Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation among theories

This is a discussion on Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation among theories within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Once again, every reason they can think, BUT 1! Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation cited - US news - Crime & courts - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation among theories

Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation among theories

Once again, every reason they can think, BUT 1!

Crime in decline, but why? Low inflation cited - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

1. An aging U.S. population.
    2. More toys, less property crime.
    3. Low inflation.
    4. More and smarter policing.

How about the fact that they are afraid of getting their arse shot off!!!

Not once do they mention the fact that criminals are afraid that more people are carrying guns for protection and criminals are afraid of being shot.
    Hopyard, smolck and dukalmighty like this.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I’m not really sure of the accuracy of the information but more States are making it easier for citizens to carry concealed, with laws to protect citizens in lawful shootings. Not even harden criminals like being shot so maybe the BG's are thinking twice.
    SGT, PatAz and baren like this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I suspect that one aspect of the "study", is to show the declining need for guns.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I suspect that one aspect of the "study", is to show the declining need for guns.
    I tend to agree with your suspicion...and will include my own that it's an attempt by an otherwise unsuccessful Administration to put some kind of "happy face" on the current depress...er.....REcess....er....RECOVERY.
    SGT likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Anybody can make anything read whatever they want with stats.
    franco45 and 2wheelGnnr like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Society just might survive if enough good people with guns make it so. Gun ownership will NEVER get the credit it deserves. We all know better but they have their answers. Reality has nothing to do with it.
    In a gun fight, you can not miss fast enough, to catch up.

I noticed crime went down the same year I started sleeping on my right side....

Prove this didn't cause it.

While we who carry would like to think that it can be attributed to the fact that more and more people can do so; and that more and more people have weapons in their homes, that is not the only reason, and may not be the primary reason.

'Lies, Damned lies, and Statistics.'

I believe that it is one way the government can say "See, we don't need gunzez no more. It's a safer world." But, that can be reasonably countered with "The reason there is less crime is that there are more gunzez. Read the paper, see all the crimes."

So the stats prove nothing either way... Carry on. It is your right. Don't let it lapse through disuse.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

One can make statistics say anyone one wants, if you torture them long enough.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Got to wonder how they got the figures. My small town - less than 40,000, has seen an upswing in shootings, murders, copper thefts, and other assorted crimes over the past year. These figures were taken from our local paper.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member
    The answer that main stream press would give is that your local paper is "A bunch of Tea Party sympathizer, out to make the administration look bad".
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Figures lie, and liars figure...
    The Old Anglo and JoJoGunn like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Assuming these figures are accurate (and of course that's always a big if when you're talking statistics, irrespective of what you're trying to demonstrate with them), I'd be interested to see what cities have had the biggest drops in crime - to me THAT would be a bigger indicator of whether citizen gun ownership is playing a role. Some of the nationwide leaders in crime rates over the past decade are major cities in states/regions in states that are generally NOT gun friendly, i.e. Oakland, Chicago, Boston, Milwakee, NYC, Buffalo, etc. Conversely, there are other high crime cities in gun friendly states: Memphis, Miami, Nashville, Atlanta, Detroit, etc. I'd be interested to see how those chips have fallen.

On the other hand, again, assuming the figures are accurate, it's encouraging to see crime dropping irrespective of what the cause is. Obviously I own a gun and carry, but I think it's safe to say I'm not alone in saying that I'd much rather never be put in a position where I have to put my range time to real life use. The ideal outcome for me is that all the time and money spent at the range remains nothing more than a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend time with my wife and family on a Saturday morning.

ITW
    Why is there less crime?

The cell phone.

In the old days one had to find a phone to report an incident or something suspicious. Many didn't bother. Today one just picks up their phone and dials 911.

The fact is, most crime is of the non-violent sort. And most criminals like to avoid confrontations with people whether armed or not.

Not to mention the fact that it is not lawful for a citizen to use deadly force against someone suspected of a crime, except in self defense.
    sigsegv likes this.

Violent crime has been dropping since the mid 1990's and that is about when many states started passing concealed carry laws.
    Even though most gun owners have access to "high capacity" magazines, crime is down.
    More states than ever have concealed carry and crime is down.
    Anti-gun people got an explanation for that?
    Dang- reality keeps knocking down the anti-gun B.S.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links