CHL Numbers in Texas...

This is a discussion on CHL Numbers in Texas... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have recent numbers or know where to find them for the number of Current CHL licenses issued in Texas?? This is more curiosity as ...

Thread: CHL Numbers in Texas...

CHL Numbers in Texas...

Anyone have recent numbers or know where to find them for the number of Current CHL licenses issued in Texas?? This is more curiosity as anything. I know plenty of hardcore hunters and am continually surprised at how many of them DONT have their CHL.

Past census numbers i have found on the web (from 2004) state that less than 3% of the over 18 population have a CHL and I thought that to be REALLY Low for what I was expecting.

Is it because Texas is such a gun-friendly state (carry in vehicle, no permit long gun carry...) that people don't see the need?

Being interested, I asked my Uncle his opion as he is a gun nut and a VERY PROUD Texan, and his response was....he "didn't want the government knowing he had guns or that he may be carrying them."

I just found it interesting that as a carrier myself, only 3 out of every 100 people I run across have the RIGHT to carry, and probably even less actually do.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    TxDPS - CHL Demographic Reports for FY2010

This link will take you to the latest reports from the TX DPS on Permits Issued, Denied, etc.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Total 123,325 one year.....

301 in my zip.... Im one...

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeTX View Post
    Total 123,325 one year.....

301 in my zip.... Im one...
    I'm Mr. 77095, nice to meet you!

As of 12/31/2010.......

Active License Holders: 461,724
    Certified Instructors: 2,164

For Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    As of 12/31/2010.......

For Texas.
    Source, please??
    The gentleman that keeps up with CCW stats at CCW Statistics would like that update.

To the OP - nationally about 1.8% of the total population have permits. State to state it ranges from near 0 (Hawaii) up to a high of 7.5% for South Dakota (that's about 9.5% of age eligible population)
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by PSLOwner View Post
    As of 12/31/2010.......

For Texas.
    From the same DPS site: TxDPS - CHL Reports and Statistics
    Since there is a little over 25 million people in TX ( 2010 census), that's still only about 1.8% of the population.
    However, about 17 million are 21 and over, so that's 2.7% of the adult population.

Quote Originally Posted by TX0303 View Post
    From the same DPS site: TxDPS - CHL Reports and Statistics
    Since there is a little over 25 million people in TX ( 2010 census), that's still only about 1.8% of the population.
    However, about 17 million are 21 and over, so that's 2.7% of the adult population.
    I was trying to do the same math and came up with 1.8%. But I didn't think about the age, that is a good point. I think those numbers are very believable. Just imagine you are walking through Wal-Mart. There are potentially a few hundred people in the store, maybe more during really busy seasons. That means there are probably somewhere between 5 and 10 (legally) concealed weapons being toted around at any given time. Which is great and probably enough to insure somebody is nearby to help if there is some kind of incident.

Unfortunately, those numbers aren't high enough for smaller gatherings of people. For example, being in a Taco Bell with 20 people, there is all likelihood that nobody has a legally concealed weapon. Or in my case, since I will have a concealed weapon, I can assume I'm the only one.

The number I'd be curious to see is how many people out of the total population would even be eligible for a CHL. It is really amazing how many people have criminal records. And in Texas most anything other than a traffic citation will prevent you from getting a CHL.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

While the stats are a point of interest... I know LOTS of PCW holders who do not carry, ever... They use it as CYA when going to and from the range or hunting, but that's about it...

They just don't get it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I would be curious to know out of all the CHL holders, what percentage actually carry? I have 6 friends that have CHL and 2 of them never carry. And I am sure the percentages in the general population (e.g. not my cool friends!) is a lot less.

A shame.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I was trying to do the same math and came up with 1.8%. But I didn't think about the age, that is a good point. I think those numbers are very believable. Just imagine you are walking through Wal-Mart. There are potentially a few hundred people in the store, maybe more during really busy seasons. That means there are probably somewhere between 5 and 10 (legally) concealed weapons being toted around at any given time. Which is great and probably enough to insure somebody is nearby to help if there is some kind of incident.

Unfortunately, those numbers aren't high enough for smaller gatherings of people. For example, being in a Taco Bell with 20 people, there is all likelihood that nobody has a legally concealed weapon. Or in my case, since I will have a concealed weapon, I can assume I'm the only one.

The number I'd be curious to see is how many people out of the total population would even be eligible for a CHL. It is really amazing how many people have criminal records. And in Texas most anything other than a traffic citation will prevent you from getting a CHL.
    I have read that 1/3 of the general adult population has been to jail. That is for all reasons and doesn't necessarily mean 1/3 have been convicted of disqualifying behavior. Still, I suspect that 20% of the adult population at least will not qualify. Just guessing. The combination of convictions, family violence history, mental illness, drug use, all exclude a lot of the population when added up. A few % here and a few % there, and soon there are lots of folks who are disqualified.

Now keep in mind that very many are not interested in guns, are not interested in carrying. Others will car carry now that doing so is legal.

Now, I'm curious. In AZ or in Vermont where you have constitutional carry, does anyone know the actual % of the population which avails itself of that opportunity. That is a rhetorical question mostly just to make the point that lots and lots of people are uninterested in what we find worthwhile. Different strokes!
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

584,850 in Texas of of Dec 31st, 2012. This is the latest published number as of this writing.

TxDPS - CHL Reports & Statistics

Texas CHL License Application Demographics as of a year ending 08/2013:

That is very interesting. An increase of almost 230 thousand in one year. And that was before the reduced classroom hours. There may be close to an additional 400,000 by this time next year.

Links