First 6 months carrying, my thoughts

This is a discussion on First 6 months carrying, my thoughts within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying daily for the past 6 months and these are a few of my thoughts. First, I do not feel safer now ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mjblat
  • 1 Post By mjblat
  • 1 Post By WHEC724

Thread: First 6 months carrying, my thoughts

I have been carrying daily for the past 6 months and these are a few of my thoughts.
    First, I do not feel safer now than I did before, I do feel more prepared to deal with an unsafe situation. Second, nobody cares what I am doing so my fears of everyone knowing that I am carrying was unfounded. I carried a LCP at first because of my fears about printing, today I carry my G26 and am confident that nobody knows. Third, I was very nervous about carrying with one in the chamber but after a couple that went away. Last but not least, after buying my G26 I got caught up in the accessory maze. I wanted the upgrade for everything but today, night sights are all I have that are not "stock". Just a few of my thoughts after 6 months.
    DirkD likes this.

VIP Member
    'Sounds like you are tracking well . How is the range time going? Any training coming up?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    And in another 6 months you will find when your pants go on so does your gun with zero throught about it. Then the worry is to remember its there so don't go into some where you can't carry it. Nothing like stopping at the door and have to walk back to lock up your pistol in your car.

Good post. The only place I differ is that I DO feel safer...not directly because of the gun, but because the responsibility that comes with carrying causes me to be MORE aware of what's going on around me and consequently I tend to stay away from potentially dangerous situations even more than before I was carrying. While I would not hesistate to use my firearm to protect myself or others, it is the very last thing in the world I ever want to have to do.
    I am a hard-working self-employed conservative Christian white male gun owner. How else can I tick you off today?

I have been going to the range once a week for the past 4 months and have attended a advanced conceal carry class and have a handgun tactics course scheduled for October. I would like to add that I have found that I am much more polite while carrying. Sad to say that I wasnt as polite before but its true.
    WHEC724 likes this.

I feel safer as well but still not invincible.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I went through exactly what you went through. I was absolutely positive EVERYONE was looking at my 5 o'clock position noticing my gun......NOT. Nobody even thinks that I am carrying as I just act normal....whatever that is. I do find myself "preening" more, which may be a giveaway.

Went through the same issues with one in the pipe. But I, too, am over that now. In fact, I would be MORE nervous not having one round chambered as I have seen too many times where there is just not enough time to chamber a round.

As far as feeling safer...not really, but I do feel more prepared to handle a situation. Been through some simulated situations and things happen fast. If you are not prepared, you are really toast.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Been carrying for a long time and now I seldom feel any different. I'm a bit more reserved, and my old cop days creeps into my perception of how I view people, places and circumstances. The downside is the gradual complacency that occurs over time.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Been carrying for a long time and now I seldom feel any different. I'm a bit more reserved, and my old cop days creeps into my perception of how I view people, places and circumstances. The downside is the gradual complacency that occurs over time.
    Saber's last comment is one of the reasons that I hang out here. Aside from the good company, these threads keep me thinking.
    oakchas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    The downside is the gradual complacency that occurs over time.
    I find that interesting and it initiates some curiosity. I live in what would be considered a relatively low crime area and I have not noticed any personal complacency or subsidence of concern. My curiosity stems from wonder of the cause of the complacency. Be it lack of recent involvement in incidents, environment, personality, age, ????

This is not in any way meant as a negative reflection, merely one of curiosity.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    I do not feel safer either; but, that is probably a factor of where I live and go than having a gun or not.

However, I have felt a couple of times that I would need to use the gun [road rage] and things deescalated.

Sponsored Links