Bank Question

Bank Question

This is a discussion on Bank Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, So I had a question. I understand the laws around not carrying in banks and so forth. It is pretty easy to just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Bank Question

Bank Question

Hey all,
    So I had a question. I understand the laws around not carrying in banks and so forth. It is pretty easy to just go through the drive-thru than it is to go into the lobby. My question is, what about the banks that are located in grocery stores? Am I allowed to carry at the grocery stores that have banks in them? Or is it that I just can't go up to the bank counter? Or am I fine doing bank business while carrying at those branches?

Thanks for the answers everyone.
    -Nick.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    Hey all,
    So I had a question. I understand the laws around not carrying in banks and so forth. It is pretty easy to just go through the drive-thru than it is to go into the lobby. My question is, what about the banks that are located in grocery stores? Am I allowed to carry at the grocery stores that have banks in them? Or is it that I just can't go up to the bank counter? Or am I fine doing bank business while carrying at those branches? Thanks for the answers everyone. -Nick.
    I'm unaware of any states that forbid legal carry in Banks.

Other than banks on Federal Property Banks are simply private property.
    The owners can allow or forbid weapons as they see fit.

If the Bank has signs saying no carry then you may risk a Trespassing charge if you ignore them.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

You'd be arguing you where in the gorcery store....think that would work ??..nope ??...confident in you CC ? be willing to handle the heat...banks,public buildings,bars what/ever you will lose your licence maybe your liberty...at work... maybe lose your job..I dont worry about it much, Im confident, and gray hair distingushed..and familiar on my local turf...and know it is better to beg forgiveness that ask for permission...and I know I would be on the wrong side of the argument if the bank clerk got spun up over my conceal weapon in her bank...in my gorcery store, different outcome dont you think ?? goodluck

Washington state prohibits carry in banks, public buildings, bars

VIP Member
    Carry seems to be prohibited in financial institutions in NE, however as long as you don't go to the banking facility in a store you should be good. To try and restrict a business because they have a bank branch in their building would be dumb, in my opinion. What next, you can't use a bank ATM while carrying? However IANAL so take my input for what it is worth. Your best bet would be to consult a lawyer there for clarification. Perhaps contact your state congressman or senator and have them ask for an Attorney General reading on it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    I'm unaware of any states that forbid legal carry in Banks.Other than banks on Federal Property Banks are simply private property.
    The owners can allow or forbid weapons as they see fit.

If the Bank has signs saying no carry then you may risk a Trespassing charge if you ignore them.
    Check Handgunlaw.us there are several states that restrict carry in financial institutions. NE is one, NC is another.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Delaware does not restrict cc in banks.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Check Handgunlaw.us there are several states that restrict carry in financial institutions. NE is one, NC is another.
    I can proudly say that will change for NC on 12-1-2011.
    Last edited by chiefjason; September 16th, 2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: there is no 21'st month
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Gotta love Florida. I've carried machine guns and suppressors into my local bank on countless occasions.... Its the only way to put them in the safe deposit box during "hurricane storage".

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post

It does? I don't recall anything about banks or public buildings. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Here... the info for Washington State...

http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=978

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    You'd be arguing you where in the gorcery store....think that would work ??..nope ??...confident in you CC ? be willing to handle the heat...banks,public buildings,bars what/ever you will lose your licence maybe your liberty...at work... maybe lose your job..I dont worry about it much, Im confident, and gray hair distingushed..and familiar on my local turf...and know it is better to beg forgiveness that ask for permission...and I know I would be on the wrong side of the argument if the bank clerk got spun up over my conceal weapon in her bank...in my gorcery store, different outcome dont you think ?? goodluck

Where in the state code does it say that you cannot CC in a bank? It does say that you cannot in a place that has a 21 age restriction, and restricted areas of police and mental health facilities

Protek your link does not work

Quote Originally Posted by protek View Post
    Here... the info for Washington State...

http://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=978
    Fixed WaGuns.org - View topic - Washington State FAQ's on Gun Carry

I agree with Ally, CaptSmith please supply a cite. My BIL lives in Auburn WA so I looked and can't find the code.

Thanks
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I carry in banks routinely. Totally appropriate here.

Kansas has few restrictions on carry anywhere, unless it's posted with an approved AG sign and location. Many Banks tried telling people it was Fedl Law, until even the newspapers told everyone what bunk that was. Now, many are finding that people were leaving their banks and taking quite a bit of funds with them if they are posted. So, it's gradually getting much better.

Our county even went out and immediately posted every building, and a recent review and a new statute, now have eliminated most of those posted.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links