57 days...

57 days...

This is a discussion on 57 days... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...from receipt of the application to "Concealed Handgun License: Manufacturing Pending". Texas has 60 days to process a concealed handgun permit application. I emailed them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 57 days...

VIP Member

57 days...

...from receipt of the application to "Concealed Handgun License: Manufacturing Pending". Texas has 60 days to process a concealed handgun permit application. I emailed them 2 days ago because my status had been "waiting for background check" from the day they received the application (7/27). So now the wait begins to receive the actual permit. Almost there!

Has anyone found that calling or emailing "helps" to expedite the process? I didn't want to be a pain in the neck, but I also think my email might have nudged my application a little forward in line. (Of course, I emailed them about 3 weeks ago and that didn't help, so who knows?)
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

didn't call, but the background check took the longest time almost 2 weeks. Finally got mine in the mail yesterday.

Yeah the background check seems to be the default status while they are taking their sweet time, I had the same thing but still got mine in about 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Yeah the background check seems to be the default status while they are taking their sweet time, I had the same thing but still got mine in about 3 weeks
    That's why I love Missouri. The sheriff has 45 days then he must issue whether the background check is completed or not.

If he has already issued the permit, and it later comes back that the person is not eligible to have the ccw permit, it is now incumbent on the Sheriff to go and retrieve the permit.

If there are dis-qualifiers noted before the 45 day deadline then he has no problem denying the permit. But on day 45 if there are no dis-qualifiers and the process is still incomplete he must still issue the permit.

The law was specifically worded so the bureaucracy can not drag their feet. We are not penalized because there is a back-log on background checks.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    The status changed today to "Concealed Handgun License: Mailed" Now the mailbox surveillance begins!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    9/26 and still no permit How long does mail take from Austin to Dallas? I guess they sent it via pony express...
    Ben

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    One great thing about Minnesota, 8 days from payment to hard card in the mail. :)

I know Alabama catches flack for being a "may issue" state, but dang, you guys wait a long time. I got mine (and I live in the largest county with the most people) in 2 weeks start to finish.

My CHL took about 5 weeks to process.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    When I applied for mine at the Morrow County Sheriff's Department, well-known for their promptness in the shall-issue process, I was specifically instructed by them NOT to call them, but to wait until I heard from them. A little more than two weeks later they called me and told me to come in and finish the process. My home county is notorious for dragging their feet, usually taking the entire 45 days afforded them by state law. The county loses thousands in revenue each year as a result.

I took my ccdw class on Feb 19, and had my license in hand on April 21. Took 6 wks to do a background check.

i love south dakota for this reason i walked in to the sheriffs dept and filled out paperwork paid them the 20-25 bucks and they handed me a temp permit and about a week later the real one showed up in the mail

VIP Member
    Still no sign of the permit... I emailed the Texas DPS and they replied: "Your license was issued on 9/22/2011, please allow 7-10 business days for delivery."

I've heard of snail-mail, but I could walk from Austin to Dallas in 7 to 10 business days!

Aaargggh! Breathe deeply...keep repeating "Must be patient...must be patient..."
    Ben

Man that does seem like forever it took 3 business days for me to get my AZ permit! I feel lucky!!!!

VIP Member
    We were away for a few days and I received the permit sometime between Wednesday 9/28 and Saturday 10/1! Carried all day and felt great!
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links