Grip

Grip

This is a discussion on Grip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious to know if anybody else changes their grip depending on which handgun they are currently firing? I have both a full size 9mm ...

Thread: Grip

Grip

I'm curious to know if anybody else changes their grip depending on which handgun they are currently firing?

I have both a full size 9mm and a compact .40 and find that with the 9mm, my grip is what I would call a standard type of grip with the thumb of my left hand overlapping and clamping down on the thumb of my right hand. With the .40, since the grip is smaller, I find that this standard type of grip kind of gets in the way so I tend to move my thumbs up along the rail just below the slide (thumbs pointing forward)

My question in all of this is that I often wonder about a crisis type situation and what would my body and mind revert too, (in terms of the grip) should I need to draw and in that critical moment would I simply confuse myself and loose precious seconds??

Any thoughts?

Basically always the same; a thumbs forward grip with pistols. With the smaller ones the pinky if unable to grip curls under grip. This does change with a revolver where my grip is like yours.

My grip stays the same. The only time it changes is if Im shooting a revolver. Consistency is key IMO..
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    My grip pretty much remains the same regardless. I always stack my firing thumb on my non-firing, never crossing them. It just works best that way for me. With practice and repitition, the confusion of which you speak is eliminated.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Consistency is key IMO..
    Thumbs forward help direct instinct and point shooting. Everything else falls into place depending on the gun.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking, (consistency is king) with the .40 the thumbs forward feels natural, but the 9mm is a bit thicker and my instinct is to wrap as much of my hands as possible around the grip.....Oh dang, guess I need to spend some more time at the range!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    As with the others, I also try to keep things consistent - my off-hand thumb rides the side of the frame on both my full-sized range/class gun as it does with my "Compact" carry gun.

I am a beginner, so I want the odds stacked in my favor, as much as possible. This means training with the "Compact" when I can (i.e. in courses that require concealment), so that if I had to, God-forbid, pull it to defend myself, I actually have a chance of winning. So, even if I'm shooting a full-size, riding OWB instead of IWB and concealed, that pistol is simply the same pistol as my "Compact" carry pistol, only "up-sized."

I'll change my grip for only one reason, that if I kept the same grip, I'll hurt myself.

This means locking my support thumb down if the pistol I'm shooting is so short that the muzzle is right at or shorter than where my thumb would be or, of-course, for revolvers.

Yes, I've practiced shooting when my grip is messed-up, it's reasonable as one can never guaranty that the gun will come cleanly out of the holster, when you're in a fight. But that's not something that I really want to go for: instead every time I draw, my goal is to get that good, dominating, full-fighting/firing grip.

I agree with the same grip all the time. Muscle memory is everything. I do however do quite a bit of one hand shooting also, in case i'm ever in a situation of having to shoot while on the phone with 911 or whatever.

Same grip with each pistol, and weak hand thumb curled over strong hand thumb for revolver. I actually tried thumbs forward grip with a 686 once, just once.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcon67 View Post
    I do however do quite a bit of one hand shooting also...
    Good idea. If you are surprised by an attack, you may very well not have time to get the off hand on the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Good idea. If you are surprised by an attack, you may very well not have time to get the off hand on the pistol.
    Yep... exactly.

Sponsored Links