Looking for options

This is a discussion on Looking for options within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am looking for some concealed carry options. I will be carrying either a M9 or a Para PDA in 45. Heres the thing ...

Thread: Looking for options

Looking for options

Hello, I am looking for some concealed carry options. I will be carrying either a M9 or a Para PDA in 45. Heres the thing that will limit choice, is 6'2 300. Right handed able to reach across body in front and behind. Wear blue jeans with a belt all year long mostly and tee shirts with a sweet shirt in the winter.. Thanks for any input yall can provide.

2. Remove Ads

Are you looking for gun options or carry mode options?

I was kind of looking just for carry options, but if one of the two guns is a better choice, I'm open to your guy's opinions. Thank you.

Well I'm not tooo familiar with Para's but I think the PDA is on the smaller size right? Do you allready own these guns? There's nothing wrong with the M-9 other than it's HUGE for a 9mm. Strong side OWB or IWB is gennerally going to be the norm but finding the right holster for you is the hardest part. There are so many and what works for some may not work for you. I make my own holsters therefor if it doesn't work I can throw it in the pile of junk. Cross breed supertucks get rave reviews so there's a little guidance. Welcome to the forum by the way.

I do not currently own either of these guns, but they are on the list.. The PDA is the smaller frame.

VIP Member
    Of the 2 guns mentioned the Para PDA is going to be the easier of the 2 to conceal, due to the fact it is designed on the 1911 platform, so it is flatter. The down side is capacity, which I believe is 8+1.

The M9 is higher capacity, 15+1. But since it is a double stack magazine it is going to be thicker thorough the grip. It is also a service pistol and as such is going to have a longer barrel than the PDA.

I think there are other gun options that are better than either one of these.

As for carry rig. I prefer an IWB holster, carried at the 3:00-4:00 position, with a forward cant. My preference is leather, although kydex will work too.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    The M9 in an OWB in a T-shirt or sweat shirt will be all but impossible to pull off successfully unless you get one that is so big it hangs down to your crotch. I think IWB is the only way I could pull that one off.

Even a shorter gun can be difficult to OWB using those cover garments, not impossible, but difficult.

Given the clothing you described I would go with an IWB holster. Which gun doesn't really matter but the M9 is heavy and thick and you might find yourself deciding not to carry it at times because of the extra effort it requires.

Jim

VIP Member
    This guy's products work for me. He and his wife are usually available during business hours, and are very helpful and knowledgeable. Holsters Concealment Systems Gunleather Concealed Carry for Weapons

The issue I see with the M9 is it's weight more than it's size. That's a heavy gun. You're a big guy so you may be able to pull it off. But you will probably need a cover shirt to do so. I can say this because I carry a Glock 17 and I'm no where near as big as you! As long as I can wear a cover shirt, I'm totally concealed.

I do suggest you look at lots of other guns before you decide which to get. Also do a lot of reading here. There is a wealth of information at your finger tips! You are gonna need it. A gun/ holster/ gun belt combination is a time and money consuming process. In the end it's worth it. Good hunting!

I use an MTAC holster by Comp-Tac. Great products!
    Question Everything!

Ok, sounds like the M9 is out. The Xd compacts in 45, how are they size and weight. Like that promotion they have going on right now and the price. Have a 32naa, that could consider, but havent found much for that gun yet. Thank you.

I'm not as big, but have been carrying concealed for 40+ years in all kinds of climates. You can carry a large, full size pistol in almost any conceivable situation. What it requires is adjusting your wardrobe to adapt to carrying a gun. For instance, I only buy shirts, jackets, etc. one size too large. In warm weather I routinely conceal a full size semi-auto on my belt, in an OTW holster, with a one size too large cover shirt. Hawaiian shirts work well in warm weather, because they are not intended to be tucked in, and the "busy" pattern tends to break up bulges similar to camouflage. I also carry a cell phone and at least one spare magazine.

In
    HOT weather, I carry a S&W J-frame revolver in .38 spl +P. Slip it in the pocket of my trousers or shorts, usually cargo type, using a pocket holster. The side pockets are great, but I use those to carry keys on one side, and speed loaders on the other side. Over that, I wear the ever-present too big t-shirt, usually a tourist shirt from some place I've visited. I may look like a nerd, but I don't care.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Links