Pipe-cleaner wearing a shoulder rig...

This is a discussion on Pipe-cleaner wearing a shoulder rig... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday was my first time out CC'ing and it left me with a few thoughts and questions. My wife and I both have Beretta PX4's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pipe-cleaner wearing a shoulder rig...

Yesterday was my first time out CC'ing and it left me with a few thoughts and questions.

My wife and I both have Beretta PX4's Mine is a full size .40 and hers is the compact 9mm. I like the gun a lot and don't want to go to a smaller one.

I bought a "Masters" leather shoulder rig a few weeks ago and got it fit up as well as possible for my tall skinny frame(6' 140 lb). It is very comfortable, high quality and fits the gun perfectly.

I went with the shoulder rig because I sit a lot more than most folks and thought it would work out better. When I have it covered and I am actually not slouching(happens occasionally), seems like it is fairly obvious that I have something there as it alters my shape quite a bit. I doubt too many if anyone realized I was carrying, but looking in a mirror, it looked pretty obvious to me. Heidi said she couldn't tell though most of the time.

So with my pipe-cleaner like body would there be a better method to conceal a full size pistol? I don't feel like it is too bad this way, but I am interested in hearing any ideas that could help.

Wife is still working on figuring out how she wants to carry. She is experimenting with IWB holsters now.

TIA,
    -Mike

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Check out the Smartcarry.

VIP Member
    Probably just the size of your cover clothing.

Administrator
    With your shoulder rig you should be positioning your firearm up high - about an inch or so under the support side armpit with the firearm muzzle canted slightly up.

After you get the firearm correctly positioned then cut all of the excess leather strap material off.

First off your paranoia about who will see will fade... Most folks would not know what the bulge was if you took it out & showed them...

Second - See a good tailor.... My wife is a tailor at Nieman Marcus and has altered many articles of clothing to make the weapon disappear even more...
    DirkD likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

That's a good looking shoulder rig. I used one all the time when I was off-duty LEO, loved it. Also good whenever you'll be wearing a jacket.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Personally I've never been a big fan of shoulder holster rigs. I prefer IWB at the 3:30 position with a forward cant.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm 6'5" 160# with a 34" waist and I don't have a problem concealing a 92FS in an IWB @ 7:30-8:30. I was extremely self conscious about it for the first month or so, but then I realized that nobody notices. Did the Wally-Walk, high-tops at McDonalds, even stood in line at DD in front of an officer, and he didn't say anything.

Just relax and try not to play with it. You'll get used to it.

I Frequently carry a Glock 17 in a Galco sholder holster when traveling as it is easier to access with seat belts & ETC. It is also a handy carry method when ATV riding. The Major disadvantage of sholder holsters (and some other styles) is the difficulty of range practice as sholder holsters are going to violate the 180 degree rule enforced on most square ranges. Accssing the weapon from a sholder holster requires extensive practice to avoid sweeping your reaction side (weak or support side) Arm with your muzzle. At 5'10" & 155lbs My usual Carry is a Dale Fricke Archangle Appendix Inside the Waist Band (AIWB) holster and IWB double mag pouch and have no problems with concealment.

Consider getting a Crossbreed Supertuck, its one of the best IWB holsters made and I think it would work for you.
    Im a larger person and I carry a full size 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and its very comfortable to the point that I
    sometimes forget that im wearing it.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    This is a nice looking shoulder rig,good price too.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Funny that I hadn't thought about a taylor. There are a couple talented people in my family that could help with that. After reading your responses, I am pretty sure the shirt I had for cover is the main problem. I had the holster adjusted as suggested above and for the size of the gun, I think it is setup very well. It is really a nice rig, not regretting that purchase at all!

I am going to get another holster as well just because I don't think a shoulder rig will be right for all situations. I will look into the supertuck and similar.

I don't know about the range yet and how they feel about the shoulder rig. We are waiting for them to get us scheduled in right now. We are both taking classes there (only one range in the area) soon and joining.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    Consider getting a Crossbreed Supertuck, its one of the best IWB holsters made and I think it would work for you.
    Im a larger person and I carry a full size 1911 in a Crossbreed Supertuck, and its very comfortable to the point that I
    sometimes forget that im wearing it.
    This has been the case with me also...

I've tried a bunch of holsters, and like this one far and away the best. Also, as has already been said, sometimes you have to alter your dress a bit to conceal the weapon

The only time I use/like a shoulder holster is under my fishing vest on trips to Alaska. It works well with a large revolver, and is easy to get to while wearing waders. No attempt or intention to conceal in this case

You Will have a drawer full of holsters before it is over.
    Semper Fi

Vantramp, since you live in Washington State and winter will be coming on soon a shoulder holster will be a cinch. Living down south here I prefer a IWB for 90% of the year. I primarily carry a Glock 23.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links