Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

This is a discussion on Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably a good idea, but I'm kinda a gun whore. I carry everything from .380 acp to .45 acp. I tend to carry the gun ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

Probably a good idea, but I'm kinda a gun whore.

I carry everything from .380 acp to .45 acp.

I tend to carry the gun that suits my dress, as opposed to dressing for the gun.

2. Remove Ads

.38 spl+p for the j-frame and Marlin 1894c. 9mm for the CZ P-01 and Hi Point Carbine.

Lots of each...
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

If you don't reload 1 or 2 standard calibers may be a good idea. What I have done is try to standardize on one platform, the Glock 17,19, 26, & 34 in autos ( I got a Glock 37 in .45 GAP during the ammo shortage, for some reason tons of .45 GAP was available in my area) and the N frame Smith & Wesson in revolvers. A S&W 27 in .357 and a 25-5 in .45 Colt ( my favorite defensive revolver caliber). All of my glock autos have the same controls and trigger pull & Etc plus all except the 37 use the same G-17 mags for a reload and my IWB holster. The Smiths are very very similar and yse the same holsters and speed loader cases.

I think their is more important things to worry about than what rounds I'm buying.

I just went with 9mm & .38 special because I got the best deals on the guns when I was starting out and never bothered to change to anything else.

These days, I only have to buy 5 kinds of ammo:

.22lr
    .38 special
    9mm
    5.56mm/.223
    12 ga

I've had others in the past, and will in the future, but I just don't see it as an important issue.

I've been weening my calibers down now for about 6 months. Sold off guns in several calibers ( 32 and 40) and now I only have 38 special and 9mm (excluding 22lr which doesn't really count.) These are the 2 cheapest to shoot and I liked the guns I have in these calibers best.

eb
    I started out years ago trying to stick with 9mm. I now have to buy 22, 380, 9mm, 38, & 45, lol.

Most of my carry guns are .45, 9mm, or .38/.357. I have the most ammo in those calibers. However, I do often carry .45 colt, .44 mag, .44 spec, .40, .380, .32s&w long, .32 auto and a few others. I keep as few as 100 rds for some of these, and as much as 1000 for others. I do much the same with rifles and shotguns.

It makes sense for me.
    I only have 1 use for guns, as a defensive weapon of last resort.
    I am not going to spend any time or energy or anxiety on training muscle memory for different calibers, different makes or models, different reloading or safety procedures, different cleaning materials and schedules.
    For carry handguns I picked 9mm (gold dot +P) as a reasonable self defense round that is available and relatively inexpensive enough that I can purchase enough now to fit my needs.
    Glock 26 for capacity, consistent trigger pull, reliability, lack of features, fixtures and do-dads unrelated to its job, concealability, universal magazine acceptance within the glock 9mm family, etc.
    Sister Glock 26 as backup gun for same reasons.
    I have enough other important things to learn, practice, and purchase, that I will and have made peace with the compromises that approach entails.
    Someone will always have a good argument why any single part of my decision process is suboptimal compared with what they would do, and often they are correct, but as a package deal it makes as much sense now as it did day 1.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I carry either 9mmP or .380. The CCW inventory is: Glock 19 (also for HD), Glock 26, Walther PPK/S, Ruger LCP. Of the 4, the Glock 26 is carried the most, the LCP is second. The Glock 19 (primary HD gun) and PPK/s may be carried now and then, but the two primary carry guns are the G26 and LCP.

My bride (of 43 years) packs a .38SP Ruger LCR. Her HD gun is a 6" 686 in .357MAG.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Would you recommend standardizing on a caliber for CC'ing? As much as possible at least? Or do you alternate between various rounds regularly? I currently only own 1 pistol but as I expand my collection I'm curious on your thoughts.
    I standardize on platform and vary the caliber.
    All our handguns (save the .22 revolver plinker) are 1911's.
    One for target and competition, one in .45 that I carry, one in 9mm that the wife carries.
    She can pick up the .45 and be confortable with the weapon, I can use the 9 and not fumble a safety or anything - they all operate the same.

Additionally, they all have about the same trigger break, from first shot to last.

My 2 cents.

- Mike

Interesting thread. All else being equal, the "fear the man with one gun, he knows how to use it" is probably wise. (There's an interesting controversy about who first said it tho many are sure they know.) I only shoot 357 mag, even for IDPA (I usually win my division, but often the only wheelgunner!). I'm not sure caliber is the key, tho. I started with SP101, which I carry in the back country and is the right gun for me there. But I started to shoot IDPA, and decided it wasn't that much fun with a 5-shot, so my spouse gave me a GP 100. Both 3", both same sight radius, I put the same gold dot sight on both, same manual of arms, all Ruger. Somewhat different trigger, but close in most ways. Then I picked up an LCR for carry and travel. Shorter sight radius, different trigger pull. Takes more practice to keep them all up. Not sure I should't have stayed with one tho I shoot them all pretty well. All similar, but ..."Fear the man..." Maybe so for serious business. JMO (to those about to offer to take 2 off my hands, I don't think so-my spouse already claimed one, anyway.)

I agree with the ones who've said it's better to stick with a particular platform rather than caliber. Most of my pistols are either Glocks or 1911s, and I am very familiar with both.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I got tired of the different caliber problem. So I sold my 9mm and my .38 and replaced them with the .45ACP platform which I reload for. I have 2 1911`s, 2 S&W`s and a Hi-Point 4595 Carbine all in .45ACP. It just made things easier as ammo gets more scarce and expensive. Works for me.

More variety is more fun. Variety = spice of life.
    I'd be more concerned about getting consistency with the trigger type.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links