Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

This is a discussion on Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you recommend standardizing on a caliber for CC'ing? As much as possible at least? Or do you alternate between various rounds regularly? I currently ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Is it best to standardize on a caliber as much as possible?

Would you recommend standardizing on a caliber for CC'ing? As much as possible at least? Or do you alternate between various rounds regularly? I currently only own 1 pistol but as I expand my collection I'm curious on your thoughts.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Speaking from a performance rather than a logistics point of view, it depends on a couple of things. Your ability to adapt to different weapons and different power levels. I alternate between a 92FS, 9mm and a GP100, .357 Mag without problem.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Been shooting for decades and I haven't noticed any real issues when changing from one caliber to the next. Granted, larger calibers or hotter loads may affect your accuracy but its all relative, and you will adapt.
    Magnum, BkCo1, SGT and 1 others like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I used to think so, and chose 9mm for a variety of reasons, one of which was cost of ammo enabling me to train alot. I have a striker-fired (DA) S&W M&P.

But now I also shoot SA .45 lc revolvers in cowboy mounted shooting. I debated whether tI should risk this causing some issues...and I'm not sure yet. I dont go to the (indoor) range much in the summer, but do so thru the other months. Will be starting up again soon, after spending the summer shooting the SA revolvers.

They are 2 completely different activities.

Bottom line now, I may even choose a different caliber for a smaller carry gun (my M&P is fullsize) and to with a Kahr in .45 acp or maybe stick with the 9mm. I'm going to see how I shoot this fall in my IDPA practices.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Been shooting for decades and I haven't noticed any real issues when changing from one caliber to the next. Granted, larger calibers or hotter loads may affect your accuracy but its all relative, and you will adapt.
    For me, I'm concerned about trigger differences. Wont know until I try switching back and forth tho. I'll be going from a 3 lb trigger to a 8-9 lb. in the M&P. (I think, I might be remembering the M&P incorrectly).
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

I have been thinking of consolidating a little. Mainly due to ammo prices. I'd much rather be able to stockpile more quantity in 5 or 6 different calibers than less quantity for 8 or 9 different calibers.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have always liked to have at least some guns in different calibers, so if there are good prices in one vs the other I can pick up on them, and if there was ever a shortage in a particular caliber, or if I were somewhere that just didn't carry that caliber (it happens).

For instance, the ammo shortages and price increases a couple of years ago, I found that getting .357 was ridiculous and around here, it is still not widely available. There were shortages on .380 ammo (although I don't have one), etc. So, I was always able to get at least 1 of whatever caliber I had and have ammo. But, I wouldn't get carried away with it.
    I try to keep it to 3 calibers.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think in terms of stockpiling, ( if you feel that need) picking one caliber that is functional and shootable by every adult in your household is a good idea...

In terms of switching from caliber to caliber when CCW, I think that as long as you practice with the particular platforms you will be switching between, if you use good shooting principals, and more importantly, good gunfight survival tactics, you will be ok...

I decided to keep my carry to 9mm within one family (Glock). I have a G26 with a bunch of G19 mags. My next weapon will be a G19 for home use only. I also have a S&W .357 magnum, but that is more of a SHTF for my wife to use when she is home alone. I understnad everyone has different reasons for acquiring weapons, but at 2 am, I am not going to have the time or luxury to determine if my spare mags are for 9mm or .45 or whatever. I figure I will keep it simple and have one system that works at all times for all my weapons. Now, eventually I may purchase something else, but it will likely be a safe queen.

It usually depends on where i am going,if i am heading to the beach i carry different than if i am going to be out and come back home at 3 am or be not in the best part of town at night.

VIP Member
    If I owned many different things in both the long and short variety I would still try to keep the calibers the same or close to it.

.22, .38/.357, 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62 Nato, 7.62x39, 12 gauge.

As far as the weapons platform yes I switch from one to the other. I simply take a few minutes to get my brain and hands wired together. I normally will carry in the same position so that is not a factor most of the time.
    I don't have an issue going from a point and shoot type weapons system, Glock/M&P, to a something with a safety, 1911 or Para, or to a traditional DA/SA Sig or Beretta again taking a few minutes to orient myself as to what it takes to make the system work is the main thing.

You must remember though this is not for everyone. You have to be able to adapt to the different systems and train with every one of them not just one and then pick up the other and hope for the best. Learn one, master it then move on to the next.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

As far as my CCW guns go, they are all 9mm Glocks. I have a 17/19/26 and plan to get a 34 as well. The 34 will be a game gun. What is nice about standardizing calibers with some weapon platforms is that I can shrare magazines. I usually carry my Glock 19 but occasionally the Glock 26 gets carried if I cannot carry the 19 for some reason. I also carry the 17 if I can as well. However when I get a 1911 it will be a .45 ACP as I feel that is the best caliber for that platform. But as far as calibers go, I try to keep my guns in 9mm and .45 ACP for pistols. As far as revolvers go, I plan to get a .38/.357 as well. My long guns will be 12 gauge in my shotguns and 5.56/2.23 as well as .308 for my rifles.

I want to keep my calibers to the basic calibers for self defense and survival. However I have toyed with the idea of a 10mm and .40 S&W as well. But for the most part I prefer 9mm and .45 ACP in my pistols.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    For SD it's 10mm, 45, 357 mag. Same for HD. Those 3 are all I need.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

My CCWs are all 9mm, and for HD I have .38spl and .357 mag. And 20 gauge. For plinking, .22.

It doesn't cause a problem.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Speaking defensive ammo only:
    45, 40, 357 mag, 357 sig, 9mm

Plinkers:
    380, 22

I guess I would say that variety is the spice of life...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links