The Wife's first carry expereince

This is a discussion on The Wife's first carry expereince within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so my Wife has had her CHL for a while now, but due to budget reasons we didn't get her a gun until recently. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By BadgerJ
  • 1 Post By Paco

Thread: The Wife's first carry expereince

OK, so my Wife has had her CHL for a while now, but due to budget reasons we didn't get her a gun until recently. She hasn't wanted to carry until she could have some more range time and get real comfortable with her handgun.

We finally got to where she wanted to carry. Her first trip out was to dinner at a Spring Creek BBQ joint in McKinney, for a church gathering. Talk about jumping right in to it

Let me tell you I was impressed. After helping her determine where to carry (5 O'clock) in her SuperTuck and choosing her proper cover shirt we were off. She was not the least bit nervous, didn't fidget or tug at her shirt. She carried her purse and the diaper bag, and even the 2 year old a time or two. During dinner she got up a few times to go talk to church members, Youth Pastor, etc. and looked like a natural.

And can I tell you that in my 16 years of marriage I have never had the thoughts and feeling I did the first time we were both carrying together. It was kind of a strange feeling. I knew we would always have each others back in whatever situation we were in together, but this solidified it even more.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Awesome...what is she carrying?

Great post!!!!

Wife and I work together as a team when out and about.

Two sets of SA eyes are better than one and we also have double the fire power if needed.

You and your wife will both feel much more secure and one in spirit as you protect each other and those around you from the wolfs.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Congrats. I bet thats a great feeling to feel secure like that, that someone has your back. I bet it also strengthens your relationship as well. I wish my girlfriend of 5 years and i had that kind of relationship or she even liked guns for that matter.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    And can I tell you that in my 16 years of marriage I have never had the thoughts and feeling I did the first time we were both carrying together. It was kind of a strange feeling. I knew we would always have each others back in whatever situation we were in together, but this solidified it even more.
    LOL.. the things men find romantic...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    lol Limatunes your married you should know that a man could find a ham sandwich romantic! ... LOL

Sounds like an excellent partnership!
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    That's great.

Let me take it a step further and suggest you take some training classes together. Why?

When working with a partner you have to divide up the duties, talk about scenarios, learn not to 'sweep' each other, learn the best 'on guard' position (low ready for example), learn how to exit dangerous places and not be caught standing next to each other (allowing easier targets), how to safely clear misfires and how to safely disassemble and clean your firearm, and all sorts of teamwork stuff.

You might think it's instinctive, but it's not. Learning to fight with a handgun is just as important to learn as perforating paper targets at the range (accuracy and consistency) and general handgun familiarity. My biggest fear is that in a panic we might accidentally shoot our loved one as we try to get out of the way. One method is to have one partner get behind the main shooter and put a hand on their hip. This tactile sense tells the primary where the secondary is at all times, and allows some movement, turning and 'getting off the X', in concert.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
    TVJ and CaptSmith like this.

Congrats to you and your wife..be armed and be safe.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by hobie16 View Post
    Awesome...what is she carrying?
    Walther PK380

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Well, we do have 5 kids.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    That's great.

Let me take it a step further and suggest you take some training classes together.
    I plan on it; first I am sending her and her Sister to an all day Women’s gun safety course at DFW Gun Range. More for her Sister to get comfortable (see previous thread about my Sister In-Law coming around). I also want to take some tactical classes with her, I think it would be a fun and romantic outing .
    limatunes likes this.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Congrats to you and the wife.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

To OP...sounds like you guys are a great couple! Babe with a gun...thats sexy. My bride carries a Glock 26 and is as good or better a shot than I am. We go to the range once a week and run 50 rounds apiece minimum for each carry gun. She usually runs close to 100 through her G26 and has gotten very comfortable with it.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    That's great.

Let me take it a step further and suggest you take some training classes together. Why?

When working with a partner you have to divide up the duties, talk about scenarios, learn not to 'sweep' each other, learn the best 'on guard' position (low ready for example), learn how to exit dangerous places and not be caught standing next to each other (allowing easier targets), how to safely clear misfires and how to safely disassemble and clean your firearm, and all sorts of teamwork stuff.

You might think it's instinctive, but it's not. Learning to fight with a handgun is just as important to learn as perforating paper targets at the range (accuracy and consistency) and general handgun familiarity. My biggest fear is that in a panic we might accidentally shoot our loved one as we try to get out of the way. One method is to have one partner get behind the main shooter and put a hand on their hip. This tactile sense tells the primary where the secondary is at all times, and allows some movement, turning and 'getting off the X', in concert.

Just some thoughts. Good luck!
    Do this and simple, foundational self defense FoF based on your State's Use of Force/Lethal Force law;

I suggest Amok!; Suarez
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Sponsored Links