Frustration with local Governments in WI

This is a discussion on Frustration with local Governments in WI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Everyone, I think this may be my first post. Sorry I have not introduced myself. Mostly just like reading all the posts, don't usually ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Frustration with local Governments in WI

Frustration with local Governments in WI

Hey Everyone, I think this may be my first post. Sorry I have not introduced myself. Mostly just like reading all the posts, don't usually have a lot to say.

For the majority of this year I have been excitedly anticipating the implementation of the conceal and carry law in WI (finally!) however it seems like more and more of the local municipalities are doing everything they can to circumvent the state law and prevent law abiding citizens from legally carrying concealed firearms. I live in the Dane County/Madison area and just saw in the news that both the city of Madison board and the Dane County board are trying to ban concealed carry and/or weapons in general from any and all city or county owned buildings. At first I didn't really care, I figured I do not go to many government buildings/properties anyways. But then I noticed that they were trying to post the PARKING GARAGES! So would this mean you couldn't even lock your gun in your car? Unfortunately (as far as i have heard) the signs have the force of law.

Do any of you have similar situations where you live? The closer it gets to November 1st (the day the law goes into effect) the more signs I have been seeing and it seems like my gun is going to have to spend more of its time locked in the car than actually on my side.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome!

All I can say is that with every State that has enacted carry laws there is always shall I say "growing pains"? Just be patient, with time things will get better.

When it comes to carry laws, there are some that say the "streets will run red with blood", "think of the children" or "there will be shoot-outs in the bars"! But as everyone knows this will never happen. I have watched many States change their laws like the so called "carry in bars" or the change from "may issue" to "shall issue" and there is always resistances from the media or the police officials even though other States allow it with no problem, it never turns out the way they say, life goes on.

If your representatives listen to the people, they will, over time keep making it easier for people to protect themselves.

I am lucky living in a State that has allowed us to carry for many decades (one of the first actually), with that said, even "we" are improving things every year. It will get better!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

If you think Wisconsin is bad...
    BTW...welcome aboard!
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Government building is understandable. Thats how it is in MN as well. Dont really have any problems with it as I never go there.

VIP Member
    It will take a few people taking them to court over these issues to get case law on the books. If you are really lucky you may get a preemption law out of it, as we have here in Michigan. That is, lower governmental bodies can not enact restrictions stricter than State laws.

As said before, growing pains.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Iowa was the same after we went to shall issue... There is preemption in our state law, but that didn't stop municipalities and counties from trying the same things yours are... Wait til you get some police chief printing up gun free zone signs for all the businesses in his town.

For all you Cheese Heads, what do you expect? Your whole state is just a suburb of Chicago! At least, that's the way they think of you... Wisconsin is "The Hamptons" to Chicagoans.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

At least Wisconsin is going to be a Concealed Carry State and yes, you will have to listen to all the Anti rhetoric until nothing they say comes to pass.

My wife is a former Illinoian. Check out their gun laws to see killing of rights in action. We are hoping one day they will come out of the dark ages and get with the majority of the Country.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Iowa was the same after we went to shall issue... There is preemption in our state law, but that didn't stop municipalities and counties from trying the same things yours are... Wait til you get some police chief printing up gun free zone signs for all the businesses in his town.

For all you Cheese Heads, what do you expect? Your whole state is just a suburb of Chicago! At least, that's the way they think of you... Wisconsin is "The Hamptons" to Chicagoans.
    I think if you keep an open mind and try to remember that this is a big, new THING for many people, you will get a much better outcome. Many of those people do not know the first thing regarding CC issues, and they will be feeling their way through the liabilities and legalities involved.

Yes, there will be some knee-jerk reaction to the new law, but I don't think it is realistic to think that Wisconsin will, overnight, become as gun-friendly and open as other states that have had CC for decades. Those states have already gone through their "growing pains" and have "matured", so to speak.

Give Wisconsin time. There are great, intelligent people in that state. They will come around and figure it out.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Administrator
    In my limited knowledge of that area, I do know that Madison is notoriously liberal. Combine that with the factor that CCW is very new to Wi, its going to be a bumpy road for a few years.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm thinking that any holster makers should come up with a "cheesehead holster" conceal your gun in your cheesy hat and show your Wisconsin Pride,while packing heat in an inconspicuous place
    rammerjammer and Fisher10 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    It will take awhile to get the growing pains healed. But from what I read in the law they can post their buildings but they can't post the parking lots.

4. Enters or remains in any part of a building that is owned, occupied, or controlled by the state or any local
    governmental unit, excluding any building or portion of a building under s. 175.60 (16) (a), if the state or local governmental unit has notified the actor not to enter or remain in the building while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a person who leases residential or business premises in the building or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of the building used as a parking facility.

Here is what 175.60 (16) (a) states:

(16) Prohibited Activity.

(a) Except as provided in par. (b), neither a licensee nor an out−of−state licensee may knowingly carry a concealed weapon, a weapon that is not concealed, or a firearm that is not a weapon in any of the following places:
    1. Any portion of a building that is a police station, sheriff’s office, state patrol station, or the office of a division of criminal investigation special agent of the department.
    2. Any portion of a building that is a prison, jail, house of correction, or secured correctional facility.
    3. The facility established under s. 46.055. (Secure mental health facility for sexually violent Persons)
    4. The center established under s. 46.056. (Wisconsin Resource Center)
    5. Any secured unit or secured portion of a mental health institute under s. 51.05, including a facility designated as the Maximum Security Facility at Mendota Mental Health Institute.
    6. Any portion of a building that is a county, state, or federal courthouse.
    7. Any portion of a building that is a municipal courtroom if court is in session.
    8. A place beyond a security checkpoint in an airport.
    DirkD likes this.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

VIP Member
    As the old saying goes: "Rome wasn't built in a day". As with anything new there will be resistance to change. With time, once the "powers to be" see their fears are unfounded things will loosen up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    Government building is understandable. Thats how it is in MN as well. Dont really have any problems with it as I never go there.
    I beg to differ. This is very well, NOT understandable as the 2A clearly is a restriction on governments (as applied by the 14th) and it tells them they may not infringe on this right.

To the OP - In Ohio, particularly in the larger cities, many parking lots are posted. Some of the government lots also disallow motorcycles - another discussion, but clearly an attitude issue on the part of government. Here the signs carry the weight of law and frequently are not visible until you are inside the facility. Many collect payment for a day in advance, so by then they have your money then tell you that you are not welcome. It stinks.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I have relatives in Wisconsin and one of them told me their town is trying to ban firearms, period.

Will be interesting to see how they try and pull that one off.

I will say though, when I heard about the concealed carry bill being passed I talked to some locals about it one night - keep in mind, these were the deer hunter type - and they were against it, I found 1 person the whole night who had any interest in the new concealed carry law.

Any law that gets passed by local municipalities that is stricter than state law is void before the ink dries. The laws attempted to be passed are merely illegal rhetoric that are feel good measures at best for people who don't get it.

Not that listening to the stupidity of various local municipalities gives much hope. You just have to smile knowing that most of them will get struck down by the state AG immediately, or before the illegal laws are enforced. Even the state DoJ has attempted to intervene in regions/cities like Madison telling the city leaders not to bother.

Madison's city leaders have been sent letters reminding them of state laws, and warning them what will happen should they violate state law both by the AG and the DoJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links