laws that, at least in most states, CCW holders are expected to adgere to if they are to keep their permit. Or are you carrying concealed without a permit?

DC Founder
    Not sure who they think you are meme, but if you are, it doesn\'t sound like your future is too bright....

Ridgerunner
    Originally posted by Bumper
    Not sure who they think you are meme, but if you are, it doesn\'t sound like your future is too bright....
    He goes by the name of Gunkid on some forums, other names on other forums. He is a well documented flamer, excon and general troublemaker. The consensus is that he likes to take cracks at LEOs any chance he gets because they are the one that put him behind bars. I am sure he doesn\'t have a CCW if he has been in jail.

About Gunkid - Explosives And Weapons Forum

About Gunkid - Survival Forum

About Gunkid - Survival.com

About Gunkid - WarriorTalk

About Gunkid - Project Exodus

About Gunkid - GlockTalk

About Gunkid - AssaultWeb

About Gunkid - ServiceRifles.com

About Gunkid - Perfect Union

I don\'t think he has a life. He\'s just a negative troll that comes in to flame everyone and rarely make any sense. Let\'s vote on how long before he gets kicked :P

Can\'t go yet - he hasn\'t boasted about the assault wheelbarrow with the 22 CAR15 and 356TSW Star BM!:D
    Seriously, this guy is bad news.

awwww, do we really have to flame this guy? This forum was so peaceful up until now :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links