Write up on Carson City IHOP

This is a discussion on Write up on Carson City IHOP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Taking the long shot: WARRIOR TALK NEWS - The Long Shot...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Write up on Carson City IHOP

Taking the long shot:

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - The Long Shot

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Taking the long shot:

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - The Long Shot
    Great, now it's time to explain to my 89 year old Mother In Law that I'm not a lucky dumb ass.

Not that I'm unlucky but I'm a first down type of shooter. These Hail Mary shots are fine for the range but I have a real problem with dragged **** across my screen.

Not while I'm around.

C'mon Gramma, let's go back over here.......... Keep your head down.........

Maybe?? a skill for a long shot is need sometimes!!!!!

A significant event at Fairchild occurred on June 20, 1994 when Dean Mellberg, an ex-Air Force member entered the base hospital and shot and killed five people and wounded many others. Mellberg had been discharged after failing psychological evaluations by base psychologists Maj. Thomas Brigham and Captain Alan London. At the time of the shooting, Fairchild's hospital was an ungated facility. The gunman, armed with a Chinese-made MAK-90, an AK-47 clone[6] entered the office of Brigham and London and killed both men. Mellberg continued to move through the hospital, injuring and killing several people, including 8-year-old Christin McCarron. The gunman then walked out of the building into the parking lot, where after killing Anita Linder, was confronted by Security Policeman, Senior Airman Andy Brown. From approximately 70 yards away, Brown ordered Mellberg to drop his weapon. After Mellberg refused, from a kneeling position Brown fired four shots from his 9mm pistol, two rounds hitting the perpetrator in the head and shoulder, killing him.[7] After an investigation it was concluded that Airman Brown was justified in his actions, saving countless lives, and was awarded the Airman's Medal by President Clinton.

Note that it was a base law enforcement officer, he used a pistol against someone armed with an AK-47 varient, and Airman Brown fired four shots at 70 yards distance, but hit with only two--apparently shooting high because Brown hit Mellberg in the head and shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFjBOeSfNLI

So even with a "trained professional" shooting it's 50-50.
    What did Senior Airman Brown have for a backstop? What did his other rounds impact? If he had the glass entrance doors and windows of a restaurant for a back stop would he still have shot? While it is a nice feel good story it does not give enough information to say it is an apples to apples comparison.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    What did Senior Airman Brown have for a backstop? What did his other rounds impact? If he had the glass entrance doors and windows of a restaurant for a back stop would he still have shot? While it is a nice feel good story it does not give enough information to say it is an apples to apples comparison.
    The backstop was a road dead ending far beyond the hospital with a flight line beyond that. Cars lined both sides of the road with personnel taking cover behind the vehicles. The safety of personnel in the area were a concern however the danger the shooter posed was of greater concern. When the four shots were taken, only the gunman was visible. All four shots went down range including the two that struck the gunman being FMJ ball ammo, they passed through and through, one through the shoulder one through the head. Only one of the 9mm rounds was recovered after striking the fender of a car beyond the shooter. It is not known if the recovered round is one that struck the shooter. I had mentally rehearsed kneeling shots when innocents were in the background thinking the upward trajectory would make for a safer shot, if the shot had to be taken. Clearly this shot had to be taken. Kneeling also afforded a steadier aim and use of the sights. At this distance the target was barely visible behind the front sight and the point of aim was center of mass. There is plenty of official information available on the website devoted to this incident, including two reports of investigation from OSI and the Spokane County Sheriffs Office. Fairchild Air Force Base Hospital Shooting Remembered

The photo shows the backdrop minus the police cars which were not there at the time. Also an ariel photo of where the shooting occured. I was on the sidewalk adjacent to the long narrow building at the bottom of the photo. The shooter was dropped in the grass near the driveway of the hospital adjacent to the road at the bottom of the photo.

GRAHAM ROAD SCENE.jpg IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0028 (2).jpg
    Last edited by APBrown; November 7th, 2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling, and photographs
    Beans likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    50% at that range with that equipment under those circumstances is very nice shooting.
    NONAME762 and oneshot like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APBrown View Post
    The backstop was a road dead ending far beyond the hospital with a flight line beyond that. Cars lined both sides of the road with personnel taking cover behind the vehicles. The safety of personnel in the area were a concern however the danger the shooter posed was of greater concern. When the four shots were taken, only the gunman was visable. All four shots went down range including the two that struck the gunman being FMJ ball ammo, they passed through and through, one through the shoulder one through the head. Only one of the 9mm rounds was recovered after striking the fender of a car beyond the shooter. It is not known if the recovered round is one that struck the shooter. I had mentally rehearsed kneeling shots when innocents were in the background thinking the upward trajectory would make for a safer shot, if the shot had to be taken. Clearly this shot had to be taken. Kneeling also aforded a steadier aim and use of the sights. At this distance the target was barely visable behind the front sight and the point of aim was center of mass. There is plenty of official information available on the website devoted to this incident, including two reports of investigation from OSI and the Spokane County Sheriffs Office. Fairchild Air Force Base Hospital Shooting Remembered - Dedicated to:

The photo shows the backdrop minus the police cars which were not there at the time. Also an ariel photo of where the shooting occured and where the shooter was dropped.

Attachment 54245 Attachment 54246 IMG_0035.jpg
    Sorry, I didn't notice your post before I made my last one. Thanks for the link, and for being good at what you do. Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't notice your post before I made my last one. Thanks for the link, and for being good at what you do. Regards.
    Not a problem and thank you Mike.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links