Search Dog and Weapons Question

This is a discussion on Search Dog and Weapons Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NOTE : This question does not involve breaking any laws. It has to do with company policy. This question is for anyone with any knowledge ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Search Dog and Weapons Question

JT [OP]

Search Dog and Weapons Question

NOTE : This question does not involve breaking any laws. It has to do with company policy.

This question is for anyone with any knowledge about search dogs and what the can and cannot detect, when it comes to weapons.

Hypothetical Scenario: Say a person lives in the state of Texas and has a CHL. They work for a major corporation that has a no weapons policy that includes the parking lot. In Texas the law generally does not include the parking lot as part of the property for no carry laws. \"Premises” does not include “any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.” Of course company policy is a different matter. Being a “right to work” state you do not have any leg to stand on if you are fired for having a legally carried weapon in your vehicle even though “premises” does not include the parking lot.

My question has to do with search dogs. Say this employee wanted to legally keep a handgun in their vehicle for protection, even though it violates company policy for employees. Of course they also don’t want to lose their job. If the company did a random walk through the parking lot with dogs (for example to search for drugs), what would it take for the dog to detect a weapon? Is it the ammo that they can smell? If it was a cleaned weapon, but the magazine with the ammo was not in the vehicle, would the dogs detect it?

2. Remove Ads

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I have worked on cases involving drug dogs and explosives dogs, but I\'ve never heard of \"gun dogs.\" In my experience, drug dogs and explosives dogs are not cross-trained.

From an economic standpoint, I find it difficult to imagine that a corporation would spend the money it takes to hire explosives sniffing dogs (which are sort of in high demand right now) to run through its parking lot just to try to mess with employees.

I suspect that liability concerns are what is at the bottom of their policy. By having the policy, they feel they are now in the clear. I don\'t see how the corporation\'s bottom line would be improved by renting dogs and going after employees.

I know this didn\'t answer your question, but I think - hypothetically - it would be unlikely for a corporation to look for weapons with dogs.

JT [OP]
    I’m not sure how much cross training dogs get either, but I heard about some employees of a company in Oklahoma that got fired when drug sniffing dogs detected guns in their vehicles. I think I remember some other similar cases.

I don’t know how many companies would bring in dogs to sniff for weapons but I do know some companies do it for drugs.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Hmm. Well, that\'s odd. I wonder why LE isn\'t using the cross-trained dogs in my jurisdiction.

Dog sniffs are pretty unreliable anyway, but on private property anything goes.

JT [OP]
    So back to the original question. If a company uses dogs that are trained to sniff explosives/weapons, what about a firearm sets them off? If it is a clean gun, and the ammo is not in the vehicle, will they still be able to detect something?

gun dogs

I would pick up the brass at the range and put it in a bag in the floor if they find it it\'s used brass no problem.

keep\'em guessing.

JT [OP]
    The problem is if they demand a full search of the vehicle. Refusal could mean dismissal from employment if you are an employee and have agreed to follow written company policies as a condition of employment.

DC Founder
    I agree with dmag. I would do something that would possibly \"satisfy\" them should a dog detect something in my car. I would probably do something that would really catch their attention, surprise them and give them something to talk about so maybe they would decide not to search the rest of the car. What initially pops into my mind is one of those brass starter cannons they use to start races. Some of them use 12 gauge blanks. Lots of powder, but harmless, logical and interesting enough to be able to turn a line of questioning elsewhere.

Ultimately you will have to decide if carrying is worth the risk of losing your job. If it\'s not, don\'t carry to work. If it is, roll the dice and take what you get. I work for the government, in a building that clearly states that no weapons are allowed anywhere on the property (including the parking garage). I carry my Benchmade in my pocket every day and one of my carry guns, an ASP baton and pepper spray in my vehicle. If they ever make a sweep of the garage I will probably be without a job. But I won\'t be alone. We have about 5 people (that I know of) that carry in their car.

Losing my job is a risk that I find acceptable. The high crime ares I drive through to get to work justify the risk to me.

guns at work

Bumper you are right carred for two years two weeks ago the wrong person saw it the next day I was out. But thats ok start the new job next week at 2.25 more per hour than the old one.
    As for the dogs once they find the used brass they are done so if they search your car it will be by eye and if it is up under the dash they want find it.

We hope, but the next job might pay more

VIP Member
    My late grandfather trained bloodhounds and worked with the police, and one of his friends had a little yippy dog that sniffed out guns. That guy used a tennis ball laced with gun oil to train the dog. That little dog was used to find guns tossed by crooks, etc.

You really can\'t fool a well-trained dog\'s nose. Grandpa used his family members as bloodhound bait, so I can tell you firsthand that dog noses are incredibly acute!

Maybe I\'ve watched too many COPS episodes :D but I\'m under the impression that when they open the door to your vehicle, the dog jumps in and sniffs out the interior. You might have a decoy, but the dog will most likely find whatever else is there.

I\'m with Bumper that my life is worth more than my job. I can always find another job.

JT [OP]
    Thanks for the input. That’s what I wanted to know. If they dogs would be alerted by things like gun oil and/or cleaner and powder residue on the gun, or if it is only the powder in the ammo.

As for deciding what’s more important, carrying or a job, I think the fact that I’m asking the question should indicate were my priorities are. I trying to find the best solution to stay safe, but also keep a good job.

Choices

Life is all about choices.

We just have to accept responsibility for them, and not complain when one goes sour.

I learned a long time ago, if it is not in writing, I will not ask.

My vehicle has two or three bottles of Break Free, a cleaning kit, etc.

JT [OP]
    Originally posted by KC135
    We just have to accept responsibility for them, and not complain when one goes sour.
    I’m not sure if you were implying something, but I assure you that I always take responsibility for my actions. There was also no complaining anywhere in my posts. I was just getting as much information as possible.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by JT
    Originally posted by KC135
    I’m not sure if you were implying something, but I assure you that I always take responsibility for my actions. There was also no complaining anywhere in my posts. I was just getting as much information as possible.
    I was confused by that, as well.

JT

JT, my comment was not aimed at you, (if it had been, I would have said so) rather at some who have complained in the media about losing their jobs because they chose to carry in opposition to their company\'s rules.

They knew the rules, and chose to ignore them.

Choice should equal responsibility, but in our world today, often it does not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links