Frustration with local Governments in WI

This is a discussion on Frustration with local Governments in WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The signs will start disappearing after about 2 yrs of CC and there are no issues. The more you let businesses know you will and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Frustration with local Governments in WI

The signs will start disappearing after about 2 yrs of CC and there are no issues. The more you let businesses know you will and are going to take business elsewhere due to the signs, the better.
    DirkD and BkCo1 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

2. Remove Ads

Because of the way the law was written they gave us some nice provisions as far as making it legal to keep it in your car in any parking lot (except for schools). If your employer says no guns at work, they cannot say no guns in your car. Same goes for government buildings, even courthouses and jails. Have you taken your concealed carry class yet? If not, I highly recommend you do sooner rather than later so you can apply for your Utah permit before November 1, otherwise you'll have to wait to prove you have a Wisconsin permit (mid-late December to actually receive it) before you can even apply for Utah's. Also, they go over this pretty extensively.

Of course I am not an attorney, nor a legal expert so this isn't legal advice of any sort. Just my own interpretation of the law and the way it was explained to me.
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

If you're lucky you will eventually get to a point where they pass a law like the one that goes into effect in FL Oct. 1. The law holds local officials PERSONALLY responsible for laws in their communities that over reach state law (in FL the state is the only public entity that can make any law regarding guns) and punishes the officials with a fine up to $5,000. Needless to say, illegal laws are being wiped from the books of cities and counties all over the state at a record pace.
    Ally likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    Because of the way the law was written they gave us some nice provisions as far as making it legal to keep it in your car in any parking lot (except for schools). If your employer says no guns at work, they cannot say no guns in your car. Same goes for government buildings, even courthouses and jails. Have you taken your concealed carry class yet? If not, I highly recommend you do sooner rather than later so you can apply for your Utah permit before November 1, otherwise you'll have to wait to prove you have a Wisconsin permit (mid-late December to actually receive it) before you can even apply for Utah's. Also, they go over this pretty extensively.

Of course I am not an attorney, nor a legal expert so this isn't legal advice of any sort. Just my own interpretation of the law and the way it was explained to me.
    Wrong. Anyone can park in a school parking lot while armed with a valid CC permit. The grey area comes from how you can move about outside of the school on school property.

I work for a school district so any provisions dealing with them is something I've been paying particular attention to.

The official writ explaining the law helps cover some of the murkier areas.

I wonder just how much Chicago's sphere of influence extends? Would anyone consider moving due to a local's horrible stance on firearms?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Was there not a provision in the WI carry law that exempted businesses from any liability should they allow CC in their buildings?

The Minnesota experience was that everybody and their cousin stapled signs to every surface big enough to hold one, and then after about two years of not much at all happening, most of the signs came down.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post
    Wrong. Anyone can park in a school parking lot while armed with a valid CC permit. The grey area comes from how you can move about outside of the school on school property.

I work for a school district so any provisions dealing with them is something I've been paying particular attention to.

The official writ explaining the law helps cover some of the murkier areas.
    The way it was explained to me, guns are still not permitted on ANY school property (except school forests that the district allows use for hunting)...what the CC law did was take away the 1000ft zone around schools for people that have a valid permit. If you have a permit you can walk right up to the edge of school property but not go onto it. Whereas if you don't have a CC permit you cannot be within 1000 ft of school property. This is the way it was explained the CC course at least.
    Psalm 23

Any individual who knowingly possesses a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is within 1,000 feet of the grounds of a school is subject to a Class B forfeiture.
    SECTION 92. 948.605 (2) (b) (intro.) of the statutes is amended to read:
    948.605 (2) (b) (intro.) Paragraph (a) does not apply to the possession of a firearm by any of the following:
    SECTION 93. 948.605 (2) (b) 1., 2., 4., 5. and 7. of the statutes are repealed.
    SECTION 94. 948.605 (2) (b) 1m. and 1r. of the stat- utes are created to read:
    948.605 (2) (b) 1m. A person who possesses the fire- arm in accordance with 18 USC 922 (q) (2) (B) (i), (iv), (v), (vi), or (vii).
    1r. Except if the person is in or on the grounds of a school, a licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (d), or an out−of−state licensee, as defined in s. 175.60 (1) (g).
    SECTION 95. 948.605 (2) (b) 6. of the statutes is renumbered 948.605 (2) (b) 2m. and amended to read:
    948.605 (2) (b) 2m. By a law enforcement officer or A state−certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity; or.
    SECTION 96. 948.605 (2) (b) 8. of the statutes is renumbered 948.605 (2) (b) 3m. and amended to read:
    948.605 (2) (b) 3m. By a A person who is legally hunting in a school forest if the school board has decided that hunting may be allowed in the school forest under s. 120.13 (38).

I can't make sense of that because I'm not well versed in reading law...but that's what the law says
    Psalm 23

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    Schools and the grounds of schools are off limits even if you have a permit/license to carry. If the firearm is unloaded and secured in a vehicle that vehicle can drive onto school property. See WI Statutes 948.605 at https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/sta...atutes/948/605

Part of the law was rewritten by the Carry Law but that just allows those with Permit/Licenses to carry up to the School property line. The 1000 foot rule from school property does not apply to Permit/License Holders.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

The parking lot exemption still applies. With a valid CC permit you can park and stow your firearm legally in your vehicle.

There was a lot of discussion being done on whether or not you can CC outside of schools on school grounds. The discussions I never found the answer to mostly dealt with various events being held on school property, but outside of the building. There are two sections that have language dealing with that, and both sections say different things. Almost the exact opposite actually.

In Minnesota you can basically walk around your vehicle, I think it's a 10 foot radius, to allow for the ability to open doors for passengers or get something out of the trunk, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by natimage View Post
    The way it was explained to me, guns are still not permitted on ANY school property (except school forests that the district allows use for hunting)...what the CC law did was take away the 1000ft zone around schools for people that have a valid permit. If you have a permit you can walk right up to the edge of school property but not go onto it. Whereas if you don't have a CC permit you cannot be within 1000 ft of school property. This is the way it was explained the CC course at least.
    May be true in YOUR State..... but quite wrong as a general statement.

Here's the law establishing "gun free zones" at schools :

US Code Title 18 Section 922

(2)(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to
    possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects
    interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual
    knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a
    firearm -
    (i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do
    so by the State in which the school zone is located or a
    political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or
    political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains
    such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or
    political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified
    under law to receive the license;

iii) that is -
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is
    on a motor vehicle;
    (iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school
    in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into
    between a school in the school zone and the individual or an
    employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official
    capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while
    traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to
    public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school
    premises is authorized by school authorities.
    (3)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall be
    unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless disregard for
    the safety of another, to discharge or attempt to discharge a
    firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or
    foreign commerce at a place that the person knows is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge of a firearm
    - (i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school
    zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;
    (iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered
    into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an
    employer of the individual; or
    (iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official
    capacity.
    (4) Nothing in this subsection shall be construed as preempting
    or preventing a State or local government from enacting a statute
    establishing gun free school zones as provided in this subsection.

In short words, if your STATE has in it's laws that you are legal to carry in schools and / or school zones and you are licensed by the State to carry, you can , without violating any federal law.

Here, it is quite legal to carry in a school, unless the building is "posted " ...... where I live they are NOT posted.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Congrats to Wisky for finally getting concealed carry, it probably take a couple of years and more lawsuits to get everyone on board.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links