here's ? for you

This is a discussion on here's ? for you within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my ccw. an even though I don't drive I understand what I should do if I'm riding in vehicle. my question is ...

Thread: here's ? for you

here's ? for you

I recently got my ccw. an even though I don't drive I understand what I should do if I'm riding in vehicle.
    my question is that I do allot of traveling up an down the sidewalks to an from stores
    I have a question?
    cause I don't have a plate on my wheelchair should notify Leo's immediately that I am a ccw holder an armed realizing that is the law but in my case how should I go about doing this
    I'm getting conflicting answers both from local leo an instructor so now I just want your input also

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm not sure what you are asking regarding a plate, but the requirements for notifying a LEO that you are carrying in Ohio are quite clearly spelled out.

"Traffic Stops and Other Law Enforcement Encounters
    If a person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose and if the person is carrying a concealed handgun as a CCW licensee, whether in a motor
    vehicle or not, the person shall inform the law enforcement officer that the person is carrying a concealed handgun, keep his or her hands in
    plain sight at all times and not touch the concealed handgun, unless in accordance with directions given by any law enforcement officer.
    Violating this section of law is a first degree misdemeanor, and in addition to any other penalty handed down by a court, shall result in
    the suspension of the person’s concealed handgun license for one year."

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking the method how you should notify, being in your chair.

I would slowly raise my hands, if you are able to do so, then make the notification and wait for instructions.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The ohio manual says "encounter"..so you are advising all LEOs that you interact with that you are armed, and then following directions...question is what is an "interaction"...I think I would be declaring carry status only to LEO I was interacting directly with...not kickin no sleepin dogs..."Officer I am armed"...LEOK good luck, doesnt seem that permit holders with disabilitys are given consideration...Id seek legal opinion from your local jurisdiction..or the local LEO's...and be guided by thier response..have sons in Allen and Van Wert county...

thank you captsmith an Guantes that's the answer I had came up with through talking with local leo
    I just wanted to make sure since there's no prior warning (license plate) basically its the same as if I were walking and a leo walked up to me correct?
    I know I went over this in my class but, with everything else going on that same day I must've lost my notes on it

Administrator
    A license plate has nothing to do with it. You must inform. (Notice the period at the end of that sentence)
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A license plate has nothing to do with it. You must inform. (Notice the period at the end of that sentence)
    OK
    got it just making sure I was correct in my thinking

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A passing LEO saying "Howdy" or waiting next to you in line at the doughnut shop is not an official encounter. An LEO asking specific "official" questions, directed to you, is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links