CCW in California? Tips?Im a business owner.

This is a discussion on CCW in California? Tips?Im a business owner. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone! I am a business owner in southern california and I want to get a ccw. I know that in my county (san diego) ...

Thread: CCW in California? Tips?Im a business owner.

CCW in California? Tips?Im a business owner.

Hello everyone! I am a business owner in southern california and I want to get a ccw. I know that in my county (san diego) the sheriff is the person who issues the permit. I have begun my CCW licensing application. how hard is it to be licensed to carry in california?

can anyone provide any tips for me?

thank you.

tom

2. Remove Ads

Well... There's this...

http://www.equalccw.com/sactoletter.html
    and this...
    http://www.enterstageright.com/archi...102gunlaws.htm

I haven't bothered attempting to apply in Sacramento, but I'll at least have my wife outta here in a month.
    <sarcasm follows>
    According to the Sacramento County Sheriff's CCW application (found here: http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/docu...ccw_policy.pdf
    Pretty much; if you have PROOF that some BG is going to attempt to do something nasty to you OVER AND OVER again, then that is "prima facie good cause" proof that you are a "specifically targeted victim", but save a copy of the police report because you'll need to submit that with your CCW application.
    Otherwise you must be a LEO or change your name to Diane Feinstein .
    Actually, that's probably unfair to Senator Feinstein... she probably wouldn't live in this county.
    </sarcasm off>

I can't help but wonder if any women who have documented proof that they have been stalked have had any success in obtaining a permit in this area?

I've overheard conversations where people discussed sending someone to a phone-booth and having them "anonymously" leave threats on your own answering machine for you so that you would then possess "prima facie good cause".
    But phony and dishonest solutions are a lousy solution for honest people who are simply attempting to assert their right to arm themselves against dishonest creatures of opportunity. And what better opportunity than an honest and "legally" disarmed target victim?
    Again, my mind boggles at the logic.

Seriously, I hope they will issue your permit. Maybe San Diego is more reasonable than Sacramento.
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

Pretty simple should be. You are a business owner and you have money to deposit after business hours. All the reason you should need.

Quote Originally Posted by CDMP
    I am a business owner in southern california and I want to get a ccw. how hard is it to be licensed to carry in california?
    In many places in Calif., it is difficult to provide enough justification for the sheriff to see you have a need. But, as suggested, as a business owner you have responsibility over cash, people, your business. Think hard about the simple, rudimentary reasons why your CCW is justified ... beyond merely complying with the law, exercising your 2A right to carry, etc. In "easy" counties, that can suffice; if the sheriff in your county is tougher about it, you'll have more of a climb.

Definitely, be clear on your basic need/purpose. Be competent and comfortable with safety, handling, the law regarding (a) carry, (b) use of deadly force, (c) protection of property or others. You might consider asking the sheriff about whom in the dept. would be open to personal instruction for-hire. Definitely consider a serious training course, not just one of those 4-8hr evening classes to satisfy the CCW rqmt, as you'll definitely learn far more and show a desire to end up qualified and trained (not merely going through the motions).

I'd also highly recommend John Machtinger's book: "How to Own a Gun and Stay out of Jail: California Edition." It's a highly-readable summary of the relevant laws to carry, use of force, questions like whether you have a duty to retreat, etc. You can generally pick one up in a good firearms shop. It comes out with a new edition each year.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of filling out the application and hoping your sheriff is amenable to folks carrying.

I was a Calif. resident for years. Carried concealed in Humboldt County for 10yrs. The sheriff was definitely "pro" carry, for everyone and not just those with a tremendous need. For me, the "need" was having personally witnessed and been involved with a number of street encounters/situations over the years, including a car 'jacking, a late-night parking lot assault, my having lived alone for a time. To even a "tight" sheriff, this should be seen as reasonable and justified.

Being a resident of Oregon, now, it's decidedly simpler. OR is a shall-issue state. Heck, it's the land of the machine gun, up here, with folks armed to the teeth. Very polite, generally, as well.

You should do fine. Good luck on having a cooperative sheriff.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 10th, 2006 at 12:48 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hello everyone! I am a business owner in southern california and I want to get a ccw. I know that in my county (san diego) the sheriff is the person who issues the permit. I have begun my CCW licensing application. how hard is it to be licensed to carry in california?

thank you.

tom
    www.californiaccw.org check it out before you do anything as it's a great resource

Btw, if you want to use the line that you want to carry at work, be careful as your permit might be denied as you can carry at the place of your business. Seems that in CA the best reason is avid shooter. Helps if you have a friendly range master that will write you a letter that you shoot there often (should you actually shoot there often that is)

Agree with Artz - business owner

I agree with the posting of Artz above - your best bet for "good cause statement" is your status as a business owner, especially if you have cash deposits you take to the bank at night, after you close. But carrying other valuables connected with your business may also suffice. Within the confines of the business you don't need a permit to carry, of course - that is similar to your residence.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar

thank you.

tom
    I know that the Orange County Sherrif issues them fairly liberally. Relative to the rest of the state, OC is almost "shall issue." If I were able to afford to move back to California, that's where I'd go, I grew up there.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

thanks everyone for your continued replys. all good info.

Links