Concealed carry without having your permit in your possession - Page 2

Concealed carry without having your permit in your possession

This is a discussion on Concealed carry without having your permit in your possession within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In NC you absolutely MUST have the card and ID with you if you have your gun concealed....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Concealed carry without having your permit in your possession

In NC you absolutely MUST have the card and ID with you if you have your gun concealed.

One can/may forget a wallet at times...keep a photo copy of your driver's license and CCW permit somewhere in the car...solves one problem.
    rolyat63 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Thankfully SC legislators have a bill somewhere in the process that removes the requirement to have our CWP in hand. Not sure how far it is from a vote though.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

For your own safety sake my thought is NEVER carry anywhere without your permit. These days it's too easy to get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen7 View Post
    the penalty has been removed from the "failure to inform" requirement. So, although you are required to inform an officer if you're carrying and produce the license, if you do not do this, there is no penalty. So effectively, there is no requirement to inform in Texas any longer.
    You are correct in that the penalty has been removed. However, as has been posted earlier in this thread, the statutes still require that you inform the Peace Officer. So, there is a duty to inform. It is on page 28 of your CHL rule book. The statutes are still on the books, so there is still a duty to inform. Please don't confuse lack of penalty with lack of requirement to do something.

As for the OP, I would wait till you get the plastic in hand and keep your permit with you every time you carry your handgun. Congrats by the way.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Correct, the penalty of this law has been eliminated. However, I would imagine most officers would consider not informing them to be a perverbial slap in the face. After all, if you are legally carrying and are an upright citizen with a clear conscience, why wouldn't you let a LEO know you are a good guy. (Trust me, the state of Texas wouldn't have issued the permit if there was ANY indication otherwise). I have heard stories where LEO actually showed mercy and grace in the original motor "violation" once they were informed of the permit and weapon. It is actually a good ice breaker to relax his nerves and re-direct the conversation from your unlawful hurriedness, to another topic...your gun.

"Good afternoon officer...here is my drivers license as well has my Texas issued CHL."

Thank you for informing me sir...do you have your weapon on your person now?"

"Yes sir, it is a Smith & Wesson M&P9 in my console, loaded and chambered"

"Really? I have heard good things about that gun. Would you mind safety checking it and letting me get a feel of it?"

"Not a problem at all, officer. One second....her you go."

"That is nice. Thank you, please drive careful and be safe. Have a nice afternoon."

Sorry for the details, but this was an actual conversation I witnessed as my friend was pulled over doing 50 in a 35 zone.

Bottom line...be courteous and responsible to them, they will do the same for you.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    Thankfully SC legislators have a bill somewhere in the process that removes the requirement to have our CWP in hand. Not sure how far it is from a vote though.
    If it did not pass at least one chamber of congress before the end of May's session, the bill died. According to SC Legislature's web page not one of the 17 weapons related bills passed.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDawg34 View Post
    Correct, the penalty of this law has been eliminated. However, I would imagine most officers would consider not informing them to be a perverbial slap in the face. After all, if you are legally carrying and are an upright citizen with a clear conscience, why wouldn't you let a LEO know you are a good guy. (Trust me, the state of Texas wouldn't have issued the permit if there was ANY indication otherwise). I have heard stories where LEO actually showed mercy and grace in the original motor "violation" once they were informed of the permit and weapon. It is actually a good ice breaker to relax his nerves and re-direct the conversation from your unlawful hurriedness, to another topic...your gun.

"Good afternoon officer...here is my drivers license as well has my Texas issued CHL."

Playing devils advocate here, I've seen this type scenario quoted before. About 25 percent of the time around here if an officer drives up on a traffic stop being done by another member of his department the second car on the scence will stop also, as a courtesy to the first officer. Would you want to be holding a gun when this officer rolls up? I realize if the officer ask you to hand him the gun you have to comply, at least here in Michigan, but hopefully I would never have to do that. I would prefer the officer just ask me to keep my hand away from the gun.

Thank you for informing me sir...do you have your weapon on your person now?"

"Yes sir, it is a Smith & Wesson M&P9 in my console, loaded and chambered"

"Really? I have heard good things about that gun. Would you mind safety checking it and letting me get a feel of it?"

"Not a problem at all, officer. One second....her you go."

"That is nice. Thank you, please drive careful and be safe. Have a nice afternoon."

Sorry for the details, but this was an actual conversation I witnessed as my friend was pulled over doing 50 in a 35 zone.

Bottom line...be courteous and responsible to them, they will do the same for you.
    Playing devils advocate here, I've seen this type scenario quoted before. About 25 percent of the time around here if an officer drives up on a traffic stop being done by another member of his department the second car on the scene will stop also, as a courtesy to the first officer. Would you want to be holding a gun when this officer rolls up? I realize if the officer ask you to hand him the gun you have to comply, at least here in Michigan, but hopefully I would never have to do that. I would prefer the officer just ask me to keep my hand away from the gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links