Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

This is a discussion on Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree with those who say it's more the trigger type and platform than the caliber. I used to have a 1911 in .45 and ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

I agree with those who say it's more the trigger type and platform than the caliber. I used to have a 1911 in .45 and a Kahr DAO in 9mm. I had a terrible time going back and forth between the two. They were so different that I could not shoot well with either. By illustration, I drive a stick shift and my wife's car is an automatic. I have driven both types for years, but still, when I drive her car, I have a tendency to try and push in the clutch. Muscle memory takes over unconsciously, sometimes at the worst possible moment.
    So I standardized on the 1911 platform, having a full sized and a compact size, so other than size, they are identical.
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
    - G. K. Chesterton

2. Remove Ads

I have 9mm and .380 as carry weapons. I carry the weapon in the same place all the time, so there is no confusion there. Also, I only have semi-autos as my carry guns. I debated getting a revolver, and still may, but will purchase another semi-auto as my next gun, either a Walther P22 or an M&P 22 so I can shoot more without spending more.

I've standardized on calibers across the board.

.22, 9mm, .45, .38/.357, 5.56 & 7.62

If it doesn't shoot one of those calibers, I'm not interested.....for a few reasons. Budget being one, redundancy in effectiveness and advantage being another.

In my world, everything I need out of a gun can be easily accommodated by the above calibers.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

VIP Member
    I shoot .38 spcl/.357 mag, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp, have no issues going from one to the other.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

While I have a .44 mag for hunting, a 9mm plinker for my son and the obligatory .380 pocket pistol, all of my SD/HD handguns are .45 ACP, and all can be carried in Condition One or are stiker-fired. Edit: +1 Dadoo on the importance of sticking with similar platforms.
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Carry is either 9mm or .38/.357. As mentioned by others, having other calibers for specific purposes is fine (and recommended )

.380, 9mm, .45ap
    As a novice, I am leaning towards 3 calibers. I outgrew and just traded in my Walther P22 for a SA 1911 .45(on order) for HD and for IDPA. I have 2 EDC guns, a 9mm SA XD-Sub compact and a Bodyguard .380. I have been going to the range every other week and I'm good on the 9mm. I've only shot the new Bodyguard for one session but other than getting used to the hard trigger pull, I did pretty good - a couple of bulls-eyes at 21'. We shall see if I get confused going from one to the other but I will keep training to get it right!
    9MMare likes this.
    Carpe Diem

VIP Member

Not if you shoot then all enough so you due not get surprised.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Logistics wise, of course, fun wise? Noway in hades.
    QKShooter and bmcgilvray like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I prefer to stay in the 9mm family.....9x17......9x18....and 9x19 The .380 for pure concealability, the 9mm Mak for collection purposes, and the 9mm luger for effectivness.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I am not a particularly wealthy person, so I have been thinking about standardizing to 9mm and .22 LR for range and 9mm for carry, just for economic reasons.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I support the idea of carrying the same round in the same platform for practicality. Get good with what you have. If you want other things for fun, then that's fine. Right now I have two .357's (one snub for carry and one full size) and a 12 gauge. I keep a couple bolt action rifles at my dad's house. I need a tactical rifle, so that would be my next purchase, and it would complete a self defense "package," IMO.

There are handguns chambered for 21 different cartridges around here. Standardize...naah.

Actually I mostly carry the .38 Special. Occasionally the .45 ACP or .380.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I alternate carry and ammo between 9mm and .38/.357 mag....90 percent of the time. But I also have 10mm, .41 and .44 magnum guns.....used for various purposes....I reload for all...and try to keep well stocked.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

Anything is better than nothing. If resources are very limited and you can only buy one gun it is a good idea to make sure it is light enough and small enough to carry no matter what you need to wear any day. If you can buy more than one gun it opens up all kinds of options. I agree with the posts that say variety is the spice of life. The more fun you can make it the more you are likely to carry. And things like pepper spray are a good idea even if you carry a gun. It is great to have options for different situations.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links