Concealed while Suit fitting

This is a discussion on Concealed while Suit fitting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was being fitted for a new suit today carrying my PT709 IWB at 3 o'clock with a clip style holster. Lots of measuring, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Concealed while Suit fitting

Concealed while Suit fitting

So I was being fitted for a new suit today carrying my PT709 IWB at 3 o'clock with a clip style holster. Lots of measuring, jackets/shirts/pants on and off, etc. and was never once made by the fitter. Creative turning and slipping it into the pants pocket while turned to one side or the other when the time came. He never appeared to detect it. One thing I really like about that little 709 is my ability to conceal it even under unusual circumstances. Not sure I could have pulled that off with anything other than a j-frame (of which I have a few of those also).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    So when you do wear the gun how will everything fit?

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    you do realize most tailors are used to fitting people while they are armed. There was a big thread about it a while back. Men's Warehouse has no problem fitting someone while they are carrying.

Senior Moderator
    GoBig stole my answer.

I'd bet you any real tailor whose been in business for more than a year has fit at least one person with a gun/around a gun.

When JD went into Men's Warehouse and started getting nervous when the tailor started feeling around and the tailor felt his gun and JD started trying to convince him it was a radio but the guy just smiled and said, "I've worked around guns before, sir."

It was kind of funny.

There was no problem at my local men's wear shop. Went in to purchase a new suit and during the fitting the tailor felt the Glock and saw the belt clips. His only question was " Is this your typical carry location ?" I just want to be sure to allow proper room on that side and make sure that the belt loops work with your holster. I love living in an enlightened state.
    SGT likes this.

Back when I bought suits, wearing a gun was not a problem being a cop. What was interesting was the tailoring. I usually wound up with a jacket two inches larger to cover my shoulder holster. The pants were what was funny. Watching that tailor create twenty-eight inch pants out of what comes with a forty-four inch coat.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    GoBig stole my answer.

I'd bet you any real tailor whose been in business for more than a year has fit at least one person with a gun/around a gun.

When JD went into Men's Warehouse and started getting nervous when the tailor started feeling around and the tailor felt his gun and JD started trying to convince him it was a radio but the guy just smiled and said, "I've worked around guns before, sir."

It was kind of funny.
    Yup...I had similar experiences at a Men's Warehouse here in VA the last time I had to get fitted for a monkey suit. Granted NoVA is like FED central so I'm guessing they're quite used to fitting around firearms.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I did accidentally carry into a chiropractor visit last week.

'Only an LCP in my back pocket, but he worked me over and never said a word about it. This is a granola-guy who would have most likely lost his tie-dyed little mind if he knew I was carrying.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yup...I had similar experiences at a Men's Warehouse here in VA the last time I had to get fitted for a monkey suit. Granted NoVA is like FED central so I'm guessing they're quite used to fitting around firearms.
    Not to mention radios and cuffs and all the rest of the carry stuff, especially for those working the protective details.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I may have to get a new suit for a friends wedding and I going to go to Mens warehouse but I think I am going to be carrying my Glock Blue gun for a fitting.

I was getting fitted for a suit and the guy taking my measurements asked what I did. I told him I was a firearms instructor and he asked if I was carrying. I told him not at the present and he asked if I had it in the car? I said yes, he sent me to get it and put it on. Then asked me how could I get properly fit without it.

He finished by saying it was like buying a custom holster without checking it with a gun. Impossible to get a good fit.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I bought suits from S&K Menswear for years before they went out of business. They always tailored around my weapon.
    In fact they're the ones that suggested braces (suspenders) to support the weight.
    Now Mens Wearhouse does the same tailoring, without raising an eyebrow.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    you do realize most tailors are used to fitting people while they are armed. There was a big thread about it a while back. Men's Warehouse has no problem fitting someone while they are carrying.
    I bring a plastic (blue) Glock in its IWB holster to fittings. My tailor has absolutely no issues; he does tailoring for the local police department's detectives, too.

No way. You guys carry blue guns? You'll feel dumb when the BG's rob the Men's Warehouse and you're standing there in the dressing room with your blue gun. Just sayin'. Tailors in Florida know all about guns. I get mag pockets sewed in the waistband at 8 and 9 o'clock and front pockets fit to my .38 in a pocket holster. That's why you drop $400 on pants/coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    No way. You guys carry blue guns? You'll feel dumb when the BG's rob the Men's Warehouse and you're standing there in the dressing room with your blue gun. Just sayin'. Tailors in Florida know all about guns. I get mag pockets sewed in the waistband at 8 and 9 o'clock and front pockets fit to my .38 in a pocket holster. That's why you drop $400 on pants/coat.
    No, Silly. I carry a real Glock too. For a fitting I bring *both* a blue plastic Glock in the holster I will be wearing plus a real Glock in a shoulder bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links